Considering The Options.

Now I've been reading, writing, e-mailing, talking, doing phones calls allready for almost half a year now. It's seems a killer task for me ( I guess other foreigners to ) to find a reasonable paid job in Thailand or any kind of business to do to make a living.

With the worldwideweb really over floating with Jobs.. getting one is the other way :)

Okay, I'm running online business, but I can't consider it as my main income for now, it's yet not enough steady future prospect.

I mean it's not as easy as here in Europe to get a job.

My questions to other people here is, IF you work in LOS, how hard was it for you to find a Job in Thailand? :D ( I'm on the right way, I know it's a pain killing process, but the more I know, the better )

The answer as you have already seen is VERY VERY VERY difficult unless you have either a large amount of cash to put into a business or get an international company to send you here or offer something Thais cant.

The answer as you have already seen is VERY VERY VERY difficult unless you have either a large amount of cash to put into a business or get an international company to send you here or offer something Thais cant.

The easy answer is its not what you know, its who you know..but as stated very very difficult unles you have someone pulling strings for you

In my case I was working in the US at the time, and through a collegue of collegue, I got a phone call asking if I would be interested in coming to Thailand on a short 6 week contract in the Oil & Gas game, I did it, as I was just finishing up one contract and figured 6 weeks work, 2 months holiday in Thailand and back on the next contract.......and that was 8 years ago...still here

Now I've been reading, writing, e-mailing, talking, doing phones calls allready for almost half a year now. It's seems a killer task for me ( I guess other foreigners to ) to find a reasonable paid job in Thailand or any kind of business to do to make a living.

With the worldwideweb really over floating with Jobs.. getting one is the other way :)

Okay, I'm running online business, but I can't consider it as my main income for now, it's yet not enough steady future prospect.

My questions to other people here is, IF you work in LOS, how hard was it for you to find a Job in Thailand? :D ( I'm on the right way, I know it's a pain killing process, but the more I know, the better )

I have an american friend who's doing softwares for some hi-tek pig farms in CM, I have a hongkong friend whos been running a computer shop in IT Mall fortune town - for last 10 years, theres another hongkong couple doing organic fertilizers, and I know of a very successful chinese lady expat who works for a furniture company that picks up hotel contracts from middle-east and china etc....

There are jobs not based on connections.

There are jobs not based on connections.

They must be based on connections otherwise they wouldnt be in business would they, connections dont just mean connections in Thailand

If you are going to be in Thailand during your peak earning years, you should have a savings plan that will cover you in an extreme emergency and to provide for your old age. The day will come when you are forced to retire. Thailand is NOT a pleasant place to live if you have no money.

The easy answer is its not what you know, its who you know..but as stated very very difficult unles you have someone pulling strings for you

In my case I was working in the US at the time, and through a collegue of collegue, I got a phone call asking if I would be interested in coming to Thailand on a short 6 week contract in the Oil & Gas game, I did it, as I was just finishing up one contract and figured 6 weeks work, 2 months holiday in Thailand and back on the next contract.......and that was 8 years ago...still here

I believe you in that, and Oil & Gas is at least something a Foreign can role into.. Instead of main land jobs. It is, that I do not want something like this, but if I had no girlfriend, yeah I would do it. Or do some job that make alot of €€€€

• 2 weeks later...

I'm now considering even getting into volunteer work, but and don't think it's a good idea for future, but maybe a start that will provide me a place of stay. If people got some usefull information for me ( e.g not website links ), content working in (south ) thailand let me know.

I'm not sure how good your english is..if it is good there are opportunities..private tutor for well off Thais.. teaching starts at only 10,000 B per month so..I have a Bachelors degree, and could teach in LOS..but for now i do not.. I have a feeling you are NOT interested in these areas...so chok dee mak whatever you do..i have some ideas to export items from LOS to Canada..take a look in stores..what does your country need that they have here??

I believe you in that, and Oil & Gas is at least something a Foreign can role into.. Instead of main land jobs. It is, that I do not want something like this, but if I had no girlfriend, yeah I would do it. Or do some job that make alot of €€€€

Actually in Thailand Oil and Gas these days, its very very difficult for expat to get into, Thailand has quite an abundance of Thai nationals who are pretty competant at what they do....The number of expats in the business is reducing year by year. Would estimate in the next 3-5 years all the expats working offshore here will be just about zero, most of the guys I am working with are looking towards Vietnam or Cambodia (if it ever starts)

Consider all of your connections in the world.

What can you offer them that you can supply from Thailand.

A friend is doing very well simply exporting printed t-shirts to a music promoter at home. Every concert/special night there's an order for a large amount of t-shirts. Even 2,000 a week if there are only 4 concerts to supply, if he nets 50b per piece is 100,000 baht per week.

Set up before you come.

Edited by Simonpetterson

My topic went down a bit. Until now, I'm still stuck in the same things. Although I got some savings, and a company that needs work, i'm not really further. My GF doesn't have any idea to what I can do! My search goes on...

A long shot............

You're a qualified very good (car)mechanic. Your problem is that you're looking beyond your own horizon and not closer to home where your gf is.

If you can't get any job or cooperation-ship with a Thai in a car/garage you could consider to think of setting up a service company for people who have household problems with technical appliances like fridges, aircons or even repair their motorbikes and/or cars at home.

Do what you're good at!

Try to find a (Thai!) relative/friend who's willing to share such a venture with you.

Low investment at first and later you could try to import/sell household electrical stuff yourself; if it's repair on motorbikes/cars you need to order spareparts of which you can make some profit also.

Once you're into that kind of business the ball starts rolling by itself and before you know it you can't handle the work :)

Important: start taking Thai lessons if you're not doing so already.

Good luck.

LaoPo

Thanks everybody for the comments. LaoPo, that's true, I'm a very good car/bike, actually allround mechanic. I'm basically the best with my hands, as my father did. In here in NL, I could have easily set up an succesfull bike/car shop. Although in Thailand, it's a whole different story. The language..the people..the culture. All in all I don't much on that. Although I should have an idea where to start. My GF is non technical at all, doubt she could help me on any surface here? Now she is trying to rent a shop in Hat Yai to sell clothes? Does this work guys? I would love to live in Thailand, actually, our both concerns is now we can't be together! We all know how painfull this is. Thailand is a pain in the ass for foreigner like me to get work. Once I do not want to live as a poor Thai, we all have some standards! And my GF has some expectations to;), yup. I got your point LaoPo, but thinking how to realise it? I mean at some point I have to go there, to the locals, and undertake some action, I can't imagine, arranging something from behind the PC or Phone.

I've spoken to a lot of Foreigners, the all seem to make their money somewhere in their home countries. Problem is I'm a 22 year old, and Thailand is NOT my home country. Going there with maybe 5% experience? It's a HOAX.

My topic went down a bit. Until now, I'm still stuck in the same things. Although I got some savings, and a company that needs work, i'm not really further. My GF doesn't have any idea to what I can do! My search goes on...

where your gf is.

Pattani Province..... ( Not the most wanted place for foreigners to be, although I'm an easy person in that, I could live with it.

Thanks everybody for the comments. LaoPo, that's true, I'm a very good car/bike, actually allround mechanic. I'm basically the best with my hands, as my father did. In here in NL, I could have easily set up an succesfull bike/car shop. Although in Thailand, it's a whole different story. The language..the people..the culture. All in all I don't much on that. Although I should have an idea where to start. My GF is non technical at all, doubt she could help me on any surface here? Now she is trying to rent a shop in Hat Yai to sell clothes? Does this work guys? I would love to live in Thailand, actually, our both concerns is now we can't be together! We all know how painfull this is. Thailand is a pain in the ass for foreigner like me to get work. Once I do not want to live as a poor Thai, we all have some standards! And my GF has some expectations to;), yup. I got your point LaoPo, but thinking how to realise it? I mean at some point I have to go there, to the locals, and undertake some action, I can't imagine, arranging something from behind the PC or Phone.

I've spoken to a lot of Foreigners, the all seem to make their money somewhere in their home countries. Problem is I'm a 22 year old, and Thailand is NOT my home country. Going there with maybe 5% experience? It's a HOAX.

From rally car to oldtimer...

thumb-09B3_4A438C60.jpg

thumb-91EF_4A438C81.jpg

In my own opinion: forget Hat Yai (the BKK of the South and many Malaysians coming for the weekend.....sex-industry!) and Pattani as well. You can't make any money there apart from the fact that's not the most peaceful countryside in LOS.

If I were you and gf I would move to a tourist area (Phuket/Samui) where there are plenty of Farang with houses, cars, motorbikes who would love to have their transport fixed by a good farang mechanic.

If that's not an option you would have to make a decision about either to try and get your gf to Holland or take the Belgium-route but you better hurry before they close that option. You have to live in Belgium for at least 6 months I believe but you better check the appropriate websites.

LaoPo

In my own opinion: forget Hat Yai (the BKK of the South and many Malaysians coming for the weekend.....sex-industry!) and Pattani as well. You can't make any money there apart from the fact that's not the most peaceful countryside in LOS.

If I were you and gf I would move to a tourist area (Phuket/Samui) where there are plenty of Farang with houses, cars, motorbikes who would love to have their transport fixed by a good farang mechanic.

If that's not an option you would have to make a decision about either to try and get your gf to Holland or take the Belgium-route but you better hurry before they close that option. You have to live in Belgium for at least 6 months I believe but you better check the appropriate websites.

LaoPo

That Bart, is a much, much better idea. Belgium. Try Bruges. It's lovely.

LaoPo

Very sound advice !

Hey good to see you again LaoPo !

LaoPo

Very sound advice !

Hey good to see you again LaoPo !

:) that's mutual Flying!

LaoPo

LaoPo

That Bart, is a much, much better idea. Belgium. Try Bruges. It's lovely.

The Eastern "Budhist" side of the world, is where I feel the most at home, so does my GF. I some way I love it, eventhough it's a hoax without money, gotta love the social security system here, ow wait that's why we pay insane amounts of tax right? :)

The Eastern "Budhist" side of the world, is where I feel the most at home, so does my GF. I some way I love it, eventhough it's a hoax without money, gotta love the social security system here, ow wait that's why we pay insane amounts of tax right? :)

So, you have to find a way to make money. Enough money to give your gf a roof and good life for the future.

LaoPo

So, you have to find a way to make money. Enough money to give your gf a roof and good life for the future.

LaoPo

Indeed LaoPo. Although this is the number one obstacle now.

Hi Datsun (Fellow Dutchie).

I am in sort of similar position as you, the only difference is that I already am in Thailand and worked in Asia for the last 5 years so I gained a lot of knowledge about the markets, culture and mindset's here in Asia.

A few of the observations I made.

Many people are looking for quality, quality of goods and services.

Credibility is another thing they look for, can you deliver what you promise and/or show?

Trust, Is a thing you build up along the way as you prove that what you promised and delivered benefited your customer.

You could start a shop that does maintenance/repairs on vehicles but the difference you could make is to make the waiting time as short as possible as customers want to have their car back as quickly as possible.

That means a good planning and not how it now often is when you bring your car for a check up/repair that they will tell you to call you back when ready.

An example, one of my my window of my BM 3 series is not working (Regulator) so I know it has to be replaced. Went to BM service center and asked them to repair and when I could bring my car and when it would be ready.

Service guy asked for my key and drove my car in the line and asked me to fill in some form.

I asked him when he would be started working on it and when it would be ready (I know it is just a 3 hour job).

We will call you when it is ready he replied and no mention of when.

So what you need to know is your hours available and how many remaining you can sell.

You need to calculate your cost per hour taking into account all fixed and variable cost as well as direct and indirect costs.

I and I think many others would be very interested to bring our vehicle for service or repair and know when to bring and when to pick up and a price estimate within a 15% estimate.

One of the posters in this thread has a doctorate and experience, and it took him one year to land a job in his field. With no degree, no native fluency in English or Thai, no solid puu yai connections here, being out of the country......

Anyway the pay is so low compared to the minimum taxable asked by government... :)

What annoy me is that, maybe, people retired in Thailand get bored and they cannot do any free work at all. It seems a government idea to increase income of bar and bar girl ... :D

Hi Datsun,

The reason I mentioned cost per hour is that you need to know this to calculate your ROI.

And when you start a biz here you need to know your fixed and variable cost and direct and indirect so you can calculate how much sales you need in order to be profitable.

A mechanic repair facility run by a farang could really work, I would bring my car to you instead of going to a dealer.

But as I said, we like to have quick service, know when to bring and pick up and be sure the work is done with some kind of warranty.

If you can do that, you will have many many customers for sure!

Most people do not mind to pay a little extra for quality and good service, start small but make sure the facility looks high class.

I have a friend in Indonesia (Jakarta) that did just like that, he now repairs/maintains about 80 vehicles a week and is looking to expand, he just started about 6 months ago.

This kind of bizz will work I can assure you, even when your place has a place for only one car (when start up).

As long as you can plan (when in when out) and can tell the price in advance which will be equal or a bit higher/lower depending on the repair.

Remember, people like to to go for high quality and do not mind to pay a little extra for it.

Quality, reliable service and trust is needed to make your bizz succesfull.

You might need to relocate from the South to central, but that is a small price to pay for the moment.

It can be done Datsun, just believe in it and make sure you have the money to invest in a small top notch facility.

Good luck!

Yes, it's okay, I will consider it to. Problem is with repairing/tuning/etc on cars and bikes etc, is that this kind of work always comes for surprises, so estimating the exact time can sometimes be difficult. But most of the times it runs out great.

Here we allready have a " Fix while wait " policy.

Edited by Datsun240Z