So Who Has Actually Changed?

lemel

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say that I cannot believe for one minute the way this thread had developed!!

My comments were not to bash the Americans at all.

Simple observations of many of the American programmes and not a slight on the people at all.

It is true to say that the programmes I mention, whilst good viewing ( hence why I enjoy them ) do repeat the same pieces of information again and again. It is not needed, is it?

Also, they are broken up by far too many adverts for future programmes to the extent that it does affect the continuity of the original programme.

Lastly, whilst it could be said that there are many good American programmes available it is tue to say that most follow a simple formula and are produced to be 'easy to digest'. Let's call this light entertainment. This was my point with reference to why they will be successful in the eyes of True who are considering their Thai viewing public.

I have to say, Ulysees G - there really is no need at all to criticise spelling or grammar - this is not a formal or professional forum - I never realised I would taken to task over such petty things - all you've managed to do is show yourself as somebody with a rude and angry personality.

It's from that point on that the tone of the thread changed dramatically. Consider this carefully, especially if you find yourself in many confrontations and arguments in life. Ask yourself why before you launch into attack ( which you obviously will justify to yourself as defense).

mobi, sorry mate but you have not told me at least 3 times on this or any other threads!!!

I, unlike you, do not get reliable internet connection all the time, that is why I said, what is the alternative!!!!!!!!!!!!

mobi, sorry mate but you have not told me at least 3 times on this or any other threads!!!

I, unlike you, do not get reliable internet connection all the time, that is why I said, what is the alternative!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok I take it back. :)

But in post No. 3 of THIS thread I said:

I can receive all I want through Multichoice - including BBC Entertainment, Movies, series, Sky News, BBC World, CNN, and loads of live sport (Premiership, all rugby internationals, Formula one without commercial breaks, all cricket internationals, including the current 2020 world cup, and so on and so), and many more.

I also get every True channel through an internet server, for a small monthly fee.

And on an earlier thread bemoaning the demise of BBCE, which proceeded this one ( and I am sure that any reasonable thinking person would assume you had read that thread), I am sure I mentioned the alternatives at least twice.

Anyhow, we won't split hairs. :D

We are where we are, and if you do not have a reliable connection (note- it doesn't have to be fast, just reasonably stable. I once ran my TV on a sim/edge connection), then your choices are limited to the free to air stuff you get that have been mentioned in this thread.

I have had the True Gold Package for as long as I can remember, but I also have Sophon, and believe it or not, I have all my Sophon English Channels lined up in a row on my TV and there are around 20 or so of the 60 channels to watch - I watch Sophon for 350 month and the only time we turn on True is for the Kids for the Disney Channel (extra cost of course).

I was amazed tonight when I called the True customer service number to ask if we could have a new remote as the old one hardly works - they asked me if I changed the batteries - yes - they said if we send someone out you will have to pay for a new remote - I then asked her to recheck - she came back and said this is correct - I then asked her why do I pay a monthly equipment rental each month if when something needs to be replaced, I have to pay for it (which is part of the bill and itemised) - her answer was - so you not want new remote - :):D:D

Ok I take it back. :)

But in post No. 3 of THIS thread I said:

I can receive all I want through Multichoice - including BBC Entertainment, Movies, series, Sky News, BBC World, CNN, and loads of live sport (Premiership, all rugby internationals, Formula one without commercial breaks, all cricket internationals, including the current 2020 world cup, and so on and so), and many more.

I also get every True channel through an internet server, for a small monthly fee.

And on an earlier thread bemoaning the demise of BBCE, which proceeded this one ( and I am sure that any reasonable thinking person would assume you had read that thread), I am sure I mentioned the alternatives at least twice.

Anyhow, we won't split hairs. :D

We are where we are, and if you do not have a reliable connection (note- it doesn't have to be fast, just reasonably stable. I once ran my TV on a sim/edge connection), then your choices are limited to the free to air stuff you get that have been mentioned in this thread.

good, glad we sorted that up, thanks for all the info and yes, i did read all the posts, cheers :D

Yes, but his daft generalization was serious, mine was tongue in cheek and making a point.

I see. Say something stupid and then claim it to be tongue in cheek. Nice cop-out. :D

Looks like you are trying to settle old scores on political threads rixalex.

I did mention some British comedies that are quite good later in the thread. Anyone with a brain could figure that out - However, that does not seem to include you. :)

Don't flatter yourself i'm keeping a record of all the nonsense you come out with Ulysses! :)

I did mention some British comedies that are quite good later in the thread. Anyone with a brain could figure that out - However, that does not seem to include you. :D

Ah, so that's how it works!

So it's ok for me to say that all Americans are idiots, providing i follow it up some hours later by saying i've met a couple of Americans who aren't idiots... and then when people accuse me of making a stupid generalisation, i simply say that it was tongue in cheek all along and only someone without a brain wouldn't be able to figure it out?

tvaddict had you pegged about right i'd say. :D

What exactly is eating away at you, Ulysees?

You seem not to be able to engage in a conversation which allow criticism and points of view.

Instead of responding with your own point of view and still holding respect for others you take it all very personally and choose to launch into insult. Yet again you insult me, not my opinion but me. Amazing- do you know me? No, you don't.

Your insults and arrogance are astounding.

I just feel sorry for the people who have to put up with you in real life - they must feel dominated by your will all the time. You are in a sense a bully, are you not ?

At least I can choose to respond or ignore you. Each time you launch into more personal attacks are you really hurting someone else or just your own reputation? Why give so much space for anger?

Why not just keep things civil and learn to get on with people and respect their views a bit better. You never know- you might end up making friends and learning something in life. Just a suggestion.

Back on topic, we had the gold package that I VERY seldom watched. My Thai wife asked me why we should pay for something I seldom used. She had a good point. I told her that if she too didn't want it, to go ahead and cancel. She contacted a local satellite dish guy and he put in a similar sized dish for about 3,000 baht. There is no monthly charge. It has about three English speaking channels that True didn't have. She is satisfied with the selection and I don't much care either way. I do like the fact that there are no more monthly fees.

Gary, are you saying that this has all of the TrueV channels, PLUS about 3 others? What's the name of the satellite that you're linked to? There might be a lot of business availabe for this guy if you can give us more specifics. On the personal level, I have a 10 ft moveable dish, in addition to the small TrueV dish. So I'd LOVE to know what satellite (and its' address) to aim at!!

Sorry for the confusing post. The set up is called IPM. It is all Thai EXCEPT for three English speaking channels.

What exactly is eating away at you, Ulysees?

You seem not to be able to engage in a conversation which allow criticism and points of view.

Instead of responding with your own point of view and still holding respect for others you take it all very personally and choose to launch into insult. Yet again you insult me, not my opinion but me. Amazing- do you know me? No, you don't.

Your insults and arrogance are astounding.

You are the one who decided to imply that Americans and American programs are all "stupid" (and you were just as insulting to Thais). I merely pointed out that you are not nearly as clever as you think you are and now you want to cry about it.

Here is your nasty, insulting post. Don't blame it on me! :)

You have to remember UBC is American and there is a strong American influence in the programming.

I'm sure True just made a pure business decision cost and demand- it shows their viewers are either Americans, non discerning or if Thai want the less complicated plots anyway as they are watching stuff in a foreign language with a foreign context - the British tv will appear too inelligent and requiring concentration - not something Thai tv fosters or develops in the viewing public >

Anyone who watches thai tv will know it's ridiculous slapstick with over the top acting and uncomplicated plots ( dealing in stereotypes all the time) so as to never require any challenging thought in the viewer. American TV is often similar - just watch one of those History channel/ Discovery type programmes and count how many times the same facts are repeated and the story retold - to help the viewer consolidate understanding- unbelieveable ! Therefore the American programmes will be far more enjoyable and accessible to the thai viewing public.

You should be apologizing to Americans, not whining about me! :D

Edited by Ulysses G.

I have to say, Ulysees G - there really is no need at all to criticise spelling or grammar - this is not a formal or professional forum - I never realised I would taken to task over such petty things - all you've managed to do is show yourself as somebody with a rude and angry personality.

I normally would agree, but one would think that a post that strongly implies that the people of an entire nation are all "stupid", would, at least, be written somewhat correctly - A mish-mash of misspelled words, with many errors in simple grammar and capitalization just begs to be pointed out under such circumstances.

The devil made me do it! :)

Don't flatter yourself i'm keeping a record of all the nonsense you come out with Ulysses! :)

I did mention some British comedies that are quite good later in the thread. Anyone with a brain could figure that out - However, that does not seem to include you. :D

So it's ok for me to say that all Americans are idiots, providing i follow it up some hours later by saying i've met a couple of Americans who aren't idiots... and then when people accuse me of making a stupid generalisation, i simply say that it was tongue in cheek all along and only someone without a brain wouldn't be able to figure it out?

Actually no it's not. Why start slamming another country's inhabitants? What is your point? Where do you come from, and why do you feel superior to Americans? Just trying to get to know you, unless, of course, it would be beneath you to get to know an American.

Actually no it's not.

I know it's not. That's EXACTLY the point i was making.

If you are so holier than thou, why did you attack me for replying to him, instead of your buddy tvaddict, who was the one who implied that Americans are stupid in the first place?

Can you spell h y p o c r i t e? :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

If you are so holier than thou, why did you attack me for replying to him, instead of your buddy tvaddict, who was the one who implied that Americans are stupid in the first place?

:D LOL. Calm yourself down mate before you give yourself a hernia!

I didn't "attack" you. No need for melodrama - enough of that on Thai TV! If anyone has been throwing around personal insults it's you.

All i said was if someone makes a daft generalisation about American people, don't retort by making your own daft generalisation, because that will only lead to a childish spat.

Take a look at where we are now on this thread and tell me whether i was right about that.

And the reason why i didn't take anyone to task over any slight on American people was because i assumed that all the American people on this forum could defend themselves and their country perfectly well without my help. Going by your attempt it seems i misjudged. :D

And the reason why i didn't take anyone to task over any slight on American people was because i assumed that all the American people on this forum could defend themselves and their country perfectly well without my help.

Maybe we should be spelling f u l l o f s h i t e. :)

And the reason why i didn't take anyone to task over any slight on American people was because i assumed that all the American people on this forum could defend themselves and their country perfectly well without my help.

Maybe we should be spelling f u l l o f s h i t e. :)

I concur.

:D LOL. Calm yourself down mate before you give yourself a hernia!

I didn't "attack" you. No need for melodrama - enough of that on Thai TV! If anyone has been throwing around personal insults it's you.

All i said was if someone makes a daft generalisation about American people, don't retort by making your own daft generalisation, because that will only lead to a childish spat.

Take a look at where we are now on this thread and tell me whether i was right about that.

And the reason why i didn't take anyone to task over any slight on American people was because i assumed that all the American people on this forum could defend themselves and their country perfectly well without my help. Going by your attempt it seems i misjudged. :D

Maybe we should be spelling f u l l o f s h i t e. :D

This is a perfect example of a typical Ulysses response.

I give a level-headed and reasoned explanation in response to your accusations and all you can muster is a pathetic, angry one-liner that once again resorts to a personal attack.

Ditto to your friend.

Can you not raise your game just a little?

Ulysees, I've got better things to do than respond any further on this thread.

I said before that my original post was a comment on television programmes not people--

this is a point you seem to not understand again and again

you are preferring to see what you want to rather than reading carefully my explanation

I'd also like to ask are you seriously defending Thai TV as high quality? with all due respect surely not

I'll leave you boys to fight it out as clearly there is some other history here but I hope at some point someone gets back on topic

please no more insults, Ulysees... can you respect that request? I'm hoping you can.

Ulysees, I've got better things to do than respond any further on this thread.

I said before that my original post was a comment on television programmes not people--

this is a point you seem to not understand again and again

you are preferring to see what you want to rather than reading carefully my explanation

I'd also like to ask are you seriously defending Thai TV as high quality? with all due respect surely not

I'll leave you boys to fight it out as clearly there is some other history here but I hope at some point someone gets back on topic

please no more insults, Ulysees... can you respect that request? I'm hoping you can.

That is fine, but I think that your original post on this matter makes it pretty clear what you were trying to say and I think that it deserved the response that you got. However, maybe you have thought about it a little more now, since you seem to be backing away from promoting that point of view. That is all I can really ask for.

Peace. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.