Very General Newbie Question!

whitehawk

Hi Folks - only found this great site yesterday. My wife and i both live in the uk, we are 57 yrs old and now unemployed. We have been thinking for some time now about moving to LOS on a permanent basis and hopefully buying a place to live. We would have a total wedge of about 7mil Tbt after selling our house here and clearing mortgage etc. What i`d like to know is how would we be able to do it? We would not be working but not officially retired, so could it be done on a full time basis? I realise all these questions must have been asked a hundred times b4 but having only joined yesterday i am still ploughing my way through the navigation of the site. (Please excuse my ignorance.) I would also welcome comments on whether it`s a good move or not and what are the pitfalls to look out for? Looking at this site has given me the strong impression that the cost of living would be much cheaper and the lifestyle a lot more pleasant and laid back. I have only visited Thailand once b4 when i was in the navy, way back in the late 60`s and i was struck by the friendliness of the people and the beauty of the country.

Congrats on a great and informative site.

Ken.

My advice would be to visit for a few months first and have a look around and test the water. You'll gain all the insights you need first hand. After your trip, return home and collate your findings and then make a decision.

sound advice prof fart.

LoS has changed a lot since the 60s whitey, oh what am I saying I wasn't even born then, I imagine this place has changed a lot since then. Come on over and have a look around, it might not be all that you remember.

I agree with Tuky and Prof.fart.

Come over for a few weeks, check out different areas, housing prices ect and then make your dicision based on that.

You don't wanna just sell up and leave, then get here and decide you hate the place! :o:D

Hi Folks - only found this great site yesterday. My wife and i both live in the uk, we are 57 yrs old and now unemployed. We have been thinking for some time now about moving to LOS on a permanent basis and hopefully buying a place to live. We would have a total wedge of about 7mil Tbt after selling our house here and clearing mortgage etc. What i`d like to know is how would we be able to do it? We would not be working but not officially retired, so could it be done on a full time basis? I realise all these questions must have been asked a hundred times b4 but having only joined yesterday i am still ploughing my way through the navigation of the site. (Please excuse my ignorance.) I would also welcome comments on whether it`s a good move or not and what are the pitfalls to look out for? Looking at this site has given me the strong impression that the cost of living would be much cheaper and the lifestyle a lot more pleasant and laid back. I have only visited Thailand once b4 when i was in the navy, way back in the late 60`s and i was struck by the friendliness of the people and the beauty of the country.

Ken.

Its far from a no no and 7 million Baht sounds like plenty to live well off. The quality of life in Thailand is so much more higher than in the UK at a fraction of the cost. You will have enough to fulfill all visa requiremnts and to set yourselves up in a nice place with no problems at all and more than enough to live well off as long as you don't go crazy. Also going from your ages, you have your pensions around the corner as well which would also be a bonus.

I take it you are thinking about a seaside resort. Condo apartments with all the trimmings are not at all expensive by UK standards. Try a google under 'real estate rentals Thailand' and see what it throws up.

However in cases like yours where you have little experience of Thailand today, no amount of posts here can really provide you with the same amount of perspective a visit of your own will. We could throw figures at you but with out the first hand knowledge it would seem pretty meaningless.

Ignore meemiathai. He tends to post nonsense.

meemiathai just want to keep Thailand for himself.

Ken,

With that kind of money behind you, you will have a luxurious livestyle here in Thailand. If it was me i would not buy a house but rent. This will give you the freedom to move around as things can change quickly here in Thailand. A very nice looking place can change into something bad quick.

I am on Koh Samui and for 10-20000 baht a month you have a nice but basic bungalow on the beach. 20-40 and it will be very nice.

On this island i can recommend Bophut or Big Buddha. That is a really nice place, not too busy and very close to Chaweng with all its restaurants and bars if you want to go out. There are many people in your age group, finding some friends would be easy.

The most dangerous thing you can do is buy something with that kind of money (remember that you actually can not own land here, only with forming a company and all its hassles), stay here for at least a year before spending any serious money! High season and low season (rain season) are very different.

And you get a good feel of the place in that time.

Most important thing is to live somewhere close to a good hospital. This requirement already narrows things down a lot.

What kind of surroundings do you like, mountains, sea, open fields, etc,.

Do you want to be somewhere among other people from your country or do you want to go "native" or somewhere in between.

I am not from the UK but can you survive without marmite. :o

There are so many things you have to try. You want to experience how it is to actually live here and are not on a vacation. I assure you it is a lot different.

Ken.

Hi Folks - only found this great site yesterday. My wife and i both live in the uk, we are 57 yrs old and now unemployed. We have been thinking for some time now about moving to LOS on a permanent basis and hopefully buying a place to live. We would have a total wedge of about 7mil Tbt after selling our house here and clearing mortgage etc.

Whitehawk,

How much return can you get on your money and how long do you plan to live? I am about your age myself and also thinking of moving to Thailand in the next few years. As with all retirements financing is the big question. If you get 4% on your 7 mil Baht then you can spend 42,000 Baht per month and it will be gone after 20 years. It's possible to get a better return, of course. Then there is the problem of the exchange rate. Some people believe that China will revalue its currency up and then be followed up by the other East Asian currencies. This could be a big problem for retirees.

At the same time money goes farther in Thailand. Best of luck to you. And please keep us up to date on your progress.

Khun Pad Thai

Not sure if it is Khun Jean's calculator or mine which is busted

7 million baht will not generate a big income.

It is do-able but not a great lifestyle as some would suggest.

I recommend you to rent a house in the sticks where everything is cheaper and reserve the cities and the coast for vacations.

Edited by Thetyim

Ken,

A lot of sound advice from those who have already made the mistakes, you will not go wrong reading and heeding.

My hat's off to those of you who take the time to help your fellow man. Please note that your next monthly statement shall reflect an increase in your boon account.

boon = good merit (according to my thai dic anyway)

Not sure if it is Khun Jean's calculator or mine which is busted

7 million baht will not generate a big income.

It is do-able but not a great lifestyle as some would suggest.

I recommend you to rent a house in the sticks where everything is cheaper and reserve the cities and the coast for vacations.

im with Thetyim on this one, 7mil is just not enought

Good advice from Thety.

3000 a month will get something very reasonable in the bush.

Good luck and keep us posted. :o

Don't say I didn't warn you!  Foreigners are being killed by Thais everyday tying their hands at their back and putting plastic bags on their heads, making them look like suicides for the police.

Sounds just like where i live, especially Fri or Sat night. Even worse happens to wind up merchants. :o:D:D

Medway Towns by any chance?

Will you have any regular pension income? A small pension in the UK will go a long way in Thailand. If you have liquid assets I'd suggest looking at investing in an annuity in the UK and converting the income from it into baht, keeping the principal in solid currency like the pound and protecting you from any wild devaluations of the local currency in the future.

cv

Bo***cks! Sorry about that folks - I know what you say makes sense and we would indeed have a long visit first. Just wanted an idea of general ideas and to find out if its a definate no-no.

I wonder why you bothered to ask?

You ask out advice and then abuse a person who gives very reasonable advice.

I suggest you look in the Thai Visa section.

You will find many people asking the same question and the advice given is the same.

Come and check it out.

Thailand has changed a lot in the last 20 years I have lived here.

With 7M baht, 100,000 quid, you will be hard pressed to meet the income requirements for a retirement visa of 800,000 baht per year!!

Well, I have to say I can't make the arithmetic work.

A lump sum of 7 million at the OPs' age isn't going to go too far over here. However, as others have said, if there's a pension in the background, then they've got a chance.

I don't have expensive tastes and have pulled back from selling up in the UK at 46 yrs old and realising 20 million. I won't benefit from a pension, mind.

The money's best left where it is as it generates rental income and I'll relook at the situation when I'm 50.

It just seems 7 mill is borderline.

Bo***cks! Sorry about that folks - I know what you say makes sense and we would indeed have a long visit first. Just wanted an idea of general ideas and to find out if its a definate no-no.

You will find many people asking the same question and the advice given is the same.

Come and check it out.

With 7M baht, 100,000 quid, you will be hard pressed to meet the income requirements for a retirement visa of 800,000 baht per year!!

Yes - the "<deleted>" was at myself for my own ineptitude at my attempt at replying, certainly didn`t mean to cause offence to anyone. In fact i have been very grateful to all those who have offered advice, it has made me have a re-think. My first move has got to be a long visit and see for myself how the land lies. Having now found out quite a bit more from the various forums i now have a slightly better idea of how things work. My latest thinking is maybe avoid the buying route in favour of renting but no decisions will be made until i visit later in the year. Once again, thx everyone for the advice - much appreciated.

Ken

Come and check it out.

Yes - the "<deleted>" was at myself for my own ineptitude at my attempt at replying, certainly didn`t mean to cause offence to anyone. In fact i have been very grateful to all those who have offered advice, it has made me have a re-think. My first move has got to be a long visit and see for myself how the land lies. Having now found out quite a bit more from the various forums i now have a slightly better idea of how things work. My latest thinking is maybe avoid the buying route in favour of renting but no decisions will be made until i visit later in the year. Once again, thx everyone for the advice - much appreciated.

Ken

It seems another "Bo***cks" is on the way! :o

Don't say I didn't warn you!  Foreigners are being killed by Thais everyday tying their hands at their back and putting plastic bags on their heads, making them look like suicides for the police.

meemiathai, I have told you a Trillion times not to exaggerate!

Did I? :o