Central May Be About To Collapse

Phil Conners

There are quite a few people on TV that say they have engineering degrees so I'd like to know what they think. Personally I hate Central I find it to be loud and dirty, Airport Plaza is much more modern and has a reasonable sound level but in either case parking stinks.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are quite a few people on TV that say they have engineering degrees so I'd like to know what they think. Personally I hate Central I find it to be loud and dirty, Airport Plaza is much more modern and has a reasonable sound level but in either case parking stinks.

Pattaya airport plaza? Sorry could not resist :)

It is what it is, three options really to consider.

1. Structural designer's mistake, noticed in after the column was casted and rectified with the steel support in the pic

2. Contractors mistake, noticed after the column was casted and rectified with the steel support in the pic

3. Cracks appearing in the slab, does not necessary mean there is any risk of failure but the connection reinforced just in case

Now if all the columns have been reinforced then it points to no 1 or 2. If only one for few of them are reinforced it is more likely no 3.

However no one without studying the structural calculations and seeing the detailed designs and rebar inspection photos/report can say for sure. In any case i would not stop visiting the building, obviously if there was any mistakes in design or construction they have now been investigated and rectified.

Cases like the korean one referred here the main cause for loss of life was that the issues were reported but not acted upon until it was too late.

It sure is not normal anyway, all you condo dwellers here take a look around your buildings, new or old, and i doubt if you will see such add on's!!

The absence of extra supports in other buildings in Pattaya doesn't mean they are not necessary. Your comment proves nothing at all.

Not trying to prove anything, simply making a comparison.

OK, maybe "prove" was the wrong word to use, but the absence of added supports in other buildings doesn't indicate that they are constructed better than Central. They may well need supporting.

"Some may remember the Seoul department store that collapsed 10-15 years ago"

And remember that when the cracks first appeared the main priority was to assure shoppers and employees that everything was fine. When the rumbling started, the superintendent of the building personally went around to assure everyone that it was nothing. When he was told that the cracks in the floors were widening, he insisted that too much money would be lost by closing the store. He died along with everyone else, but that doesn't seem to be equitable. Ah, there is the hel_l thing!

Sometimes I think that concern for safety is mostly a Western idea. I was in Cambodia a few months ago and there was an idiot with a long metal pipe attempting to dislodge a branch from power lines while his supervisor and coworkers looked on with blank stares. Predictably, his genius created showers of sparks resulting in bewildered and burned shirtless cohorts. Is there something in the air in Asia that they just can't seem to see these things coming?

"Some may remember the Seoul department store that collapsed 10-15 years ago"

And remember that when the cracks first appeared the main priority was to assure shoppers and employees that everything was fine. When the rumbling started, the superintendent of the building personally went around to assure everyone that it was nothing. When he was told that the cracks in the floors were widening, he insisted that too much money would be lost by closing the store. He died along with everyone else, but that doesn't seem to be equitable. Ah, there is the hel_l thing!

Yeah, sure, but that building was showing some very serious cracking before it collapsed. The whole roof was seriously damaged, the roof that was supposed to hold up airconditioning units way over design weight.

If you can find some cracks, I'm sure some people (engineers) will take this forums general paranoia to another level. There's people so spooked on this forum that they are won't even go into the building...now that's some pretty serious paranoia. I'm surprised these people can even make the flight over to Thailand.

If you can find some cracks, I'm sure some people (engineers) will take this forums general paranoia to another level. There's people so spooked on this forum that they are won't even go into the building...now that's some pretty serious paranoia. I'm surprised these people can even make the flight over to Thailand.

In every RC constructed building in the world you will find cracks, go and have a look in your own condo, or house, you will find "cracks" everywhere. The trick is understanding which cracks will compromise the integrity of the structure.

You mention airplanes, if people only knew how many cracks an average jet liner has in it, but these are expected, designed for, and have very strigent criteria applied to them. ie a part must be replaced when crack reaches "X" size or they are "stop drilled" to stop them progressing.

My intent here is not to raise to level of paranoia, but to state a fact, most fabricated/constructued items things have cracks in them.......but not all cracks will compromise the integrity of a structure.

Now we have lurched from possible collapsing shopping malls to fear of flying and stress-fractures in airframes. All this by page 2!!!

This thread is goin' to h3ll in a handbasket faster than the Democrats.

Edited by NanLaew

to this subject i can only say.

we are in thailand.

we are dealing with engeniers building something that they might not know much of.

and also the less concret used from the workers, means more money for them to use.

see the roads. every few meters there is a big hole in the street, meaning on that part of the road they have used less concret that they supposed have done.

but as i said we are in thailand.

AMAZING THAILAND

I haven't looked at this one, but a cautionaryy tale :

Teheran's Mehrabad Airport was supervised by consultant Brian Colquhoun

Then came the heavy winter snowfall - and the whole dam_n thing collapsed.

Result - a spell in jail for the Brian Colquhoon rep.

I left Iran at about that time and don't know the end of the story.

Thanks for the head up, I will avoid Central every time when its snowing :)

if there would be any snow in thailand, then i will not wonder why thhe snow will not be as white then in the european countries.

white europeans, dark skinned thais.!.

WOW - A Racist comes out of the closest

if there would be any snow in thailand, then i will not wonder why thhe snow will not be as white then in the european countries.

white europeans, dark skinned thais.!.

WOW - A Racist comes out of the closest

well he will be right at home here in thailand then, won't he? :)

we are in thailand.

we are dealing with engeniers building something that they might not know much of.

and also the less concret used from the workers, means more money for them to use.

see the roads. every few meters there is a big hole in the street, meaning on that part of the road they have used less concret that they supposed have done.

AMAZING THAILAND

Actually Thai engineers are quite well educated and know their trade. Accidents happen everywhere especially during construction and no it does not mean something was not designed well or shoddy concrete was used if there is collapse during construction. Most often these are related to accidents happening during construction and lifting of heavy items that result in collapse.

Road are mainly asphalt, not concrete here. Even though some highways have concrete sections on them. However have not seen many holes in them. Seen much worse in places like Phils, Indo etc but also in state of New York...

Just take a look around, this aint europe but aint so bad either...

we are in thailand.

AMAZING THAILAND

Actually Thai engineers are quite well educated and know their trade. Accidents happen everywhere especially during construction and no it does not mean something was not designed well or shoddy concrete was used if there is collapse during construction. Most often these are related to accidents happening during construction and lifting of heavy items that result in collapse.

Road are mainly asphalt, not concrete here. Even though some highways have concrete sections on them. However have not seen many holes in them. Seen much worse in places like Phils, Indo etc but also in state of New York...

Just take a look around, this aint europe but aint so bad either...

Take a drive from Pattaya into Jomtien on Thappraya Rd. You will find more holes in that street then in the street in many countrys. Its the perfect place to have a Moto Cross Race.

Pattaya the off road City.

Road are mainly asphalt, not concrete here. Even though some highways have concrete sections on them. However have not seen many holes in them.

Hmm obviously you don't drive or go out much do you? :)

Exactly what I was going to say!

Just about every road I drive to get where I want on has potholes in it.

I don't know but I think it is very worrying to think about what may happen if just one such pillar gives in for the weight on top - 6 floors of mall + another 8 or so of a hotel on top of it.... :D

What an alarmist post ... :)

First there is NO hotel on top of these pillars.

The hotel is only over the end sea side of the mall while the car park is on the 2nd road side only.

Then there are NO "6 floors of mall" above neither. This corner of the building is "car parks" only.

Now I agree that this "reinforcement" is not the best for such a new building,

but that also means that someone take care of this kind of potential problem :D

:D

Im no construction expert but i do know one thing........ If im ever in there and there is a heavy snowfall, i'll be first one out of the doors!

At least those inward opening doors wont get stuck in the snow :)

I aint going in there period

There's people so spooked on this forum that they are won't even go into the building...now that's some pretty serious paranoia. I'm surprised these people can even make the flight over to Thailand.

Given that the Thais botch most concrete jobs and hammer in screws, I'd rather not take the risk. Honestly, what's there that I can't get in another mall without taking the risk?

Actually Thai engineers are quite well educated and know their trade.

It's not the well educated and well paid Thai engineers I'm worried about. It's the Issan farmer who is pouring the concrete for 150b a day that has me on edge.

I don't know but I think it is very worrying to think about what may happen if just one such pillar gives in for the weight on top - 6 floors of mall + another 8 or so of a hotel on top of it.... :D

What an alarmist post ... :)

First there is NO hotel on top of these pillars.

The hotel is only over the end sea side of the mall while the car park is on the 2nd road side only.

Then there are NO "6 floors of mall" above neither. This corner of the building is "car parks" only.

Now I agree that this "reinforcement" is not the best for such a new building,

but that also means that someone take care of this kind of potential problem :D

:D

I aint parking my car in there either

After completion extra air conditioning was added. In order to put in the ductwork the supporting columns were chipped a little (!!!)

After installing the air-conditioning the authorities decided to add a restaurant - on top of the existing building.

All without knowledge or approval of the BC teheran rep.

I had lunch in the airport restaurant the day before it collapsed and it was snowing heavily. Winter of 1974 as I recall.

I don't know the end of the story either.

Another potentially lethal design flaw: The main exit doors on the ground floor leading to the beach side open toward the *inside.* In the case of an emergency stampede, the doors should open *outward.*

Perhaps you had consumed a few bevy's before going through the doors to the beach, they are definatley swing doors which open in either direction at ground level.

This I know as a bunch of Thais came charging through as I was about to enter.

^ Yet ANOTHER alarmist, "Thai's can't do anything right", internet myth is rent asunder. This is a good thread after all. Here's hoping it embraces tailor shop touts, police volunteers, visa runners and lady boys before it dies a natural death.

Oh yes, and this week's 'requirements' for a Thai DL renewal.

Thanks!

After completion extra air conditioning was added. In order to put in the ductwork the supporting columns were chipped a little (!!!)

After installing the air-conditioning the authorities decided to add a restaurant - on top of the existing building.

All without knowledge or approval of the BC teheran rep.

I had lunch in the airport restaurant the day before it collapsed and it was snowing heavily. Winter of 1974 as I recall.

I don't know the end of the story either.

Snow and rain are different only because of temerature.

Pattaya can get rain, sometimes even lots of it. :)