The Road To Nowhere?

I had been told about a road along the northside of Chaweng Lake that isn't open to traffic and tonite I saw it for myself. I was in the back of Bar Ice and noticed a wide road (4 car widths) covered in brick, not concrete or asphalt. On each side was a raised area for walking and on the side closest to the lake there is a wall. Between that and the lake are grass and trees. Even as a pedestrian-only area it would be perfect for something along the lines of Fisherman's Village - respectable bars/cafes/restaurants and shops.

Why did they go to all the expense of building it and now not use it? Does anyone know the story behind it?

Edited by koheesti

I had been told about a road along the northside of Chaweng Lake that isn't open to traffic and tonite I saw it for myself. I was in the back of Bar Ice and noticed a wide road (4 car widths) covered in brick, not concrete or asphalt. On each side was a raised area for walking and on the side closest to the lake there is a wall. Between that and the lake are grass and trees. Even as a pedestrian-only area it would be perfect for something along the lines of Fisherman's Village - respectable bars/cafes/restaurants and shops.

Why did they go to all the expense of building it and now not use it? Does anyone know the story behind it?

Why do you want to know??

Are you serious ???

the guy is asking a perfectly legitimate question....he doesnt need a reason....he's curious about the road for christ sake ...

Maybe the money of the developers ran out.

It looks finished as far as I could tell (I didn't go one end to the other). But it must have an access point at one of the ends unless they've blocked it off since construction. I'll try to get a photo today or tomorrow. It's probably the best stretch of road on the island.

An example of many bad road around the Kingdom, believe you me I have seen worse, i.e., a big old flood produce pot hold with only a stick to warn drivers, first truck break stick next car front tire in pot hold :):D anyway you get the picture sure you all have seen some bad ones also. :D

Are you serious ???

the guy is asking a perfectly legitimate question....he doesnt need a reason....he's curious about the road for christ sake ...

He's serious cos he probably built it illegally... :)

Construction on that road was started about the same time as the new "entertainment zones" were announced a couple of years ago (basically, certain areas were supposed to be the only places where bars could stay open until 2am- all other areas would have a midnight closing time- the lake area to the north was one of the designated zones).

Nothing ever came of this (not too surprising, really- Soi Green Mango wasn't in one of the designated areas, and there was really no way those bars were going to be forced to move or close early).

I think someone thought they were going to get lucky and the area was going to explode, and building the road was only going to help attract higher-end establishments.

Chaweng Lake has always been something of a mystery to me. Time, money and effort was put into putting in the basics around the east side of the lake, but for what? Nothing is maintained and you are not, as far as I can tell, supposed to have boats on the lake or fish in it. It is the ideal size for jets ski races or water skiing. Granted, it's hot as blazes there, but given that Samui is a recreation island, an unused lake is odd in the extreme.

It looks finished as far as I could tell (I didn't go one end to the other). But it must have an access point at one of the ends unless they've blocked it off since construction. I'll try to get a photo today or tomorrow. It's probably the best stretch of road on the island.

yes, photo would be great! Is it on the Bar Ice side of the lake or on the Reggae Pub side? :)

yes, photo would be great! Is it on the Bar Ice side of the lake or on the Reggae Pub side? :)

it runs from almost next door to the black moon party property line to the gully the runs next to the lake road, so it is right behind the ice bar. last time i saw the road it was being used for 5 a side football.

This first photo shows the lake on the left and on the far right is the back of Bar Ice. The road ends around where those vehicles are in the distance. In the water next to the pier you can see the swan heads on the paddle boats.

P6131926_pan.jpg

This second photo is from the opposite direction with Bar Ice on the far left and that clubhouse-like building that should be familiar to everyone on the far right. This "road to nowhere" starts off around this area as a short dirt road before the bricks start. You can also see the grassy area between the road & the lake as well as the shaded walkway along the lake.

P6131935_pan.jpg

ll

How odd. I've put a place mark on what i think is it on Google Earth.

Don't know how to add a link here?

the only time that road gets used is when the road outside chaweng park place floods as it does every year then the crafty people who dont want teir feet wet use it.but now they build 2 shops near the intersection so maybe no more.

someone would haVE POCKETEDSOME NICE TEA MONEY FOR BUILDING THAT ROAD.