Pattaya Tourists

Lancelot

I find this immensely amusing

If you wish to discuss a completely different issue from a completely different thread, please post it there. I am played out on the back in spades comment, in spades ... If some of you don't understand English, please take a class. Cheers!

Idiom:

in spades

To a considerable degree: They had financial trouble in spades.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know exactly what you meant, I know you just coincidentally used the term "in spades" right next to a racial reference. Why do you keep pretending we don't understand? Now you are frustrating because you refuse to see the humour of your coincidence. Quite annoying really. If you had a lighter attitude about it instead of getting defensive it wouldn't have bothered you at all and it would be funny to everyone all around.

Anyway, I was just lightheartedly poking fun at you, you were on one side before about racial terms and their misuse by nationalities whose cultures don't use them and now your on the other side, it is a funny situation. Whether you see it or not.

LaughingMan, I hereby grant you the LAST WORD. Continuing to joust with you over such a triviality would indicate I am even more bonkers than many of you already believe ... in spades!

:)

:D :D :D :D :D

Edited by Jingthing

I know a few Thai hairdersser and they have told me that the Indians come in and try to hagel the price of a hair cut down. They all refuse them - they also say they're a little on the smelly side :D

A little ? :) Man, try to sit next to one on a baht bus and see if you can survive till the next stop....

I know a few Thai hairdersser and they have told me that the Indians come in and try to hagel the price of a hair cut down. They all refuse them - they also say they're a little on the smelly side :D

A little ? :D Man, try to sit next to one on a baht bus and see if you can survive till the next stop....

I was being diplomatic :) It is not PC to speak openly and honestly - thats why I refrained from saying that they absolutley stink :D Not all of them though :D

The US usage phrase "back in spades" to repeat ad nauseum has NOTHING to with either black people OR garden tools! Words have multiple meanings and grammatical functions. Back in spades simply means a thing will return at a later time in the extreme, in the context of the comment, it meant caucasian tourists would be returning in great numbers during their traditional winter season, it was much more elegant to say back in spades, I would do it again as it is correct, non-offensive usage. I am not going to apologize when there is nothing to apologize about.

Yes, the word spade when used as a NOUN and referring to people rather than a garden tool is indeed offensive, but I did not do that.

Yes, a bit like dull, in the US it means blunt,but if used in the uk the word can be taken as an insult, that child is dull for instance ( also means not clever )

A little ? :D Man, try to sit next to one on a baht bus and see if you can survive till the next stop....

I was being diplomatic :) It is not PC to speak openly and honestly - thats why I refrained from saying that they absolutley stink :D Not all of them though :D

True, i met one that didnt smell once, :D

Same in the US when the word is used alone outside talking about cards or garden tools. Perhaps you don't have the common phrase BACK IN SPADES there, almost an everyday usage phrase in the US and 100 percent non-offensive, I guarantee you that.

He's correct, coming from someone who has been called a "spade" and worse I can definitely say the above post was not offensive at all and simply means back in bountiful numbers, nothing more.

Same in the US when the word is used alone outside talking about cards or garden tools. Perhaps you don't have the common phrase BACK IN SPADES there, almost an everyday usage phrase in the US and 100 percent non-offensive, I guarantee you that.

He's correct, coming from someone who has been called a "spade" and worse I can definitely say the above post was not offensive at all and simply means back in bountiful numbers, nothing more.

But its black people that call each other what are now perceived as worse names ... i can see somewhere in the near future where the terms "black people" or "he's black" will be deemed racist, for merely mentioning the skin colour.

[

haha I think this is a tounge in cheek, comment about Jinthings crusade for political correctness. A spade in the UK is the same as the N word in the US

Im from the UK, and ive never heard spade being used as a slang term in that way. So, its a first for me. I know the expression "back in spades" well though, for use in exactly the way jingthing used it.

Same here. In UK a spade is something you use to dig with as in a 'bucket and spade' that kids would take to the beach.

For UK slang words for black people (we don't have African British in UK) refer to the TV series "Love Thy Neighbour" which is no longer PC.

You're obviously both youngsters :)

'Spade' has been used in the UK as a derogatory term for black people although not for some time now.

Edited by endure

Last night (June 6) I decided to have a night out so I headed for Walking Street, Pattaya. I went to one of my favorite go-gos and had a couple of beers and generally enjoyed myself, but decided to call it a night at about 11 PM. I strolled down WS towards the Bali Hai Pier, went into a 7-11 and bought a water. I stood near the Walking Street and Soi 16 intersection and watched the crowd pass by and it suddenly dawned on me that the vast majority of people were not caucasins but Indians, Arabs and Chinese.

Now there is absolutely nothing wrong with those tourists visiting and good for Thailand for attracting them-and their money. Pattaya/Walking Street has always had a "United Nations" feel to it but in the past, I'd say that the majority of people there were European, Americans and Brits. The paradigm shift didn't happen suddenly but I did not realize it until last night. I walked around a bit more and noticed that the open air bars did not have many customers but the few they had were mostly european/caucasins.

Anyway, I have been pondering how the change will affect Pattaya, Thailand and me. Will the Indians, Arabs and Chinese (IAC) start retiring here in large numbers? Will the IACs buy houses and populate East Pattaya? Or will they just visit but not become resident expats? Will they spend more or less than the western expats and tourists? If the IACs do settle here, how will they integrate with the Thais? Interesting changes ahead for sure...

On a personal level, I need to rethink my investments and perhaps allocate more to emerging markets.

Yep, interesting times :)

I am there every night and i think walking is now about 20% Caucasians and this wont change for quite a while

Come November, the white folks will be back in spades ...

An unfortunate phrase, in the UK more than enough for the chattering classes to take to the streets.

Really? I didn't see it as offensive.

Back on topic, I think even in the high season we are going to see a majority of non caucasins on WS. I think it has a lot to do with the growing middles classses in newly emerging countries and age demographics. The west is aging but Asia -with the exception of Japan- is relatively "young." Young people travel :)

yes same look happening in Nana on suhkumvit the number of westerners is vanishing I went for a walk down Soi Cowboy and it was deserted did not expect things would get this bad I am thinking the non-smoking in public places will scare a lot of tourists away the rising prices in Thailand will not help.

I know what spades means! But when used in the phrase BACK IN SPADES the word SPADES has a completely different meaning! Jeez!

And you are wrong BACK IN SPADES is NOT offensive, at least in the US; spades does NOT refer to people when used in that incredibly common usage phrase. It means IN THE EXTREME.

Jingie, the man was nice to you, just teaching you something. Why you always start shouting when people are nice to you and teach you something your obviously clueless about?

Jingie, don't be such an angry person, your not in the US anymore, calm down :-) No need to be pumped up anymore.

Mbl

The US usage phrase "back in spades" to repeat ad nauseum has NOTHING to with either black people OR garden tools! Words have multiple meanings and grammatical functions. Back in spades simply means a thing will return at a later time in the extreme, in the context of the comment, it meant caucasian tourists would be returning in great numbers during their traditional winter season, it was much more elegant to say back in spades, I would do it again as it is correct, non-offensive usage. I am not going to apologize when there is nothing to apologize about.

Yes, the word spade when used as a NOUN and referring to people rather than a garden tool is indeed offensive, but I did not do that.

Hahahha Jingie you really don't get the point, falling of my chair with laughter hahahha, your cute:-)

Hookah pipes are illegal in Thailand.

Just yet another law that goes unenforced unfortunately.

Are they really? I wonder why. I rather like to see the Arabs around town, it gives the place a more international feel, and gives us even more choice of restaurants ...

Wash your mouth out man - what next camel rides on the beach :)

Why, I like having such diversity in Pattaya, makes guys like JT and myself look better.

I bet these Arabs are Man U0 fans too unless they are from Manchester lol.

I know what spades means! But when used in the phrase BACK IN SPADES the word SPADES has a completely different meaning! Jeez!

And you are wrong BACK IN SPADES is NOT offensive, at least in the US; spades does NOT refer to people when used in that incredibly common usage phrase. It means IN THE EXTREME.

Jingie, the man was nice to you, just teaching you something. Why you always start shouting when people are nice to you and teach you something your obviously clueless about?

Jingie, don't be such an angry person, your not in the US anymore, calm down :-) No need to be pumped up anymore.

Mbl

jingie knows full well what a "spade" is in America. if it was another thread and someone posted what he posted he would be all over him. He might be a nice guy in person, dont know, but on this site he is a drama queen. his posts read like short stories and get more unbelievable as the post goes on. jingie, JAI YEN YEN, dude, life is good here