Touring Thailand On Bike

lmacka

Hi all

I'm pondering over an idea to see Thailand from a motorbike. I'll get the important stuff out first. I'm a 24 year old Australian guy and I have two 60 day tourist visas. I'm nearly half way through the first one.

At the moment I'm in Chiang Mai and will be for a few more days before I leave to see what Thailand has to offer.

I've found a Honda Super4 400cc bike here for 30,000B. It's done roughly 36,000ks, it's an ex rental and seems to be in pretty good shape. It has no plates.

From the research I've done I've been told that no plates is ok as long as I stay out of major cities and don't try and cross any borders. Is this correct?

If this works out then I might do the same for each country I visit. Another thing, how hard would it be to sell a bike like that after using it for a month?

All feedback welcome. Thanks in advance!

- L

Hi all

I'm pondering over an idea to see Thailand from a motorbike. I'll get the important stuff out first. I'm a 24 year old Australian guy and I have two 60 day tourist visas. I'm nearly half way through the first one.

At the moment I'm in Chiang Mai and will be for a few more days before I leave to see what Thailand has to offer.

I've found a Honda Super4 400cc bike here for 30,000B. It's done roughly 36,000ks, it's an ex rental and seems to be in pretty good shape. It has no plates.

From the research I've done I've been told that no plates is ok as long as I stay out of major cities and don't try and cross any borders. Is this correct?

If this works out then I might do the same for each country I visit. Another thing, how hard would it be to sell a bike like that after using it for a month?

- L

Good idea, wrong bike.

I have done it in the north, best way to travel and discover, for sure. You definitely not need a 400cc to do that, because i don't think you want to go at full speed on the highway but you want to take provincial roads and take a look at the surroundings right?

And a bike without plate is sure source of problems with police.

Do you have an international driving license? If not more problems with that bike.

My suggestion is to buy a small bike, Honda Wave or Click, cost about 15-25.000 second hand, easy to travel, more space available than big bike (specially the Click), use half the gasoline and sell easier when you end your travel.

Only one doubt, how do you buy a bike without a residence address and contract in Thailand? You know the documents you need?

One advice, don't buy the bike from people that rent bikes, normally the kms are the double than shown.

Good luck!!

Honda Waves are very unsafe on long rides and not comfortable at all. I rode a 400 Steed to Singapore and back from Bangkok through Yala, Cameron Highland, Malaga. That is a comfortable and reliable bike. But that was some years ago.

If I were OP I would not buy a bike without a plate. It could be stolen. At police checks you an easy prey, as you, additional to that, do not have an international driving licence for motor bikes, I guess. On the other hand you are not allowed with your visa to buy a bike officially.

Check out the Bikes In Thailand Forum on TV. Here are the experts.

Honda Waves are very unsafe on long rides and not comfortable at all. I rode a 400 Steed to Singapore and back from Bangkok through Yala, Cameron Highland, Malaga. That is a comfortable and reliable bike. But that was some years ago.

If I were OP I would not buy a bike without a plate. It could be stolen. At police checks you an easy prey, as you, additional to that, do not have an international driving licence for motor bikes, I guess. On the other hand you are not allowed with your visa to buy a bike officially.

I did my trip with an Honda Wave, why should it be unsafe? And i don't think the OP want to do the tour of Thailand in one week...a big bike means only less space for luggage, hence more unsafe and uncomfortable.

The OP is not allowed to buy a car with tourist visa but he is allowed to buy a motorbike in Thailand provided he has a house rent contract and a few other documents done, normally the shop helps with those documents. That's what i did 3 years ago with my Honda Click.

Hi all

- L

Go to www.gt-rider.com for all your info, im a member there and it's a great web site.

Cheers Mate

Thanks for your replies. I should probably add that I am 6 foot 3 tall, weigh roughly 100kgs and will be carrying an 18kg backpack on the bike too. At the moment I'm riding a fairly new 125cc Wave manual and it's fine for city but my arse gets sore after about an hour. This is why I want to get something a little bigger.

I will be riding on country roads. What is the likelihood of police pulling me over for no plates, and if they do, what kind of bribe should I expect to have to pay? (sorry, let's be real here)

Tomorrow I will go to the tourist police and ask what they think of the idea. Maybe they will have some advice for me.

Thanks for your replies. I should probably add that I am 6 foot 3 tall, weigh roughly 100kgs and will be carrying an 18kg backpack on the bike too. At the moment I'm riding a fairly new 125cc Wave manual and it's fine for city but my arse gets sore after about an hour. This is why I want to get something a little bigger.

I will be riding on country roads. What is the likelihood of police pulling me over for no plates, and if they do, what kind of bribe should I expect to have to pay? (sorry, let's be real here)

Tomorrow I will go to the tourist police and ask what they think of the idea. Maybe they will have some advice for me.

Hi Oz guy, You will have a great time biking around N. Thailand. Good roads and nice people and lots to see. GT-Rider has the best maps. My advice is to rent the size bike you need . You cannot legally buy or sell a bike in Thailand without a residents certificate from Immigration. Cost 500B each. A farange on a big bike with no plates is asking for trouble. Save yourself the worry

and trouble of a used bike. You don't wanna breakdown in the middle of nowhere. You have the money for a nice rental. Its bargin time for you so shop around, there are plenty of rental shops all around the moat. Save a trip to tourist police, nice people but no help there. If you rent take pictures of any defects, scratches, dents etc.on the bike so you get no extra charge

when you return it. Also make sure you are fully covered by insurance.

Enjoy !!

get a second hand Honda Phantom with a book for around the 35-40,000 baht. get it serviced, put a new chain and sprocket on it and you are ready to go. it's not the fastest of bikes but for comfort and reliability you cannot go wrong. I did a lot of Thailand when i first came here on one with the missus and all our luggage. It will sit at 90-100 KPH all day long, is comfortable and you can get parts and service everywhere you go. When you come to leave you will, if looked after, get what you paid for it. :D Thailand is a truly beautiful country to ride round. The trick to riding here is never be in a hurry to get anywhere. :)

I did my trip with an Honda Wave, why should it be unsafe? And i don't think the OP want to do the tour of Thailand in one week...a big bike means only less space for luggage, hence more unsafe and uncomfortable.

The OP is not allowed to buy a car with tourist visa but he is allowed to buy a motorbike in Thailand provided he has a house rent contract and a few other documents done, normally the shop helps with those documents. That's what i did 3 years ago with my Honda Click.

Which trip was that.I did also once a month long trip in the North with an AX 1.

A Honda Wave is more unsafe because it has much smaller tires, not so effective brakes, not so much acceleration, not so bright lights...Its a good bike to get to the supermarket, but definitely not build for touring. Check the motorbike magazines.

I have also a top Wave since years. My Steed had the big bike cases, which you can't fix on a Wave and a wind shield. And comparing the seats and the seating position to a Steed, man you can not be serious re comfort.

Edited by Birdman

Which trip was that.I did also once a month long trip in the North with an AX 1.

A Honda Wave is more unsafe because it has much smaller tires, not so effective brakes, not so much acceleration, not so bright lights...Its a good bike to get to the supermarket, but definitely not build for touring. Check the motorbike magazines.

I have also a top Wave since years. My Steed had the big bike cases, which you can't fix on a Wave and a wind shield. And comparing the seats and the seating position to a Steed, man you can not be serious re comfort.

The OP said, if i understood well, that he intends to make a tour of Thailand with a motorbike, right?

He said he has about 3 months available, right?

A tour of Thailand, even the most extended one, could be between 3.000 to 5.000km, right?

that makes about 30 to 50km/day, or considering he want to stop sometimes, let's say 70-80km/day, right?

Why on earth somebody needs a big bike and big costs to do that? I really would like to see where he put his 18kg bag on a big bike!

I did it on a similar condition Phuet-Koh Lanta (300km in 1 day, 2 people)) and no problems at all (tired at the end of course).

But are we talking of bikers or what?

Hi Oz guy, You will have a great time biking around N. Thailand. Good roads and nice people and lots to see. GT-Rider has the best maps. My advice is to rent the size bike you need . You cannot legally buy or sell a bike in Thailand without a residents certificate from Immigration. Cost 500B each. A farange on a big bike with no plates is asking for trouble. Save yourself the worry

and trouble of a used bike. You don't wanna breakdown in the middle of nowhere. You have the money for a nice rental. Its bargin time for you so shop around, there are plenty of rental shops all around the moat. Save a trip to tourist police, nice people but no help there. If you rent take pictures of any defects, scratches, dents etc.on the bike so you get no extra charge

when you return it. Also make sure you are fully covered by insurance.

Enjoy !!

I agree with cmdream, don't drive on any bike without a plate, you are only asking for trouble. Also no insurance is asking for trouble. Regarding which bike to buy/rent, well it is all down to taste, one guy drove from Pattaya to CM and back on a cheap Honda Dream and he had a very nice trip (see bike forum), but some wouldn't like to do it on such a small bike, including me because I also get a sore arse after 50 km :D . Some write it is dangerous on such a small bike, bullsh.t, on a Wave you can do app. 80 km pr hour which is OK and they have good brakes too (front disch), better than doing +160 on a big sports bike. One recommended the Honda Phantom which is properly a good choice and as he writes, they can be fixed all over Thailand and are cheap to run but I must admit that I never roded one myself but they look pretty comfy, well not compared to my Harley :) , but much much cheaper to run/purchase.

One way to get the residence certificate MAYBE is to rent a room/apartment for a month or so and then go to the immigration with you rental contract and try to get the certificate, but I am not sure it will work, in Pattaya I got the certificate on a tourist visa together with my house book.

Good luck.

Yeah, I did the Pattaya Chiang Mai trip on my mini beast Honda CZi 110. I made it all the way to Burma at the Mai Sai border crossing. On the return trip I did a 12 hour Iron Butt ride (What butt? 555) from Chiang Mai to BKK. Stupid but I just wanted to see if I could do it.

Going for the Isan tour next :)

The OP said, if i understood well, that he intends to make a tour of Thailand with a motorbike, right?

A tour of Thailand, even the most extended one, could be between 3.000 to 5.000km, right?

Say what?! I usually cover 3,000-5,000 km in a week.

that makes about 30 to 50km/day, or considering he want to stop sometimes, let's say 70-80km/day, right?

What?! Are you thinking maybe he's going to ride a bicycle? 200-500 km a day is more realistic.

Why on earth somebody needs a big bike and big costs to do that?

Big Bike rentals are CHEAP in Thailand. Long term rentals are even cheaper. Did you know you can rent a nearly new 650cc ER6n from Pops in Chiang Mai for only 800 Baht/day (long term rental). D-Trackers, KLX and Ninja 250R even cheaper.

I really would like to see where he put his 18kg bag on a big bike!

Piece of cake- Tank bag and or pillion bag. (Where do you put your luggage on a scooter?)

0309ER6Sm.jpg

I did it on a similar condition Phuet-Koh Lanta (300km in 1 day, 2 people)) and no problems at all (tired at the end of course).

A 'real' biker will take a real bike, a non biker (like you?) may take a scooter... :)

...Some write it is dangerous on such a small bike, bullsh.t, on a Wave you can do app. 80 km pr hour which is OK and they have good brakes too (front disch), better than doing +160 on a big sports bike...

Good luck.

Comparing safety aspects of bikes can only be done under the same conditions. Not with a 80 km speed difference, but with the same speed.

And you certainly do not mean, that a Wave has the same abilities like a big bike during an emergency braking or during quick overtaking or acceleration out of a dangerous situation. Good lights on completly dark roads are very important too. So are wide tires on slippery roads.

Why on earth somebody needs a big bike and big costs to do that? I really would like to see where he put his 18kg bag on a big bike!

Yes, he's planning to tour with a bike. Not with a scooter. Most likely he wants to stay in hotels not in a tent or roadside so 80km's per day you must be joking. 300km's is not one day ride, it's 3 hours. Make it 4 if you need to stop for lunch.

I heard of a guy who has gone to several Asian countries [Viet Nam, China that I know of]. He bought a brand new bike at the beginning of the trip, and when it was time to leave, he donated it to the local monks. There's a blog with some outstanding pictures of the coast road in Viet Nam, but I can't find it atm. He stays in guest houses and meets/interacts with the locals as much as possible. Seems like a really wonderful idea, and lets face it, 30K baht is not that much if it's going to a good cause. [Even less for him, he's a pom...]

[Comparing safety aspects of bikes can only be done under the same conditions. Not with a 80 km speed difference, but with the same speed.

And you certainly do not mean, that a Wave has the same abilities like a big bike during an emergency braking or during quick overtaking or acceleration out of a dangerous situation. Good lights on completly dark roads are very important too. So are wide tires on slippery roads.

I hear you Birdman, you can accelerate out of a dangerous situation on a powerful bike and it will also stop quicker from say 80 than a Wave. Not sure about wider tires, never had problems on my Wave in heavy rain, but then again I adjust my speed to the situation/bike. What I mean is that if you go on a long trip on a Wave, you will stay in the left side of the road 99% of the time together with the rest of local Thai riders and not end in a bad situation as I see MANY tourist here in Pattaya do, because of lack/none skills on sports bikes. If you drive a powerful bike how often do you ride a 80 km pr hour on the highway? Our young Aussie friend don't say how much experience he has, so i just try to advise that in many cases you are as safe on a Wave as on a bigger bike because of the human factor.

I must admit that I fell safer on my Harley that on the Wave, but don't mind long trips on small bikes if it wasn't for the comfort factor (read sore arse) :D .

I NEVER ride on dark roads here, it is way too dangerous around Pattaya due to pot holes and armed biker gangs :) and that cocktail can be deadly if you suddenly has to go fast to avoid same.

Yes, he's planning to tour with a bike. Not with a scooter. Most likely he wants to stay in hotels not in a tent or roadside so 80km's per day you must be joking. 300km's is not one day ride, it's 3 hours. Make it 4 if you need to stop for lunch.

Oh no, a tent on the side of the road is more my style. :D

I'm a stingy backpacker so the cheaper the better. I'm an avid hiker & camper so I don't mind roughing it, especially if I find a beautiful little spot on the top of a mountain with a view and out of people's way.

I'm a photographer so this kind of thing will suit me to the bone.

Our young Aussie friend don't say how much experience he has, so i just try to advise that in many cases you are as safe on a Wave as on a bigger bike because of the human factor.

I must admit that I fell safer on my Harley that on the Wave, but don't mind long trips on small bikes if it wasn't for the comfort factor (read sore arse) :D .

I NEVER ride on dark roads here, it is way too dangerous around Pattaya due to pot holes and armed biker gangs :) and that cocktail can be deadly if you suddenly has to go fast to avoid same.

Perhaps a rather important omission. I am by all means and purposes a beginner. I have been riding bikes for about a month now, that's all. I did, however, grow up on a farm and spent years riding bikes offroad as a child. Just never road bikes.

I have found a Phantom 200cc for 35,000B with plates and papers. It's owned by a policeman who is happy to keep it in his name to avoid complications. The Phantom is a small 'big bike' which is common and inexpensive.

If I buy this and ride it around Thailand then there's a good chance I'll want to do the surrounding countries as well. My research tells me that if a bike is registered to a Thai then it's easier to get accross borders but I need to get more details about this obviously. Maybe Laos or Vietnam.

Otherwise, I could tour on this bike for a couple of months and then sell it again. How hard is it to sell a Phantom?

Thanks for all your replies!

Oh, I should also say that the objective is not to go as far as I can in the shortest time possible. I'm happy cruising along at 80ks!

The objective is to see this country and hopefully the surrounding ones too. Don't worry about how long my visa lasts for. I can get more easily, if needed.

It isn't the size of the bike that counts it is the size of the man on it.

I rode an Indian Mini Bullet from India to Europe and around Europe someyears ago two up with my daughter and heaps of luggage. The bike was a 200cc two stroke ideal for the journey.

Thailand has a hotel every few kilometers and the towns that are interesting to tourists are usually only150km apart. With a small bike breakdowns are not a problem. In the smallest place someone will get you going. With a large bike you are there for the duration. I remember in Iran there were 4 BMW bikes that I heard of stranded waiting for parts to arrive. Mine could be fixed with a hammer and chisel.

There is another important advantage to a small bike too. If you ever have a reason to travel a long distance quickely you can allways put a small bike on many busses or send it by post or go by train. To those who say rent remember if anything happens to te bike yo will have to pay te new price. With your own you can buy a honda dream for 40000 and sell it for 30000 quickly.