What's The Scam?

A few months ago my wife bought a second hand Mio with only 3,500 Kms on the clock from a friend who'd had it from new. When I asked "where's the service history book?" I got some puzzled looks and was told " there isn't one, don't worry".

Over the next few weeks I persisted to ask for the book with no success, but after about a month it miraculously turned up, minus all the free service coupons and of course nothing entered in the 1,000 KM service page!

Although I could understand that it hadn't been serviced (TIT), I was puzzled as to why the free service vouchers had been ripped out.

Fast forward to last weekend, when I went to a local bike shop to collect a brand new Fino my wifes sister was buying for her son. Although there was only 0.9kms on the clock, there was evidence this wasn't a new bike. There was road dirt in a few crevices and the odd minor scratch here and there. I looked under the seat and found the service history book. All the free service coupons had been ripped out but there was no entries in any of the service pages. The shop insisted this was a new bike, but they looked very sheepish when I showed them the service coupons were missing.

Needles to say we didn't buy the bike. We went to a main dealer and got a new one for the same price.

Does anyone know why bikes are being sold as new with free service coupons removed from the book?

Surely this is some kind of Scam. What's the Scam?

Finance repo's sold as new at a guess. a lot of the shops do their own finance. so if after a few months they reclaim them because they haven't been paid for. Then a new speedo. a clean up and bobs ya uncle, fanny's ya aunt

Edited by thaicbr

Well first one that comes to mind is that they were selling you second hand bike as a new one.

Don't know of the coupons, maybe they are not an official dealer and not able or willing to proper service thus removing the coupons before they sell the bikes. Who knows, maybe bikes destined to Cambodia or just bought from dealer with discount / excluding the service package...

Withnail mate it is dodgy thats why they do it..... dohhh. A lot of 2nd hand bike shops will also replace the plastic. making the bikes look newer!. My old bike i part ex'd changed colour and grew a front disc brake within a day. i noticed it also lost 4,000km's

Edited by thaicbr

Carib. i don't think they even turn back the clock. its so easy and cheap just to buy a new one.

Trent what happened about ya Yami in the end. got it back yet?

Edited by thaicbr

Withnail mate it is dodgy thats why they do it..... dohhh. A lot of 2nd hand bike shops will also replace the plastic. making the bikes look newer!. My old bike i part ex'd changed colour and grew a front disc brake within a day. i noticed it also lost 4,000km's

My point exactly. The only reason I say about the coupons is because I have a Fino which I've taken in to be serviced 3 times now and I seem to recall that whilst they've taken the coupons out there wasn't much else written in there. I don't have the book at hand now but I'll have a look tomorrow, I might be mistaken.

Carib. i don't think they even turn back the clock. its so easy and cheap just to buy a new one.

Yes, you are probably right about the clock.

Fast forward to last weekend,

That's what i did................................ That's how i knew he was on about the 2nd bike :D:D:D

Now rewind a little and you'll see the coupons issue was also with the first bike, hence my comment. It's really not that important anyway, I'm going to bed now. Think you should too cbr. :)

Yeah- Trenty got his Yammie back, but can't seem to keep her upright...

SleepingFZ6.jpg

555! :D:D:D:)

Does seem to impress the cows though...

CowLuvFZ1.jpg

MOO! dancingcow.gifdancingcow.gifdancingcow.gif

Edited by BigBikeBKK

ouch. Blimey what happened there then................ and Withnail nitey, nite mate

Was it that big arse top box fully loaded with skin care products that toppled it over

Edited by thaicbr

ouch. Blimey what happened there then................ and Withnail nitey, nite mate

Was it that big arse top box fully loaded with skin care products that toppled it over

nah i thought i would take advantage of insurance

i crashed it after 3 weeks of owning it and they did a bad job of repairing it so after another 3 days i gave them something else to repair... and im not done yet! there wont be a bike to repair when im done with her... she is falling to bits! love insurance

"nah i thought i would take advantage of insurance"

Trent. Normally i would have thought that there was some pretty looking girl's at the insurance office. But i've been told that your now happily 'under the thumb' and actually engaged. Oh how i laughed.....Trenty engaged, Trenty with only 1 girl.......Wow.. but it seems it's true. Good luck mate.

"nah i thought i would take advantage of insurance"

Trent. Normally i would have thought that there was some pretty looking girl's at the insurance office. But i've been told that your now happily 'under the thumb' and actually engaged. Oh how i laughed.....Trenty engaged, Trenty with only 1 girl.......Wow.. but it seems it's true. Good luck mate.

lol... the boys are at it again arent they? engaged??? r they crazy?

Thanks guys for you're suggestions. After thinking about it a bit more and looking at the service coupons for the new bike, these have the dealers stamp on them. I would guess that both the bikes without the coupons were finance repo's and the coupons having the original dealers stamp would declare that the bike wasn't new - Eureka!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know why bikes are being sold as new with free service coupons removed from the book?

In the sales contract you will most likely not find the mentioning of free service coupons, but only free service.

Certainly they will sell you the coupons for a small surcharge.

:D

(Unless one is aged below 14, he should know that a person who deals with wheeled items cannot be trusted :) )