Tuk Tuk - Cost Per Person Or For The Vehicle

Gordo

My wife and I will be making our maiden trip to Phuket (Patong) in the next week. We are very excited to say the least !

My simple question is, is the cost of a Tuk Tuk per person or per vehicle ?

Always, always negotiate the full price before you even step into a Tuk Tuk. And make sure the price is for all the passengers, and not per person. Tuk tuk drivers are known to be the biggest bandits in town and will really take advantage of newbie's in town. I sure that plenty of other forum members will chip in with their thoughts.

Seems like a perfectly normal question for someone new to forum to ask...why would they get 'flamed' at all.

Problem with someone new to Phuket/Thailand trying to organise a price before getting in a TukTuk is unless you know what the journey should cost then its hard to negotiate. I guess you have to just ask in the hotel if you have one when you arrive and then base your negotiations around their suggestions.

It depends on where you are using it.Around patong no more than 200bt and thats for the took took .If traveling to phuket town or other places get a private taxi most hotel have there own,check there prices against the ones on the street.

We got Taxi's instead of hiring a car so we could both have a relaxing time,Worked out just cheaper than a hire car.

Talk to the driver to set out where you want to go or he will take you places that benifit him .Dont grab the first taxi shop around

Edited by ratio

You will find that most items, regardless of the location, can be negotiated, but be weary of your options.

For a few instances:

If you are on a long open, empty stretch of road, and you flag one down, the price may be higher.

If you exit the Shopping centers (ie Central, Jungceylon) there are far more options, so the price may be lower.

Don't be suprised when the exact same trip costs different. In Thailand, always remember that yes, they are working for a living, but you worked for that money as well. It is always business, and nothing personal. If a Taxi Driver tells you 600 baht, and you say 250, you are not hurting his feelings, you are simply involved in a business deal, so negotiate. But don't be a fool. Have fun, and ALWAYS SMILE!!!!!!!

He who negotiates better in Thailand, Wins. Often, I say 250, knowing I only have 3 One Hundred Baht Bills. When we arrive, I say 300 baht, tip for you, WHILE SMILING!!!

Also, you will see signs (occasionally) that say the price from one place to another. Look at the sign before you begin your negotiations.

Beleive me when I tell you, it is business. And it is fun. You will love your vacation as long as you realize that Thailand, wherever you may roam, is full of commerce. People making, cooking, driving, for a living. Respect them, and you will have a lovely time.

I personally recommend Tuk-Tuk's until you get a lay of the land, but a Motor Scooter is much better because you can stop and smell the SomTum.

Hope your vacation is wonderful.

todd

Thanks all for your replies.

My wife and I are staying at the Amari (up the hill) and understand we'll need to use a Tuk Tuk given the distance to the main streets of Patong. My wife doesn't like to walk too far at the best of times.

Gordon

Tuk-tuks are a miserable part of the Thai experience. Phuket is the worst place by far.

Nothing spoils a nice time more than the thought of getting taken advantage of everytime you need to go someplace.

Pattaya's baht busses, while even crooked, are at least uniformly so.

Tuk-tuks are a miserable part of the Thai experience. Phuket is the worst place by far.

Nothing spoils a nice time more than the thought of getting taken advantage of everytime you need to go someplace.

Pattaya's baht busses, while even crooked, are at least uniformly so.

I agree Phuket should be ashamed how they run their taxi and Tuk Tuk service 200 baht to go 200 yards it would be a much better place to visit if they had fair and honest service

I see the Amari offers a shuttle bus to Kata Beach (presumably free) but not locally. Not all that far a walk, but a very short distance tuk tuk can actually be had for B150 from some drivers, but B200 for more than a couple of blocks. Tell reception where you are going and ask what the fare should be. Don't ask the tuk tuk driver how much, just tell him your destination and say 200 baht (or whatever reception advised) for both of you. If he asks for a significantly higher amount, move on to the next one. Despite what has been said, there is no shortage of dishonest Thais (same as anywhere else), with all sorts of tricks to separate you from your money. However, the vast majority are decent, polite and honest folk. Street vendors and markets selling brand label goods will tell you they are genuine - they will be copies. Jung Ceylon is one good place for genuine goods (eg Robinsons) and you will soon get a feel for where the real vs copy goods can be purchased.

I wish you an enjoyable holiday.

I truly hope the OP has a great time in Phuket. I cant help feeling it is such a shame that they have gone to the effort of becoming a member and posting on this forum....not for advise of the best beaches, great restaurants or places of interest....but to ask about tuk-tuk prices........this is the image that Phuket projects to the outside world, one of expense, rip offs and plain greed....