Hi all,

Just a few questions which maybe you could kindly answer.

My wife is here on a settlement visa, visa granted on 9/01/08, arrived in UK on 16/01/08 so when do we apply for her ILR/FLR?

We lived at my mothers home until august where we then rented an apartment in the city, but the landlord has put the rent up to £500 per month so we have moved back to my mothers again until we can find something a little cheaper, but my question is, if we dont find anything cheaper by the time my wifes application comes around, we will be at my mothers still, would they see this as a problem, living at my mothers twice during her settlement visa?

My wife is currently doing an ESOL with citizenship course, test coming up in june, but she has aleady failed her previous test, so if my wife still cant pass the test, we would have to apply for FLR right?

How much are the costs etc for FLR/ILR?

As for paper work, we dont have any joint bank accounts, all we have in joint names is, council tax bills, water rate bills, electric bills, we then have in seperate names but addressed at the same address, bank statements, credit card statment, phone bills, NHS letters, NI letter, working tax credit letters etc etc.

When the time comes around for us to apply, we properbly will have no savings, maybe a few hundred pounds or so, is this a problem?

My wife works part time, me full time.

Also, are many FLR applications refused? I meen, they cant exactly just put your wife straight on a plane back to Thailand can they?

I couldnt bear to think beng apart from my wife :)

Many thanks

Scotty & K

She can apply for FLR/ILR after she has been in the UK for 2 years, but before her current LTR expires.

Living with your parents is not a problem. Write a covering letter explaining that you moved out, and when, but have had to move back, and when.

If she has not satisfied the KOL requirement in time, then she will need to apply for FLR, not ILR. Once she has satisfied the KOL requirement she can then apply for ILR.

FLR costs £465 if applying by post, £665 if applying in person.

ILR costs £820 if applying by post, £1020 if applying in person.

Your document list looks fine, the relevant application form will give you some more examples.

You do not need any savings for either FLR or ILR. You simply need to show that your have sufficient finances to support yourselves. This can be from income, savings or a combination of both.

I have never heard of an FLR application being refused. The only reason I have heard for an ILR refusal is that the applicant had not yet satisfied the KOL requirement.

Don't Worry. You would seem to have all thats required for FLR

The fact that you are staying at your Mums place is not a Problem As long as your marraige is still sound No worrys. You bouth have Jobs and can support yourselves.

If she cannot pass Life in UK test FLR is still available to her. Fee is Cheaper if you apply by Post.

As long as they recive the application before her present LTR expires Jan 2010

More Info www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk Tel 0870 241 0645.

More people perhaps better than me at this will reply.

It is certainly true that an FLR or ILR application could take as much as 6 months to be processed. During this time the applicant's passport will be with the UKBA, and if one needs it back in order to travel outside the UK then the application will be treated as withdrawn; with no refund of the fee. This would also mean that one would be outside the UK with no valid leave to enter or remain, so would have to apply for the appropriate visa to come back again.

One should bear this in mind before deciding whether to apply by post or pay the premium to apply in person.

One further point. If you make an application before your authorised stay ends, your existing immigration status will continue until your application is decided, even if the decision is not made until after the end of your permitted stay. If your existing visa or other permission to stay here allows you to work, you can continue to do so until your case is decided.