Buying A Boat

pagallim

I spend a lot of time around the sea, typically with my dogs swimming. Met a guy the other day who was testing his 18' Boston Whaler after having had some engine repairs. Must admit I mentally reminisced about the 20' boat that I had quite a few years ago whilst working in Qatar. This prompted me to start doing searches of boats available in Phuket, but there is so little information unless you want to go for some kind of 'super yacht' costing more than an average condo. I would really like to pick up something a little larger than a 'day sailor' dinghy, or alternatively a reasonable power boat, but obviously not pay a stupid price for it. Anyone can give a constructive suggestion?

I spend a lot of time around the sea, typically with my dogs swimming. Met a guy the other day who was testing his 18' Boston Whaler after having had some engine repairs. Must admit I mentally reminisced about the 20' boat that I had quite a few years ago whilst working in Qatar. This prompted me to start doing searches of boats available in Phuket, but there is so little information unless you want to go for some kind of 'super yacht' costing more than an average condo. I would really like to pick up something a little larger than a 'day sailor' dinghy, or alternatively a reasonable power boat, but obviously not pay a stupid price for it. Anyone can give a constructive suggestion?

I have gone through the same thing so if you are serious and in Phuket send me a message.

Edited by Fress

DONT DO IT!

i bought a crownline 315 scr in may  2008 it was delivered in december, we went out a few times on it and decided it was not really something we enjoyed as a family so i put it up for sale on thai visa but also through the boker. i put it up for 5.5 million which was cheap considering i paid closer to 7, i just accepted 3.5 last month.... the only people who enjoy boats is the shark brokers who sell them

Thanks for your swift comments so far folks. Think that I need to reiterate though, that I'm looking at a day boat, be it sail or power, and certainly in the hundreds of thousands rather than the millions of baht. My preference would be for sail, but apart from vastly overpriced racing dinghies, there doesn't seem to be a lot out there, which is surprising given the sailing waters particularly around the east coast of Phuket. All comments still welcome

DONT DO IT!

i bought a crownline 315 scr in may  2008 it was delivered in december, we went out a few times on it and decided it was not really something we enjoyed as a family so i put it up for sale on thai visa but also through the boker. i put it up for 5.5 million which was cheap considering i paid closer to 7, i just accepted 3.5 last month.... the only people who enjoy boats is the shark brokers who sell them

Obviously not a good experience, and reminds me of the adage of there are only 2 good days with a boat. The day you buy it, and the day you sell it. Seriously though, they can be a great source of pleasure, but I think research and patience in getting exactly what you're looking for are crucial.

You must also know if it flys, floats or fX#ks RENT it but if your going to spend some quality time abord then there are some good deals around on sail boats with people that have done half a circumvavigation and decided asia is as good as it gets, check out Langkawi you might get lukey but 100s k unlikey

Depends exactly what you're looking for to be honest.

For sailing, there are a few Tasar and Topper type dinghies down at Ao Yon.

They are two person sailing boats with a reasonable turn of speed.

The Thai importer lives in Ao Yon for the Topper

I have a contact for some Tasars. They are very popular in Australia and after purchase and import/delivery, you'd get an extremely decent one for 200k and a good one that needs a bit of elbow grease for say 120k

Failing that, what might be an idea is a large RIB complete with Bimini cover. It's lighter than a speedboat so you dont need a range rover to tow it, nor a huge engine to power it on the water. The bimini cover keeps the sun off you.

I've seen 15 foot ones that have CD player and ice box (not fridge) but sadly are closer to 500k baht.

Sailing isnt as popular as you might think here. We are 8 degrees north of the equator, which is virtually in the Doldrums.

Secondly, you can hire a longtail boat for the day for very little money which can take you where you want to go.

Let me know if you're interested in checking out the dingies.

I sail out of Ao Yon.

Have a look at the Tasar and Topper web sites.

Hope this helps

My OH bought a small Bayliner last year from Max Marine. (It's a dayboat.) Imported through Max Marine. We're still enjoying it after a year. Good boating around Phang Nga bay which is sheltered. If you want any contact info for Max Marine, send me a PM, but you can find online I'm sure.

Depends exactly what you're looking for to be honest.

For sailing, there are a few Tasar and Topper type dinghies down at Ao Yon.

They are two person sailing boats with a reasonable turn of speed.

The Thai importer lives in Ao Yon for the Topper

I have a contact for some Tasars. They are very popular in Australia and after purchase and import/delivery, you'd get an extremely decent one for 200k and a good one that needs a bit of elbow grease for say 120k

Failing that, what might be an idea is a large RIB complete with Bimini cover. It's lighter than a speedboat so you dont need a range rover to tow it, nor a huge engine to power it on the water. The bimini cover keeps the sun off you.

I've seen 15 foot ones that have CD player and ice box (not fridge) but sadly are closer to 500k baht.

Sailing isnt as popular as you might think here. We are 8 degrees north of the equator, which is virtually in the Doldrums.

Secondly, you can hire a longtail boat for the day for very little money which can take you where you want to go.

Let me know if you're interested in checking out the dingies.

I sail out of Ao Yon.

Have a look at the Tasar and Topper web sites.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the info, though I'm really looking for either a day sailing boat with a cuddy for shelter (rather than an outright racing dinghy), or a small power boat. The figure I had in mind was somewhere between US$10-15,000. Not really interested in a RIB. I've hired a longtail several times, usually to go from Rawai to Koh Bon for lunch.

Thanks for the info, though I'm really looking for either a day sailing boat with a cuddy for shelter (rather than an outright racing dinghy), or a small power boat. The figure I had in mind was somewhere between US$10-15,000. Not really interested in a RIB. I've hired a longtail several times, usually to go from Rawai to Koh Bon for lunch.

If you are interested, I do know of a near new Beneteau 7.5 which is just about to be shipped to Hong Kong if it doesn't sell (asking price is B1.2 m). This is the replacement for the Platu and is a one class boat, ideal for training or club racing, or just mucking about. Comes with an outboard motor as well I believe.

I am also aware of a near new 18ft Boston Whaler with Mercury 90 hp on the back. It has never been launched but is several years old. I am sure that a deal could be done on this one as well.

PM me if you are interested. I am not the dealer on either boat but do know the owners in both cases.

Cheers

Thanks for your swift comments so far folks. Think that I need to reiterate though, that I'm looking at a day boat, be it sail or power, and certainly in the hundreds of thousands rather than the millions of baht. My preference would be for sail, but apart from vastly overpriced racing dinghies, there doesn't seem to be a lot out there, which is surprising given the sailing waters particularly around the east coast of Phuket. All comments still welcome

I know of a power cruiser.. Large thing, easily something to sleep on, galley sleeping cabin, etc.. Cost the guy a couple of mil and hed take 800k (and have a little cry about it) if your really interested.

Am out of Thailand for a couple of months but if you PM I have a way of getting in touch with him.

If you are interested, I do know of a near new Beneteau 7.5 which is just about to be shipped to Hong Kong if it doesn't sell (asking price is B1.2 m). This is the replacement for the Platu and is a one class boat, ideal for training or club racing, or just mucking about. Comes with an outboard motor as well I believe.

I am also aware of a near new 18ft Boston Whaler with Mercury 90 hp on the back. It has never been launched but is several years old. I am sure that a deal could be done on this one as well.

PM me if you are interested. I am not the dealer on either boat but do know the owners in both cases.

Cheers

Again, thanks, but the Beneteau 7.5 is essentially a racing dinghy, which doesn't interest me. The Boston Whaler could be interesting, but I know from experience they tend to be expensive.

Have started to get quite a few responses which I will definitely follow up on. My search is serious, and I won't waste anyone's time for a genuine seller of what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the PM's, and various correspondence's that I've received. Have got a couple of good leads, and now down to inspection/negotiation I think. What I also now realise is the cost of keeping a boat in a marina. Typically, a berth will have a minimum cost of circa 11,000 baht/month (for something 8 metres or less), and that's before you use any fresh water or electric! I can rent a pleasant bungalow for less money, let alone a few metres of water and a floating walkway! This is a good learning experience of course, and I'm homing in on what is both practical and reasonably priced. Subject not closed however, and I still welcome comments and suggestions.

Thanks for the PM's, and various correspondence's that I've received. Have got a couple of good leads, and now down to inspection/negotiation I think. What I also now realise is the cost of keeping a boat in a marina. Typically, a berth will have a minimum cost of circa 11,000 baht/month (for something 8 metres or less), and that's before you use any fresh water or electric! I can rent a pleasant bungalow for less money, let alone a few metres of water and a floating walkway! This is a good learning experience of course, and I'm homing in on what is both practical and reasonably priced. Subject not closed however, and I still welcome comments and suggestions.

I've looked for Power-cruiser rentals in thailand and can't find anything reasonable...

Does anyone know where something like a 30' Cruiser could be rented and what prices ?

My thinking is that if I'm only going to use a boat 6 times per year then 30,000 B for a couple of days is not a lot more than the 10,000 B per month birthing, plus cost of boat, plus depreciation etc... I know some Yachts are +/- Euro 300 per night (+/-14000 :) which I think is quite reasonable given the extra costs of owning. I'm left wondering about the hire of power cruiser if available at all......

I've looked for Power-cruiser rentals in thailand and can't find anything reasonable...

Does anyone know where something like a 30' Cruiser could be rented and what prices ?

My thinking is that if I'm only going to use a boat 6 times per year then 30,000 B for a couple of days is not a lot more than the 10,000 B per month birthing, plus cost of boat, plus depreciation etc... I know some Yachts are +/- Euro 300 per night (+/-14000 :) which I think is quite reasonable given the extra costs of owning. I'm left wondering about the hire of power cruiser if available at all......

Check the websites of some of the brokers in Phuket (Lee Marine and Simpson Marine amongst others), and drop an email enquiry to them. Don't know if they are involved with chartering, however given they are embedded into the Phuket 'marine world' I'm sure they'll be able to refer you to someone. I did see some advertising for chartering power cruisers, but like a piece of string, how long and how much were totally open.

Had an interesting day today, wandering around a couple of the Phuket marinas (Boat Lagoon and Royal Phuket), seeing if there were any boats with 'for sale' signs present. Yes there were, though mainly way out of my league in terms of size/price. What did strike me was the lack of activity, even given the 'low/summer' season aspect. The restaurants in both places were completely empty, but all had staff dutifully waiting. Could be a very long wait.

I recently popped down from Bangkok and visited the Marina in Pattaya. I was surprised to find there too was dead with no one around.

While talking with my girlfriend today…(it’s Marriage first, then boat) she suggested the chartering option. Previously I’d had a fruitless search on the internet, but the discussion with her and this thread re-opened the charter idea.

Otherwise... I still risk being made a gelding and looking at buying a boat before I buy her (sin-sod joke)…

Other thoughts include purchasing a boat in syndicate, this takes a lot of trust, good insurance but worth while if it works.....

To be honest, Phuket isnt a great place to get a bargain boat. There just arent enough boats here to make it competitive.

Odd isint it !

Just about anywhere in Europe would be a million times better in terms of number of boats within your price range. Here in Phuket you may find just one or two boats suitable for you.

You said the Benetau is a sailing dinghy.............it has a cabin you know?

Secondly, marina fees of 11k a month are about right, but you can always moor it in one of the bays (chalong etc) for free. I have friends who moor at naiharn and chalong depending on which monsoon is blowing.

Its free.

The other thing about buying a boat is that you have to remember it's just a hobby - and an expensive one at that.

Parts, insurance and maintenance are all expensive on a boat.

Seriously, do some proper maths and work out how many times you will use the thing. You may find that it's cheaper to charter a boat for 6 weekends a year rather than buy your own boat and only use it 6 times.

I sail regularly, and i can swear that the vast majority of boats moored up in the south of Phuket get used less than 6 times a year. Just paying to have it lifted out of the water and anti-fouled once a year would cost the same as a couple of weekends rental on a charter boat.

Boating in this area is very difficult to do on a small budget.

In Europe you can do it.............but it's hard here.

Dunno how handy you are but there is a guy in Chalong who makes pretty basic ply/epoxy catamarans, with cabins and a long tail engine for a couple hundred k baht.

You'd need to be handy with tools yourself to bring it up to half way decent standard though.

I find it very expensive to keep a boat here.

My last boat back home was a 2001 Flybridge cruiser 42'. I checked out in 2003 how it would be to ship it here (900k to Singapore) and keep it here. The berthing costs, spareparts and maintance is much more expensive here in Phuket.

I sold it back home.

Miss a boat here, but it would have to be possible to trailer it to keep the berthing fees down parts of the year and park it at home, so go fast max 33', possibly RIB. :)

I have a 5 metre power boat for sale. It is 2 years old, but little used, as I also have a sailboat, which I much prefer..! The boat is Thai-registered, was built by Savage of Australia, and has an aluminium hull, and a 75 HP Mercury outboard engine. It is fast, and comfortable, as it has a deep V-hull. It has a spray dodger, and a full boat cover for storage. It comes on a very good quality trailer, so you can launch it yourself, wherever there's a ramp. It also has a VHF and Fishfinder, and an anchor and fenders etc. It is an ideal dayboat, for fishing, diving or island hopping. If you are interested, you can PM me, and arrange to go to see it in Boat Lagoon Marina, or I can send you a photo. I am away until early July. I am looking for about 600k baht.

I have a 5 metre power boat for sale. It is 2 years old, but little used, as I also have a sailboat, which I much prefer..! The boat is Thai-registered, was built by Savage of Australia, and has an aluminium hull, and a 75 HP Mercury outboard engine. It is fast, and comfortable, as it has a deep V-hull. It has a spray dodger, and a full boat cover for storage. It comes on a very good quality trailer, so you can launch it yourself, wherever there's a ramp. It also has a VHF and Fishfinder, and an anchor and fenders etc. It is an ideal dayboat, for fishing, diving or island hopping. If you are interested, you can PM me, and arrange to go to see it in Boat Lagoon Marina, or I can send you a photo. I am away until early July. I am looking for about 600k baht.

Have sent you a PM.

Hi all, a very good thread. I also am interested in a trailerable powerboat for use with the family and a bit of fishing. Wanting something suitable to tow across thailand and launch on the east coast so not too big. So a boat that doesnt need a marina berth or a huge viehicle to tow it, as drive a vigo.

Am out of the country at present but back in early next month. Please PM me if you know of anything suitable. Also not wanting to spend millions as is a toy.

I recently popped down from Bangkok and visited the Marina in Pattaya. I was surprised to find there too was dead with no one around.

While talking with my girlfriend today…(it’s Marriage first, then boat) she suggested the chartering option. Previously I’d had a fruitless search on the internet, but the discussion with her and this thread re-opened the charter idea.

Otherwise... I still risk being made a gelding and looking at buying a boat before I buy her (sin-sod joke)…

Other thoughts include purchasing a boat in syndicate, this takes a lot of trust, good insurance but worth while if it works.....

Fractional Ownership is being done here in Phuket and is based on the successful Australian model which has been going for 10 years now. I was personally involved in this until just recently and can testify that it is a viable alternative to owning outright or chartering.

PM me if you would like more information on the who and where as I believe that there are several boats of varying sizes and prices currently looking for members.

Hi all, a very good thread. I also am interested in a trailerable powerboat for use with the family and a bit of fishing. Wanting something suitable to tow across thailand and launch on the east coast so not too big. So a boat that doesnt need a marina berth or a huge viehicle to tow it, as drive a vigo.

Am out of the country at present but back in early next month. Please PM me if you know of anything suitable. Also not wanting to spend millions as is a toy.

The MacGregor 26 might be what you are looking for.

It's a sailing boat with a rotating mast which is easy to unstep. (make it go horizontal)

It's 26 foot long x 8 feet wide. (pretty narrow - but good for tralering)

It has no keel - rather a large dagger board which you raise up for beaching or trailering. It uses a water ballast system, so it should be ok if you get knocked down on the water. When you want to trailer it, you empty the water out. A Vigo is more than man enough to tow this boat.

It can also take up to a 50hp outboard motor.

It has a private heads (bathroom)

They go for around a million baht.

I've never sailed one, but they arent supposed to be brilliant as a sail boat - merely adequate, however, that may suit you as you arent looking at winning regattas are you.

With say a 20hp outboard on board, you will be able to get to any island off the coast of phuket when there is no wind.

Yes it wont win the King's cup - but for the price and flexibiltiy, it's hard to beat.

I think there is a dealer in Pattaya.

At the Phuket boat show 2 or 3 years ago there was a dealer there from Pattaya.

Hope this helps.