Pattaya Tourists

Lancelot

My 60 baht haircuts (yes I tip on that a whopping 40 baht) are just as good as the 1000 baht cuts I used to get in the US. In other words, nothing special, not bad, no need to be a fashion plate here if you know what I mean ... BTW, the US version didn't include a shave around the sides and a head massage! I have indeed paid much more here and gotten worse results, what you pay is meaningless, its who you go to, just like sometimes street food is the tastiest around.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a few Thai hairdersser and they have told me that the Indians come in and try to hagel the price of a hair cut down.

Down from what? My Thai hair guy does me for 60 baht!

Not for a woman in Patts! Maybe you don't pay for your partners hairdo - but I can assure you a lady pays a considerable lot more tha 60 baht. manicure 100 min. You know that :D

PS can you please post a photo of a 60 baht haircut - my small dog cost 250 baht!

Note: Jing's response made no mention of haircuts or barbers. :)

No, but he has clarified - saying it includes a head massage :D

Hookah pipes are illegal in Thailand.

Just yet another law that goes unenforced unfortunately.

What you got against the Shesha (the Hooka Pipes)... man when I used to live in Pattaya, many nights I would hang out around 11pm or so around the Arab area at one of the many places to smoke sheesha, and get a apple flavor pipe and some tea with milk and just watch the girls go by untill the early morning. Sometimes a cutey would come over and chat, and go home, some times with me lol. But it was always a nice relaxed enjoyable experiance.

Different nationalities have different seasons. Come November, the white folks will be back in spades ...
That was naughty :D
Really? I didn't see it as offensive.
I don't understand the reaction to my post; perhaps the phrase back in spades has a different meaning in the UK. It is perfectly acceptable in US English, in the context it meant: white people will be back in Pattaya "in the extreme" (in large numbers).

Ok Class... :D

The word "Spade" also was a common offensive disparaging term that was used for us black folks back in the day, on account of the color of the symbol used in that playing card's name. But It' mostly fallen out of general usage in the past 30 - 40 years in most parts of The United States of America, ( I assume that it may still be in use in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, I don't know - last time I was there, Margaret Thatcher was still the Prime Minister ... ).

Jingthing's conscious use of the word in that original post was the informal definition , but since it also has the old offensive definition, he at the same time made a sort of an unconsciously racist, yet quite funny ironic turn of phrase.....

"White people will be back in Spades".... :)

I'm surprised he didn't know, Jingthing must be a young guy....

Well, In a sense, I'm glad he and Lancelot here didn't know or never heard of the other meaning. That's for the best, don't you think? :D

Anyway, back to the original topic, As for Indians and Chinese tourist numbers increasing in Pattaya, Lancelot is right - you're going to see more and more as the years go on, and demographic trends continue , and see less and less European - looking dudes ( even the Australians will look more and more like the Thais , or more specifically "Indo - Chinese" in the coming decades as more Chinese and Indians numbers increase and intermarry there - Dark Skin and the epicanthic eye fold ( asian eye ) genes are dominant Genotypes over white skin and "Round eyes". ). Of course, India and China are also a *whole lot* closer to Australia, not to mention Thailand, than Europe ( including North America ), travel wise, and as air-fuel becomes more and more expensive , it will only be logical .

Pattaya in 2030 will look very different, I bet on that!

I know what spades means! But when used in the phrase BACK IN SPADES the word SPADES has a completely different meaning! Jeez!

And you are wrong BACK IN SPADES is NOT offensive, at least in the US; spades does NOT refer to people when used in that incredibly common usage phrase. It means IN THE EXTREME.

Edited by Jingthing

Different nationalities have different seasons. Come November, the white folks will be back in spades ...

That was naughty :)

haha I think this is a tounge in cheek, comment about Jinthings crusade for political correctness. A spade in the UK is the same as the N word in the US

Same in the US when the word is used alone outside talking about cards or garden tools. Perhaps you don't have the common phrase BACK IN SPADES there, almost an everyday usage phrase in the US and 100 percent non-offensive, I guarantee you that.

I know a few Thai hairdersser and they have told me that the Indians come in and try to hagel the price of a hair cut down.

..and how much for the haircut? :) ..sorry, couldn't resist

China has a huge middle class, larger than the entire population of the US or the EC.

That´s simply wrong !

Entire population of US ? About 270 Mill. (?) That may be about the whole Chinese population working in the new economy (80 % are still farmers ! ) But not all of them are middle-class!

I know what spades means! But when used in the phrase BACK IN SPADES the word SPADES has a completely different meaning! Jeez!

And you are wrong BACK IN SPADES is NOT offensive, at least in the US; spades does NOT refer to people when used in that incredibly common usage phrase. It means IN THE EXTREME.

Correct. The expression's use of the word "spades" refers to card games where the spade suit is the highest ranking suit in the deck. If two hands were identical, but one was spades and the other was either clubs, hearts or diamonds, then the hand in spades would win.

A spade is a garden tool. "Back in spades" means if you used a spade to to move something then you could move more in one go, at least that's the way I understand it although there will always be a non white person who will claim that if you use the term spade then you are being racist.

Brigante7.

Jingthing, Of course the phase " Back in Spades" is not offensive. I did not say that.

Please re - read my post. Please.

I said that the word " Spades " was an old derogatory term for blacks , not often used anymore in America, but I guess still used in England.

Now, when you said the the Phrase "White folks back in Spades" , it would be interpreted by some as a double entendre joke for those people who *DO* know the double meaning of the term "Spade". And not to imply that you purposely wrote that in mind.

From The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition:

Spade ( meaning 1 )

1. A sturdy digging tool having a thick handle and a heavy, flat blade that can be pressed into the ground with the foot.

2. Any of various similar digging or cutting tools.

tr.v. spad·ed, spad·ing, spades

To dig or cut with a spade.

Spade ( meaning 2 )

1. Games

a. A black, leaf-shaped figure on certain playing cards.

b. A playing card with this figure.

c. also spades (used with a sing. or pl. verb) The suit of cards represented by this figure.

2. Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a Black person.

Idiom:

in spades

To a considerable degree: They had financial trouble in spades.

Jingthing you used the Idiom of the word, but as you can see above, it does has multiple meanings.

All I did was simply to just point that out.

So relax, you unintentionally made a funny joke. And I am not offended.

Khao jai mai khrap ? :)

Edited by Narachon

That was naughty :)

haha I think this is a tounge in cheek, comment about Jinthings crusade for political correctness. A spade in the UK is the same as the N word in the US

Im from the UK, and ive never heard spade being used as a slang term in that way. So, its a first for me. I know the expression "back in spades" well though, for use in exactly the way jingthing used it.

You see more pakistanis walking up and down w/s because as everyone knows they are tighter than cramp and will not go in the bars because of the prices, hence groups of males with one girl from beer bars.

I wonder if i am going to be called racist now????? :)

It is obviously a bad thing for the traditional Patts buisinesses i.e. birds and booze and international eating.

All of the races mentioned generally eat only their own food. Esp Indians - curry for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

I know a few Thai hairdersser and they have told me that the Indians come in and try to hagel the price of a hair cut down. They all refuse them - they also say they're a little on the smelly side :)

I don't have a problem with Indians -we're all foreigners here- but I saw one Thai lady that did...

I'm standing near WS and Soi 16 and saw an Indian guy yaking on his cell phone. He walks over to a shop and sits down smack infront of the door, effectively blocking any potential customers from entering or leaving. One of the Thai staff girls comes over and tells him to move; he then stands up and tries to enter the shop. The Thai lady points to a sign attached to the door "No phones!" The guy ignores her, continues to speak loudly on his phone and tries to go around the lady. She moves to block him so he shifts to the left. They continue to do this little dance while she starts screaming "You can't come in here!" and he continues to ignore her and chat away on his phone. He finally walks away, continuing to chat away on his phone like it never happened and the Thai lady is going berserk like he is still there trying to get inside...

Some of the sights you see down there, 555! :D

2 points.

First, a piece of advice. NEVER haggle over the price of a haircut.

Second, the OP asked about long-term effects. I see a steady trend to the apartheiding of establishments. This massage joint for the Chinese, this club for the Japanese, this restaurant for the Indians. This trend will grow into streets and blocks for one ethnic grouping.

Jingthing, Of course the phase " Back in Spades" is not offensive. I did not say that.

Please re - read my post. Please.

I said that the word " Spades " was an old derogatory term for blacks , not often used anymore in America, but I guess still used in England.

Now, when you said the the Phrase "White folks back in Spades" , it would be interpreted by some as a double entendre joke for those people who *DO* know the double meaning of the term "Spade". And not to imply that you purposely wrote that in mind.

From The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition:

Spade ( meaning 1 )

1. A sturdy digging tool having a thick handle and a heavy, flat blade that can be pressed into the ground with the foot.

2. Any of various similar digging or cutting tools.

tr.v. spad·ed, spad·ing, spades

To dig or cut with a spade.

Spade ( meaning 2 )

1. Games

a. A black, leaf-shaped figure on certain playing cards.

b. A playing card with this figure.

c. also spades (used with a sing. or pl. verb) The suit of cards represented by this figure.

2. Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a Black person.

Idiom:

in spades

To a considerable degree: They had financial trouble in spades.

Jingthing you used the Idiom of the word, but as you can see above, it does has multiple meanings.

All I did was simply to just point that out.

So relax, you unintentionally made a funny joke. And I am not offended.

Khao jai mai khrap ? :)

I like your last two posts Narachon. I don't recall seeing you post before but you sound like a well-informed jai yen kinda guy!

It was a cute word-play. All the more so if Jing didn't realize it. :D

I like your last two posts Narachon. I don't recall seeing you post before but you sound like a well-informed jai yen kinda guy!

It was a cute word-play. All the more so if Jing didn't realize it. :)

yes all good...but one request if I can narachon, please change your avatar..it makes me want to throw up everytime i look at.... Lord only knows what it does to others.

China has a huge middle class, larger than the entire population of the US or the EC.

That´s simply wrong !

Entire population of US ? About 270 Mill. (?) That may be about the whole Chinese population working in the new economy (80 % are still farmers ! ) But not all of them are middle-class!

OK, let me re-phrase that. The US population is about 306,000,000.  World Bank estimates range to about 247 million Chinese "middle class" and 70 million Chinese "upper class."  So a more correct phrasing should be that the Chinese have more middle and upper class people than the entire population of the US.  And for the sake of the point of Chinese tourists, including the upper class in this is appropriate.

And with the additions to the EC, yes, the current EC population is larger than the Chinese upper and middle classes as of this year.

But a middle class Chinese person earns in the region of 7000 USD, in the West this is classed as being on the breadline.

True, (although I don't know what the actual monetary cut-off is.)  However, middle class has to do with discretionary income.  If food, medical, housing costs, etc. are low, then the cut-off for being middle class is low. Middle class takes much more income in Moscow, Tokyo, or New York than in other places in thw world.

And with discretionary income, many people will choose to travel.

Your hair guy does you and for only 60 :)

Jokes aside I don't think it matters indian or western, any one that reads a travel book thinks they have to haggle every thing, that everything can and should be haggled down....

[

Im from the UK, and ive never heard spade being used as a slang term in that way. So, its a first for me. I know the expression "back in spades" well though, for use in exactly the way jingthing used it.

Same here. In UK a spade is something you use to dig with as in a 'bucket and spade' that kids would take to the beach.

For UK slang words for black people (we don't have African British in UK) refer to the TV series "Love Thy Neighbour" which is no longer PC.

The US usage phrase "back in spades" to repeat ad nauseum has NOTHING to with either black people OR garden tools! Words have multiple meanings and grammatical functions. Back in spades simply means a thing will return at a later time in the extreme, in the context of the comment, it meant caucasian tourists would be returning in great numbers during their traditional winter season, it was much more elegant to say back in spades, I would do it again as it is correct, non-offensive usage. I am not going to apologize when there is nothing to apologize about.

Yes, the word spade when used as a NOUN and referring to people rather than a garden tool is indeed offensive, but I did not do that.

Edited by Jingthing

But a middle class Chinese person earns in the region of 7000 USD, in the West this is classed as being on the breadline.

What ever their income is, they can be found strolling down WS :)

The US usage phrase "back in spades" to repeat ad nauseum has NOTHING to with either black people OR garden tools! Words have multiple meanings and grammatical functions. Back in spades simply means a thing will return at a later time in the extreme, in the context of the comment, it meant caucasian tourists would be returning in great numbers during their traditional winter season, it was much more elegant to say back in spades, I would do it again as it is correct, non-offensive usage. I am not going to apologize when there is nothing to apologize about.

Yes, the word spade when used as a NOUN and referring to people rather than a garden tool is indeed offensive, but I did not do that.

I am sure that everyone accepts that you used this phrase innocently.

There is no need to apologise.

As someone aware of the pejorative use of "spade", however, your unintentional wording did raise a smile with me.

Forgedaboudit! :)

Stop being difficult, you know the fact that you put "spades" right after "white folk" makes it seem like you are trying to be clever, instead of just coincidence. I find this immensely amusing that you went after people so vehemently for the term uppity as being derogatory towards black people but here now a couple of months later you are getting upset that someone pointed out that using the word spade so close to mentioning race looks suspect. You are too funny my friend.