Avast Or Mcafee Anti Virus

stats

Dear All

i am really confuse about The Anti Avirus of Avast and Mcafee....which is better people have been saying that the Avast is totally 100% free to dowmload and free for update?

I am currently using the Mcafee version 8.0 and i will have to purchased the latest update....

If i download the Avast ANti Virus will it have a function of Not to auto Update ??coz im using the GPRS on Notbook...IT will be very Slow Download everytime if it auto updates by it self....

And will my Current Mcafee Anti Virus be De-activated if i inted to use the Avast Anti Virus on my system >>???

Thanx ,

TYTUS

Hi,

First, it's not a good idea to install 2 (or more) antivirus programs on your computer, they can interact quite badly.

So if you chose to go for a free one (avast, avg, etc), you should uninstall McAfee before.

I would say all antivirus have quite the same efficiency, so i won't recommand one (but i always prefer something free :o ).

And this efficiency greatly depends on the virus definition, that you should update at least every week.

The autoupdate can be deactivated (then you will have to think to update it manually) or set to run if your virus definition is more than x days old.

I used McAfee "home version" (whatever it was called) last year and was happy with it. When it expired all I could find was McAfee enterprise version 9 blablabla which has now made McAfee as crap as Norton Antivirus became last year. Big, bloated, bulky, wants to be the most important thing on my PC.

I just need <deleted> antivirus, what's the best, simple (preferably free) option?

Personally i use AVG which is free for home edition.

Works fine for me, easy to install, setup and update, doesn't use too much CPU/Memory, and is only an antivirus !!!

And Kerio Personal Firewall (free in the limited edition, which is OK for me) interacts well with it (they are sold as a package for company).

But if you are not connected 24/7, the firewall is not as essential as the antivirus.

Anyway I won't take any responsability if your computer gets infected :o

And don't forget, the best antivirus is your brain (do not open attachments received from unknown people, etc.)

Edited by yeti

i've been using avast fior 3-4 yearsnow and i swear by it, its free and you get regular program updates. what i like also that it updates sometimes 3-4 times per week, so must be very current :o

i had mcfee on my new laptop, but could not wait to uninstall it and get my trusted avast :D

it's an eastern europe company and that's were most of the virusses come from so they must know a thing or two :D

Biggest advantage of Avast is the fact that the database updates are very small, so they'll take less then a minute even on gprs to download.

There are regular program updates as well which obviously are bigger downloads, but you can configure Avast so it will ask you if you want to update the program or not...

In short, Avast is very easy to keep updated, even on dial up or GPRS.

AVG works well also, but the updates are big, just the virus database is at least 2.5 Mb each and every time it updates!!!

I can’t comment on Avast as I have never tried it.

I’ve used Mcafee and Norton in the past but have settled on a combination of AVG 7.0 (free) plus ZoneAlarm security suite with anti virus ver 5.5 running at the same time. I can chose when I want to update both of these programs.

I’m unsure why Yeti suggested not running 2 anti virus programs at once. I know Norton and Mcafee will not run at the same time.

AVG allows me to run either Norton or Mcafee at the same time without clashes.

AVG impresses me more than the pay to use programs. I’ve lost count of the number of times AVG has informed me of a virus being blocked or when it has found a virus and is holding it in quarantine. The pay to use programs Norton or Mcafee were running at the same time and didn’t pick them up.

Edited to add more info. I find the updates on AVG aren't as big as previously mentioned. If downloaded every few days the files are on average 60 or 70k. Occasionally a larger update appears but that seems to be when a few new viruses appear on the net at once.

I hope I haven’t confused the situation for you. :o

NL

Edited by NarrLing

I just ditched Norton (it had become more trouble than it was worth) and installed Avast. So for quite impressed - it picKed up a bunch of dodgy exe files that Norton somehow missed, and the definition updates are relatively tiny (downloading over GPRS was no hassle).

So far, very happy.

Pitt Norton became such a pain in the arse (four clicks to ackno ledge and deal with a single email virus?)

well that means i need to totally uninstall the Mcafee first then go on with installing Avast ???

1)does the avast AV have the on access scan just like Mcafee???coz this will detect any virus on the website i enter...

the avast site shows...Which one to download??

Download pages of the individual products:

avast! 4 Professional Edition Download

avast! 4 Home Edition FREE Download

avast! 4 Server/SBS Edition Download

avast! for Linux Download

avast! BART CD Download

avast! for Kerio Download

avast! PDA Edition Download

avast! Virus Cleaner FREE Download

AVAST32 3.0 Download

Documentation

Avast! 7.7 for DOS

avast! uninstall utility

im using Windows XP Pro..and i need to know which is the on that i shoud install...

I installed AVG already and it scored immediately; a Java virus had sneaked under McAfee (corporate my butt) - qle.exe aka downloader.inservice.M. AVG both identified and isolated it, though I still don't know what it's supposed to do of bad stuff, Google doesn't come up with any references explaining the details of it.

cool guys....Well ive installed the Avast Home edition it works well but the only problem is that my outlook mail says ,,,,

The add in c:/programs\network assoiciates\virusscan\scanemal.dll could not be installed or loaded.This problem may be resolved by using detect and repair on the help menu....

I was previsously using mcafee for any incoming mail on the outlook but now it cant detect Avast AV for any virus detection....

can any1 tell me how to set it up please...

trhanx

Tytus