Closing The House Down For 8 Weeks.

GungaDin

Plants will be looked after by a neighbour.

Only items left with power on, will be a fridge & a new, 12KB, Canon printer, which is my main concern.

If a blackout happens, (storms) the printer won't fire-up when power comes back on.

What to do, as I don't want another printer with a dried up print head, I have 3 of those already!

All cables will be pulled out of the wall sockets.

Anything else I should be checking before leaving?

cheers :)

gd

Shut down the printer, place in poly bag and seal. Should keep the head moister than if out in the open. If it has removable print-heads put them in a sealed poly bag :)

I'd also turn off all the breakers except the ones for the fridge and printer (if you leave it on). Off the water too unless it's needed to water the plants.

My preference would be to empty the fridge if possible and clean and leave with the door open. If the power goes off for a while the food will go off but you wont know till after you eat it.

Edited by harrry

My prseremcen would be to empty the fridge if possible and clean and leave with the door open. Ifte power goes off for a while the food willo go off but you wont know till after you eat it.

looking at his pic he catches most of his rodents alive and usually consumed within a few minutes.

My prseremcen would be to empty the fridge if possible and clean and leave with the door open. If the power goes off for a while the food willo go off but you wont know till after you eat it.

GD knows ALL about what happens if you leave the fridge door open with the power off, then some kind 'helpful' person closes it :)

Our place is in a coastal area with lots of humidity, so we leave the ceiling fans running 24/7 with the window coverings open. The combination of strong sunlight and circulating air eliminates the chance of mold and mildew forming. We also load up the cupboards and wardrobes with desiccant. We were told (by our insurance agent) to unload and unplug the fridge, but as Crossy mentioned - I worry that someone (cleaners, etc) might close the doors - so we just remove everything and leave it running.

I vote for emptying, cleaning and unplugging the fridge. Make a point of telling those that have access to the house to leave the door open and if necessary block it open with something.

Same for the printer. Unplug it. Remove the print heads and ink cartridges just the way the machine was packed when new. Seal the ink system in poly bags. Rather risk ink issues than a blown printer from the power.

Unless someone is coming in to the place daily and at night the main power should be switched off at the main breaker. I would not trust the power system unless you know beyond a doubt you have a proper wiring system that will not have a fault of some kind.

If possible turn off the water system. If not completely then if you're sinks and other water points have individual stop valves then close the ones that would not be used to isolate the system to maybe only one or two points that will be used.

Some very good advice, thanks fellas.

This is a first for me, leaving a house unattended for a long period.....

All of the Plants were delivered 3 days b4 I got the call to go back to Aus,

hopefully my Thai neighbour will water them 3 times a week.

No one has access to inside the house except my lady lawyer friend, and she lives miles away!

The jury is still out on the fridge. :)

Keep 'em coming!

Zorro, I resemble your remarks. :D