Buddhist Monk Shot Dead In Yala

camerata

Buddhist monk shot dead, another severely injured while collecting alms in Yala

Yala - A Buddhist monk was shot dead and another severely injured while they were collecting alms here Friday morning.

Police said a pillion rider armed with AK-47 assault rifle fired at the two monks while they were collecting alms in Ban Klong Sai Nai in Tambon Talupoh in Muang district at 6:15 am.

Phra Sombat Srisuwan, 60, died at the scene. Phra Thawatchai Chaiman, 24, was injured.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 12/6/2009

According to Reuters: "Monday's attack raised tensions between Muslims and the region's minority Buddhists and villagers have accused the military of involvement, saying no Muslim was capable of such an act."

it will never end, won't it? sometimes I just think that we should give them (some minority of the muslim) the independency that they have claimed they wanted. And see how long they would last as an independent state.

• 1 month later...
sometimes I just think that we should give them (some minority of the muslim) the independency that they have claimed they wanted. And see how long they would last as an independent state.

While I understand this sentiment, if you give an inch...

Many countries were divided up as spoils to the victors after the Second World War...which took no account of ethnic groups etc.

Most of Burma's troubles stem from the British rule and the casual way they gave it back.

The South of Thailand was not originally a part of it either.

My Buddhist friends daughter travels to school on a bus with armed soldiers for protection in Yala...Lovely people,those extremists.I would like to add that she has some lovely muslim friends,with kind,caring muslim parents.

You can't found a state based on cowardice. Shooting an unarmed monk is about as cowardly as it gets.

I'm not necessarily in favour of an independant state, but how can you blame a people on the acts of an individual?

that's the arguement the terrorists use

i'n not suggesting you're a terrorist but it's an arguement used by them to continue their terror attacks

it must be ccepted that the famillies of the terrorists are in the know & choose to turn a blind eye as it's their relatives..i also believe this extends to their friends, they play innocent afterwards but they have to be aware of what's going on & what type of people they are friends with

i say ban it as a religeon & any terrorists should be subjected to the old thai law where they & 7 generations of their familly are executed...that would be a deterrent & reduce the numbers getting involved

I'm not necessarily in favour of an independant state, but how can you blame a people on the acts of an individual?

That's actually a big topic, and not unlike one of the arguments about terrorism/Islam worldwide.

A couple of years ago I was invited to a rather large Pakistani/Muslim party in Washington, D.C. Very nice and I was treated so very well. But in discussions they kept repeating two themes. First, 9/11 was a Jewish plot. Second, mainstream Muslims do not believe in terrorism, so they can't be held responsible in any way.

I decided not to argue the 9/11 point. It's so firm in their minds that was useless.

But if I asked, "Well, do any of you in any way speak out against Islamic terrorism?" The answer was quite commonly, "We don't believe we should speak against another Muslim." I would say that would be a sin of omission.

sometimes I just think that we should give them (some minority of the muslim) the independency that they have claimed they wanted. And see how long they would last as an independent state.

I agree with you from two perspectives.

First, so you give them Yala, Panttani, and Narithawat. Satun is 66% Muslim, at least according to the Muslims.

Second, they are learning that with enough murder and unrest, Buddhists begin to move out, hence the declining Buddhist populations in the three southernmost provinces. So why not follow that pattern in Songkhla, where the Muslim population approaches 40%.

And even further along these lines, how many countries would begin to disintegrate if ethnicity is the only basis of a country's borders? Sticking with Thailand, what percentage of the people in Issan are actually of Lao or Khmer heritage?

I agree with you from two perspectives.

First, so you give them Yala, Panttani, and Narithawat. Satun is 66% Muslim, at least according to the Muslims.

Second, they are learning that with enough murder and unrest, Buddhists begin to move out, hence the declining Buddhist populations in the three southernmost provinces. So why not follow that pattern in Songkhla, where the Muslim population approaches 40%.

And even further along these lines, how many countries would begin to disintegrate if ethnicity is the only basis of a country's borders? Sticking with Thailand, what percentage of the people in Issan are actually of Lao or Khmer heritage?

Very thoughtful post,i agree there is no painless solution to the Southern unrest,but isn't Buddhism preaching the "Middle Path" ?

I hope,if given enough time and stability,the current Govt. can tackle this ongoing war.Well,give them an inch,and see if it works!

Violence is never a solution for violence.

meh, what happens in the south is just minor problem. been happening even since before I was born. I was just thinking out loud of how much ignorance can bother me.

Let's just look at what going on down there. Have they been prohibited from practicing their faith? no. Would there be any ethnic or religious conflict? yes definitely. but that can even happen in any suituation. anyone who had a fight with their own brothers/sisters would probably understand, if they stopped and thought about it. The difference is the reason people use to justify the conflict.

Best way, though to end all this, is bringing in the prosperity to the region. Once they are better off with enough jobs and income, there would be no reason to struggle. But how can that be done when other regions are suffering just the same? And have I mentioned the corruption?

meh, what happens in the south is just minor problem. been happening even since before I was born. I was just thinking out loud of how much ignorance can bother me.

A minor problem? Well over 3,000 deaths, including numerous beheadings. And how do you know it will not spill over more seriously into Songkhla Province? How do you know there won't be terrorist attacks in Bangkok or Chiang Mai? How many Budddhists need to leave the region before it's "serious"? I recall ten years ago traveling as a tourist to Yala, Narithawat, and Pattani and not thinking twice about it. How many tourists go there now? And what effect is that having on the south's economy? Your thinking is exactly part of the problem. It's the "it's nothing new" thinking that has resulted in no real effort to resolve the issues. I suggest you look a little further at the problems in Aceh, for example, or Sri Lanka, to see just how nasty these situations can become.

Let's just look at what going on down there. Have they been prohibited from practicing their faith? no. Would there be any ethnic or religious conflict? yes definitely. but that can even happen in any suituation. anyone who had a fight with their own brothers/sisters would probably understand, if they stopped and thought about it. The difference is the reason people use to justify the conflict.

Here I agree with you. BUT, situations are not so much about what is real as what is perceived to be real. I disagree with the Thai Muslims who believe they are so poor. No poorer than the Buddhists in Issan, for the most part.

Best way, though to end all this, is bringing in the prosperity to the region.

Now you're just spouting what the government says. It has gone so much deeper than that since the deaths in the trucks. It's now revenge and religious. A dangerous mix. You'd better look around at Islamic unrest even in Islamic nations.

Once they are better off with enough jobs and income, there would be no reason to struggle. But how can that be done when other regions are suffering just the same? And have I mentioned the corruption?

Just a question for our kind moderator,is it correct to discuss politics in the Buddhism Forum?My concern,as i find this area of TV almost blissful,is that a political debate could lead to heated arguments.This is not to criticize anyone,i find the discussion interesting btw.(and i don't mind heated arguments too) :)

A minor problem? Well over 3,000 deaths, including numerous beheadings. And how do you know it will not spill over more seriously into Songkhla Province? How do you know there won't be terrorist attacks in Bangkok or Chiang Mai? How many Budddhists need to leave the region before it's "serious"? I recall ten years ago traveling as a tourist to Yala, Narithawat, and Pattani and not thinking twice about it. How many tourists go there now? And what effect is that having on the south's economy? Your thinking is exactly part of the problem. It's the "it's nothing new" thinking that has resulted in no real effort to resolve the issues. I suggest you look a little further at the problems in Aceh, for example, or Sri Lanka, to see just how nasty these situations can become.

Should I throw in the 'ไม่เป็นไร' mentality in as well? When one grew up in Thailand, death does not seem to be a big problem. I would have been dead too if I was in Thailand in May 1992. Not that I am trying to justify that it is okay.

Would be unfair to compare other conflicts to this one though. Each would cause by different combination of reasons. Most conflicts started off with minority. If the people in charge did not take enough action to end the conflict in the fair manner, it always results in escalation. when I said ignorance I did not direct to one particular group. Education would be the best cure for that, be it propaganda or facts.

Thailand has been through a number of difficult times. it always find ways to get itself through all of them. the one I could remember in my childhood was the fight against communism. Back then the measure was nationalist propaganda and the use of force. I was taught that communism was bad. Now I believe that it is just another form of ruling governments. But who know whether Thailand gonna turned into another killing field if communism crept in.

of course, a good strategy (for the insurgents) would be spreading the terrorist activities in different regions. now knowing that is a good start for the people who has been put in charge to put the necessary measures to make sure that the chance of it happening is minimised.

Here I agree with you. BUT, situations are not so much about what is real as what is perceived to be real. I disagree with the Thai Muslims who believe they are so poor. No poorer than the Buddhists in Issan, for the most part.

you have just confirmed that they have a lot to do with ignorance. but come from both ends though. had there been the 'buddhist' Thai who abuse their power? I would definitely bet on the 'yes'.

Now you're just spouting what the government says. It has gone so much deeper than that since the deaths in the trucks. It's now revenge and religious. A dangerous mix. You'd better look around at Islamic unrest even in Islamic nations.

only if the government had done so. but properity does not necessarily mean economy. It could mean artistic or educational. Lets face it, majority of muslims down south suffer the same fate as the buddhists. They all have to live in fear because of the minority. I cannot see that the insurgents' actions would bring them whatever they want.

What I was saying was based on this expert on post-war conflict (on ted.com). bring in security. establish the infrastructures. and what he said that really got my attention was ... create jobs for young men. Now that's news to me.

Is independency the answer to the this? Would there be a movement for having the region rejoining Malaysia afterward? whether that would be a bloody movement or not is another story.

Don't think we are gonna solve any problem here though. All we are doing is just venting out our frustration.

Just a question for our kind moderator,is it correct to discuss politics in the Buddhism Forum?My concern,as i find this area of TV almost blissful,is that a political debate could lead to heated arguments.This is not to criticize anyone,i find the discussion interesting btw.(and i don't mind heated arguments too) :)

I think the subject is OK as long as it relates to some aspect of Buddhism rather than just the political conflict. The conflict isn't primarily a religious one, it's a separatist movement based on ethnicity, language and religion. Buddhists are being killed partly as a means of ethnic cleansing and partly to make the area ungovernable by the state. The targeting of Buddhist monks seems to be a terror tactic designed to set ordinary Buddhists against ordinary Muslims and take the conflict beyond extremists versus the state. Or perhaps because abbots receive a stipend from the state, the extremists see them as a symbol of the state (like teachers).

..and if the Southern provinces were handed over, would the remaining Buddhist population have their lives made intolerable....leading to a mass exodus like we saw at the creation of independant India and Pakistan...

I'm not supporting a separatist policy too,but it seems(i could be wrong)that these once independent provinces had been exploited and neglected in the recent times.

Hence the necessity of a clear change of policy for the sake of National unity.

The big hurdle in the reconciliation process seems to be paradoxically a lack of identity and charismatic leaders in the rebel front,again there should be an effort from the powers that be to promote education first,to instill the concept of a democratic debate apt to set the differences in a peaceful way.

IMO it will take a lot of time to get some result,but it is worth to start a project which will give some result in the future.

Another option to ease the situation could be send more soldiers of Muslim Religion,which could be less likely to abuse their powers,and start some infrastructure project to provide more jobs for the youth.

The present situation is unsustainable,something must be done,and quickly.