21 New Cases Of Influenza 2009 In Pattaya

george

Bloody Farangs coming here with your desease and destroying our tourists inductry.

We're destroying the tourist industry which we created!

Nuttin' to worry, getting pissed and laid ain't the tourist industry. Anyway, keep a pack of Kleenex handy to avoid dripping on the floor 'coz too bad if someone slips and breaks a leg. No need for further negative headlines. :)

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so now we all get paranoid about a bit of flu, in Pattaya??

Don't think to many people are paranoid mate and it's not this virus we have to worry about at the moment

But if and when it mutates and possibly mixes with H5N1 (endemic in Asia)

:)

Actually this H1N1 virus mutated from H5N1 and this was always the concern (in the days of bird flu etc). H5N1 does not transmit easily between humans, it needed to find its way into something like a pig or monkey to mutate into a humanly transmittable form. Now that it has done that and is now a Humanly transmittable virus we are going to watch it mutate into its more pathogenic stages. Traditionally stage 1 (the current stage) is mild and not very lethal. But note it's M.O. is what the experts are worried about so much, it is the tendency for this virus to cause hypercytokinemia which when this virus develops into stage 3 & 4 will kill people (between 20-50 years of age) like you have no idea. It is this and not the flu symptoms my friends, that has all the experts so terrified. That and the fact that we have no way of stopping it nor preventing it. I hope that it can be stopped or slowed, but that is now an extremely unlikely outcome. Take precautions (avoid obvious potential threats) and keep your hands cleaned regularly. Viruses much prefer to hitchike than to fly. More bacteria is transmitted from what you touch than what you breath in.

What a disaster for the tourism industry eh?

Update:

PM: 20 more flu cases in Pattaya

BANGKOK: -- Another 20 cases of A(H1N1) influenza have been found in the resort town of Pattaya, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said on Thursday.

The patients were all workers at entertainment places. All were now in the care of the Public Health Ministry, the prime minister said.

Health officials would examine people at major tourist attractions in both Pattaya and Phuket to get a more accurate number of how many people have so far caught the flu in Thailand.

On Wednesday, the Public Health Ministry put the number of confirmed flu cases at 16, after an 11-year-old 6th grade boy at a private school in Sam Sen area of Bangkok was found to have the flu virus.

The ministry ordered three classes at the school closed for three days and 13 other students from the school were placed under close watch after they showed flu-like symptoms.

The 11-year-old boy is the second case of human-to-human transmission confirmed in Thailand. He has not recently travelled out of the country, officials said.

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-06-11

Of course this is a serious thing. A normal flu usually kill old people or people that are already weakened by diseases. This one kills adults. Given the current death/infected ratio, a spread to 1/3 of Thailands population would result in 90000 deaths. And most of them healthy adults. Most likely much higher because a spread like that would make it impossible to give the treatment they do now that the number of sick are low.

And to add to it, its not only about deaths. Serious diseases like this also affect survivors. Giving them various degrees of long term effects and disabilities. Like in traffic accidents, the dead are sometimes the lucky ones.

Sorry, everyone who is wishful thinking better read the other flu post here in News Clippings.

It is the piggy flu! :)

Problem is not the flue, problem is what is being done to prevent it from spreading.

Answer is nothing when it comes to foreigners and that is the main point. Not what kind it is, who brought it or who spreads it or why, when or whatever else people can come up with.

Providing care is taken,recovery rates from H1N1 are very high.

Can TAT use that in their advertisements:

"Providing care is taken, recovery rates from H1N1 are very high. So, no problem, visit the Land of Smiles today."

The fact is that it is hurting tourism all over. I hope it does not mutate into an extremely deadly form.

But viruses love to mutate......it is how they get their kicks. :)

What if H1N1 mutates with an STD?? Probably make a lot more people susceptible to either one :D

swine flu... just a distraction from the economic problems that are bringing the world down... keep the people scared and distracted so they don't see your mistakes

Yes and AIDS is to stop people from having sex

SARS is to kill the airline industry

Cancer is to make more money

And some people need a brain cell before they are allowed to do any postings.

excuse me for failing to fall into a fear trap. real or not i'm not living in a cardboard box or in fear. as for your cheap insult... if someone's opinion differs to yours does that instantly mean that they are lacking intellegence. grow up, open your mind and try enjoying life

Canada's Public Health Agency released its latest figures on Wednesday afternoon which showed 533 new cases of A/H1N1 flu on Tuesday and Wednesday. This latest batch of cases brings the country's total to 2,978. Ontario alone reported 339 new infections bringing the province's total to 1,562. This is the highest number of cases by far among the provinces in Canada. The other provinces that are hardest hit by the swine flu virus are Quebec with 611 confirmed cases, Saskatchewan with 221 reported cased, Alberta with 195 and British Columbia with 151 cases. To date, only the province of Newfoundland and Labrador has not reported any cases among the ten provinces and three territories in the country. Meanwhile, the number of patients who needed to be hospitalized has increased to 138 with four fatalities.

http://www.ubalert.com

Has anyone heard which "disco" is was in Pattaya? Depending on which one it is, one can pretty much stereotype the kinds of bars these disco goers would be at in Bangkok, and avoid them.

Ah yes, we introduce the social and class elements associated with catching a flu virus. So how to handle the problem, the disco in question may have been one frequented by bar girls hence must avoid all bar girl disco's, and bar girls, and poorer village people in the street and their potential customers etc etc. Or perhaps it was a top end disco where only monied people might go in which case must avoid Emporium, Paragon, anyone who looks slightly wealthy etc etc. I mean really!!!

Edited by chiang mai

Remember a while back they were saying wearing face masks were ineffective in protecting against swine flu?

Well, watching coverage of the outbreak in Australia, I see that all the healthcare workrers and airport personnel were wearing them.....

I predict a new fashion statement is on the way for Pattaya!

......heading to the Pharmacy to stock up! :)

Remember a while back they were saying wearing face masks were ineffective in protecting against swine flu?

Well, watching coverage of the outbreak in Australia, I see that all the healthcare workrers and airport personnel were wearing them.....

......heading to the Pharmacy to stock up! :)

People wear face masks to protect others and not themselves, as a general rule.

I bet the disco was Hollywood. Not so many discos which are so big. If 20 staff have flu then probably the place has about 50-100 staff so only big one I can think of is Hollywood. Hollywood is a pick up place for tourists and Thais.

The flu will certainly spread quickly in Thailand. Unlike Aussie, people won't know to immediately go to the doctor and get the anti-virals so like Mexico we could see some of the less educated or poorer people die here.

At some point the hospitals will also run out of Tamiflu, the only drug which they stock to kill the virus. By-the-way, for all those unphased by the outbreak, the bulk of the inventory for this drug has passed its expiry date with most of it stocked in 2004 and 2005. The drug maker said that stocks could last an extra year over the 3year date if stored properly i.e. at the right temperature which is unlikely in Thailand except perhaps tablets at the better hospitals.

What I am wondering is what happens when all the drug, new or old runs out which it will do soon????

......heading to the Pharmacy to stock up! :D

Do you really think that is the case? :)

Bloody Farangs coming here with your desease and destroying our tourists inductry.

I'm not going to insult you because it is probably against the rules of this esteemed Forum, but I deeply despise you and your unfathomable ignorance.

Edited by Siriam

I'm not going to insult you because it is probably against the rules of this esteemed Forum, but I deeply despise you and your unfathomable ignorance.

Its been said some people cant detect sarcasm.. :)

Indeed I do, unless of course they are of a type that is designed to protect the wearer and filter in bound air, most masks bought over the counter and used by medical staff are not of that type. surgical masks are designed to trap exhaled particles rather than filter inbound air. Google the subject and check it out.

Thais don't need farangs or swine flu to destroy the tourism industry, they do a pretty good job already closing airports and having stupid protests during Songkran

Right on the money!!! :)

Edited by DonGato

well thats my trip to Patts cancelled! But maybe as I am bound to get it ( I always have in the passed) I suffer very badly.I have had the flu jab for the last 15 years and have not had it since..No flu jab for this one yet..My point is better i go get the flu there in Pattaya where they have Tami-flu to take..her in Chiang rai they do not have it! I've checked and for sure it will come up here sooner or later.......So maybe best to have a few flu parties so as to get it while you can get the medicine!!

CANBERRA The inventor of the flu vaccination, which is given to 15 million Britons each year, said that he feared a severe outbreak of the virus and that he had never been very impressed with its efficacy.

Dr Graeme Laver, former Professor of Biochemistry at the Australian National University in Canberra, said: “It is better to do nothing, and I wouldn’t want to advise people not to take it, but you can’t rely on it doing any good.”

Indeed I do, unless of course they are of a type that is designed to protect the wearer and filter in bound air, most masks bought over the counter and used by medical staff are not of that type. surgical masks are designed to trap exhaled particles rather than filter inbound air. Google the subject and check it out.

Just was about to write the same.

Thanks for the clarification.

I am more worried about surviving when crossing Sukhumvit on a motorbike than of ever getting bird flu or swine flu or katoey flu :)
Hi what is katoy flu? is it that u r some kind of afraid to get bitten by the Ladyboy "virus" who make u become 1? hehe..or?