Oysters In Pattaya

roderick17

in 15 years I have twice had Oysters, on each occasion it was my then TGF who ordered them for me and twice I was laid up with Gastroenteritis for a few days, last my then TGF ordered oysters I refused to eat the so she ate them and was laid up the next day with Gastroenteritis.

I now avoid them and take care to watch what TGF orders.

in 15 years I have twice had Oysters, on each occasion it was my then TGF who ordered them for me and twice I was laid up with Gastroenteritis for a few days, last my then TGF ordered oysters I refused to eat the so she ate them and was laid up the next day with Gastroenteritis.

I now avoid them and take care to watch what TGF orders.

First time we ate oysters in Pattaya all was ok, :D so went the next night for seconds .Biggest mistake we ever made! :D Both ended up with severe gatroenteritis!!

:) You may get lucky! and avoid it, but in my opinion raw shell fish, in Thailand should be avoided at all costs.

Preecha in Ban Ampur....this great seafood restaurant has a oyster tank with some huge tasty oysters

I second that, this place is always very busy and consequently has a huge turnover of fresh seafood! Aroy mak!!!

Having experienced the contents of the local sea water, I would not want to eat anything that filter feeds in this area. But the imported NZ oysters at Bruno's are a delicious, if expensive, treat.

^ yes, no matter how fresh they are if they are full of toxins..

Last time I ate at Preecha got sick, been eating there for years, and will go back, but sadly most seafood in Thailand is farmed in badly polluted water.

Had a friend stay last year, he loves Oysters and ate them just about everyday - he ended up in Hospital, they said it was Mercury poisoning from all the Oysters!

First time we ate oysters in Pattaya all was ok, :D so went the next night for seconds .

Biggest mistake we ever made! :D Both ended up with severe gatroenteritis!!

:) You may get lucky! and avoid it, but in my opinion raw shell fish,

in Thailand should be avoided at all costs.

I do like oysters and I eat ones about every month at restaurants

on Soi Lucky Star (soi from Walking Street to Coyotee's or Marine Plazza)

I never had any problem with oysters or sea food there :D

Must admit i had some shellfish recently and Bam first case of chronic food piosing in years and it was the one time I had them in Pattaya. Unless imported stay well away although g/f buys oysters on the beach , shelled in the little plastic bags and never had a problem so must just be us farangs

Must admit i had some shellfish recently and Bam first case of chronic food piosing in years and it was the one time I had them in Pattaya. Unless imported stay well away although g/f buys oysters on the beach , shelled in the little plastic bags and never had a problem so must just be us farangs

When a restaurant offers "imported" oysters how do you know the are actually imported and not over priced local ones? I mean this is Thailand. :)

I think the oysters that are local here are very large from what I have experienced. usually imported are smaller but tastier but then again your right this is Thailand and there probably working on creating a "fake "oyster

I miss my all you can eat oysters ,seafood at the sheraton gold coast!

On the US Gulf Coast, the general rule is NOT to eat oysters in any month that does NOT have an 'r' in it due to toxins that are a natural part of their breeding process. Hence September through April are "good" months and May through August oysters should be avoided. During the summer, no seafood restaurant or market has or sells fresh oysters.

Since the Gulf of Thailand is in the same hemisphere, would the same rules apply?

Edited by NanLaew

On the US Gulf Coast, the general rule is NOT to eat oysters in any month that does NOT have an 'r' in it due to toxins that are a natural part of their breeding process. Hence September through April are "good" months and May through August oysters should be avoided. During the summer, no seafood restaurant or market has or sells fresh oysters.

Since the Gulf of Thailand is in the same hemisphere, would the same rules apply?

Maybe for Pattaya the rule should be NOT to eat oysters in any month that does NOT have a 'Z' in it... :)

or an 'X' (I had to check first).

I just reread what was said, and I want to change it to any month that has an 'A', 'E', 'I', 'O', or 'U' in it.

I'm confused.

Edited by Shotime

Every one of my friends who has sampled the oysters in those expensive sea food places in Walking Street has been laid up in bed for 2 or 3 days as a result and had pay out 4000 or 5000 bt Doctors bills to boot. I love an oyster but would not touch one in Thailand if they were giving them out free.

And your complaints if you bother to make them will just fall on deaf ears. One of our pals had to spend 16 hours in the clinic on a drip. Maybe we've just been unlucky but eating oysters in that tropical heat is a bit risky.

Every one of my friends who has sampled the oysters in those expensive sea food places in Walking Street has been laid up in bed for 2 or 3 days as a result and had pay out 4000 or 5000 bt Doctors bills to boot. I love an oyster but would not touch one in Thailand if they were giving them out free.

And your complaints if you bother to make them will just fall on deaf ears. One of our pals had to spend 16 hours in the clinic on a drip. Maybe we've just been unlucky but eating oysters in that tropical heat is a bit risky.

maybe not so much the heat, many top class restaurants near the equator, I would say its probably more to do with filter feeding and where the actual oyster farms are located. Certainly non of the oysters I ate smelled off which would indicate bad storage