Pattaya Tourists

Lancelot

Last night (June 6) I decided to have a night out so I headed for Walking Street, Pattaya. I went to one of my favorite go-gos and had a couple of beers and generally enjoyed myself, but decided to call it a night at about 11 PM. I strolled down WS towards the Bali Hai Pier, went into a 7-11 and bought a water. I stood near the Walking Street and Soi 16 intersection and watched the crowd pass by and it suddenly dawned on me that the vast majority of people were not caucasins but Indians, Arabs and Chinese.

Now there is absolutely nothing wrong with those tourists visiting and good for Thailand for attracting them-and their money. Pattaya/Walking Street has always had a "United Nations" feel to it but in the past, I'd say that the majority of people there were European, Americans and Brits. The paradigm shift didn't happen suddenly but I did not realize it until last night. I walked around a bit more and noticed that the open air bars did not have many customers but the few they had were mostly european/caucasins.

Anyway, I have been pondering how the change will affect Pattaya, Thailand and me. Will the Indians, Arabs and Chinese (IAC) start retiring here in large numbers? Will the IACs buy houses and populate East Pattaya? Or will they just visit but not become resident expats? Will they spend more or less than the western expats and tourists? If the IACs do settle here, how will they integrate with the Thais? Interesting changes ahead for sure...

On a personal level, I need to rethink my investments and perhaps allocate more to emerging markets.

Yep, interesting times :)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand the reaction to my post; perhaps the phrase back in spades has a different meaning in the UK. It is perfectly acceptable in US English, in the context it meant: white people will be back in Pattaya "in the extreme" (in large numbers). I don't agree with the OP that there is a permanent demographic change here. Maybe sometime in the future, but not soon.

http://www.allbusiness.com/transportation-...g/514607-1.html

Edited by Jingthing

Come November, the white folks will be back in spades ...

An unfortunate phrase, in the UK more than enough for the chattering classes to take to the streets.

Really? I didn't see it as offensive.

Back on topic, I think even in the high season we are going to see a majority of non caucasins on WS. I think it has a lot to do with the growing middles classses in newly emerging countries and age demographics. The west is aging but Asia -with the exception of Japan- is relatively "young." Young people travel :)

Brits seem to hang out aroung Soi Boukow these days and Soi 7/8, it is the norm to see groups of Arabs/Indians taking one girl ... each to their own i suppose.

Man, times must be bad for the bar girls....

China has a huge middle class, larger than the entire population of the US or the EC.  As they begin to have money, the desire to travel is a normal one.  And, I think, travelling to a neighbor country is a logical step.

Hawaii is already shifting from a US mainland/Japanese-oriented travel destination to a US mainland/Japanese/Chinese/Russian-oriented destination.  So it is not surprise to me that Pattaya would become a major destination for Chinese tourists.

You have a point Lancelot.

I have been coming to Pattaya for nearly 10 yrs. We (the lads) spent most of our time drinking in one of the bars (not sure if i can name on here) near the end of walking street. I was there last year and noticed the arabs had moved around from there usual spot (outside smoking the Hookah) to the lower end of walking street.

I'm sure if they are bringing money in just like the rest of us then it would be the same.

BTW the hookah is smooth.

Hookah pipes are illegal in Thailand.

Just yet another law that goes unenforced unfortunately.

Are they really? I wonder why. I rather like to see the Arabs around town, it gives the place a more international feel, and gives us even more choice of restaurants ...

Thailand bans hookah pipes

Thailand has added the smoking of Arabian hookah pipes to its list of outlawed pastimes after introducing a curfew on a popular internet game on Tuesday.

Correspondents say the pipes, which can be passed around socially, are the latest craze in Bangkok's night clubs after first taking off in the city's Middle Eastern quarter.

The health minister said the habit was harmful and would make it easier for young people to become addicted to a fashionable new form of tobacco - shisha - which often has flavourings added to improve the taste.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3071521.stm

I too was on Walking Street last week.

First time in a couple years.

I noticed the same as OP.

Paleface punters were outnumbered 3-1.

Happily, the local talent has changed little.

Edited by Texpat

That's interesting. The tobacco in hookahs is very carcenogenic and the yummy flavors mask that reality. Its good to know the law is about tobacco and not some silly fears about other drugs. Of course it isn't enforced, but it sends a message, better than nothing.

Are they really? I wonder why. I rather like to see the Arabs around town, it gives the place a more international feel, and gives us even more choice of restaurants ...

If they can only get lamb to follow them and be readily available in local restaurants, I would be happy!  And mint in the manau soda would be a nice touch!

Pattaya is a 'cheap' destination for package tourists, and one favoured by travel operators who organise tours to Thailand from newly industrialising countries where travel is still a 'new' thing.

Did some work for a client a few years ago. Travel agents in India, Philippines, China, Vietnam tend to package tours for first time travellers to countries where they can get 1) in without a visa and 2) are cheap.

Thaialnd, and as a result, Pattaya, tends to be sold as a 'tropical' upscale paradise to these unsuspecting punters.

I too was on Walking Street last week.

First time in a couple years.

I noticed the same as OP.

Paleface punters were outnumbered 3-1.

Happily, the local talent has changed little.

Still that dire is it? No wonder beer is cheaper in Pattaya.

Will the Indians, Arabs and Chinese (IAC) start retiring here in large numbers? Will the IACs buy houses and populate East Pattaya? Or will they just visit but not become resident expats? Will they spend more or less than the western expats and tourists? If the IACs do settle here, how will they integrate with the Thais? Interesting changes ahead for sure...

Don't know about the Arabs, but the Chinese and Indians have been here long before palefaces argued their first barfine. And they will be here long after we have left (read "kicked out" as in the other thread). :)

Wash your mouth out man - what next camel rides on the beach :)

Will the Indians, Arabs and Chinese (IAC) start retiring here in large numbers? Will the IACs buy houses and populate East Pattaya? Or will they just visit but not become resident expats? Will they spend more or less than the western expats and tourists? If the IACs do settle here, how will they integrate with the Thais? Interesting changes ahead for sure...

Don't know about the Arabs, but the Chinese and Indians have been here long before palefaces argued their first barfine. And they will be here long after we have left (read "kicked out" as in the other thread). :)

They own the country now, kicking them out won't be so easy. :D

So much for 'Thailand has never been colonised'. They have been colonised and controlled by stealth.

Chok dee khrap!

Wash your mouth out man - what next camel rides on the beach :)

Why, I like having such diversity in Pattaya, makes guys like JT and myself look better.

It is obviously a bad thing for the traditional Patts buisinesses i.e. birds and booze and international eating.

All of the races mentioned generally eat only their own food. Esp Indians - curry for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

I know a few Thai hairdersser and they have told me that the Indians come in and try to hagel the price of a hair cut down. They all refuse them - they also say they're a little on the smelly side :)

Edited by deprogrammed

I know a few Thai hairdersser and they have told me that the Indians come in and try to hagel the price of a hair cut down.

Down from what? My Thai hair guy does me for 60 baht!

Not for a woman in Patts! Maybe you don't pay for your partners hairdo - but I can assure you a lady pays a considerable lot more tha 60 baht. manicure 100 min. You know that :)

PS can you please post a photo of a 60 baht haircut - my small dog cost 250 baht!

Edited by deprogrammed

Wake up call for anyone who still hasn't realised that the Asia markets are far less affected by the credit crunch and sub-prime lending than the rest of the world! :)

Expect to see far more of the same this year and very likely all of next year too.

I know a few Thai hairdersser and they have told me that the Indians come in and try to hagel the price of a hair cut down.

Down from what? My Thai hair guy does me for 60 baht!

Not for a woman in Patts! Maybe you don't pay for your partners hairdo - but I can assure you a lady pays a considerable lot more tha 60 baht. manicure 100 min. You know that :D

PS can you please post a photo of a 60 baht haircut - my small dog cost 250 baht!

Note: Jing's response made no mention of haircuts or barbers. :)