Anyone Else Having This Problem?

Niloc

I installed 9.04 on the desktop and a laptop.

A 'sudo apt-get update gives me

<<<<<<<

Reading package lists... Error!

E: Encountered a section with no Package: header

E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/th.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_jaunty-updates_restricted_binary-i386_Packages

E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

>>>>>>>

I cannot install any new utilities such as wvdial or gparted, they all stop at the same place with the same result...

Is this me or Ubuntu 9.04 and is there going to be a fix??

Colin

That sounds like the kind of problem would be at the archive and should be temp.  Maybe you caught them in a rsync state.   Try again or can you select another set of source.   bandwidth seems good today try a AU server.

Pclos repos are unpredictable, I had to try them all before finding two reliable servers. "File not found" or or connection timeouts on others were regular.

At the moment I'm considering installing 9.10 over OpenSuse as I'm stuck with printing problems that might get fixed in Ubuntu. At least I have a driver that was reported working in 8.10 and 9.04.

Unfortunately I need to restart the system to check if the driver works, so trying it from LiveCD is useless.

Don't they have another entry for software packages, next to Synaptic? I thought that was the one where you can edit the repos.

Also, Synaptic on KDE has repo servers under Edit menu, in Gnome it might be different.

Not sure in ubuntu, but in synaptic just select another repo in setting > repo only select one at a time de select the other, but some distro they use several repo at the same time for diff. sections so check with the ubuntu forum. 

Colin,

In Ubuntu 9.04, click on System, then Administration, then go down the list for Software Sources. You will need to input your administration password. On the first tab for Ubuntu Software, you will see Download from. For me, it said server for Thailand. I have played around with other servers at times, but Thailand usually comes up with being the best. If you click on the down arrow, you will get more choices. Choose Others. You will then get the list of all of the servers around the world. If you click on Select Best Server, it will then ping each server and tell you which one is the fastest. I just did it, and it came up with Thailand again. When you are done choosing your server, reload and it will close by itself. I haven't added any new programs for a while, but I am not having any problems getting any updates.

Higgy

Pclos repos are unpredictable, I had to try them all before finding two reliable servers. "File not found" or or connection timeouts on others were regular.

At the moment I'm considering installing 9.10 over OpenSuse as I'm stuck with printing problems that might get fixed in Ubuntu. At least I have a driver that was reported working in 8.10 and 9.04.

Unfortunately I need to restart the system to check if the driver works, so trying it from LiveCD is useless.

You might want to check this out,  all the mirrors serve all the distro  this is just example of the th one.  http://www.mirror.in.th/osarchive/

If it times out its not working for all these distro's ether.  File not found when you hit reload its a connection problem.  

If it reloads the file will be found because you can't search for whats not on the list.  That should help with what ever distro you use.

Glad I could help. Usually I'm on the receiving end.

I'm curious which server was giving you problems. Do you remember what it was?

Also, did you have it choose the best server for you, and if so, which one was it?

For me it's http://www.mirror.in.th/osarchive/ubuntu just as RKASA suggested.

edit, interesting. I just copied the http from RKASA and just added ubuntu. Didn't expect to come up as a link

Edited by higgy88

Yes, it was the main Ubuntu server, now I am on the TH one.

I have installed three computers (desktop and two laptops) with 9.04 and they all are now working well.

I am now trying to get my mobile to connect, my home in Chiang Mai does not have a landline so the mobile has got to work!.

I suspect I have to buy some time...

Its all good fun.....

Colin

Dump all that Linux Ubuntu rubbish it's all cr**p.

Use Microsoft XP, Vista or the new Windows 7 like the majority of computer users.

Be one of smart people use Microsoft products.

An interesting contribution to a Ubuntu thread where a question has been asked and successfully resolved.

Would you care to elaborate on your lucid and well reasoned comment?

@phil2, since the issue that started this thread has been answered the thread will probably disappear into the ether now, may I suggest that you start a new thread, state exactly what is the issue and what you have tried so far to resolve it.

Try to include all relevant info such as what OS (and what version), do you have any other machines it the house that can get on line, any software or hardware upgrades you have done recently etc etc. If you are newish to the world of *nixes then say so so that people can tailor their suggestions to your skill level :)