What Went Wrong In Phuket?

yayapapaya

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you live here for a decade or so, pay your taxes here (to a very uneven level to Thais), have a home, have a family, etc.. Your not a guest.

Demanding fair treatment, equality under law, protection from persecution, and other sensible issues are fair demands.

I would disagree with your view on being a guest. If you choose to live in a country where you don't have the automatic right to live, I would say you are a guest, albeit long-term. That was what I meant.

As to your second point, I agree wholeheartedly. What I was saying was that taking the overall package, I would rather live in Phuket than anywhere else. I would guess you feel the same, otherwise you wouldn't be there. As my original post said, I am fed up with the one-eyed Phuket bashing that seems to be going on, not the balanced views that criticise certain parts of the lifestyle.

When you live here for a decade or so, pay your taxes here (to a very uneven level to Thais), have a home, have a family, etc.. Your not a guest.

Demanding fair treatment, equality under law, protection from persecution, and other sensible issues are fair demands.

I would disagree with your view on being a guest. If you choose to live in a country where you don't have the automatic right to live, I would say you are a guest, albeit long-term. That was what I meant.

As to your second point, I agree wholeheartedly. What I was saying was that taking the overall package, I would rather live in Phuket than anywhere else. I would guess you feel the same, otherwise you wouldn't be there. As my original post said, I am fed up with the one-eyed Phuket bashing that seems to be going on, not the balanced views that criticise certain parts of the lifestyle.

Well I guess it is dependant on if you see yourself as having a 'home' place..

I was born in one country and left it months later.. Lived in another until 4.. Another from 4 until late teens moving around every few years.. Plus maybe 2 years in arab north africa spread in that.. Since leaving home for the last 15 years I have lived in 3 Euro countries, the states, spent large portions of time in N Africa.. And now 8 or so in Thailand, I have lived longer on Phuket than any other single place in my entire life.. I hold a passport of one country with rights to 2 others (with some work these days on the oz one, that is no longer defacto hereditary). So wheres 'home' ?? Where am I not a guest ??

Home to me is where I live, where I have 'automatic right to live' depends on the immigration rules of where I currently am and would include all of Europe in places I have never spent more than a holiday.. If I had spent as long in many countries as I have in Thailand I would now be a citizen with the passport etc. That is not a guest, the only reason I am still 'a guest' in your terms is Thailand has fairly xenophobic rules about becoming naturalized. If a Thai was in europe as long as I have been in Thailand they would not be a guest would they ?? They would be a citizen !!

I find most of the people who trot out the 'just a guest' kind of lines, lived in the country of their birth most of their lives and see it as a place they have connection to or can return to. While that may be your view, its not mine.

There is more to Phuket than Patong.

The Laguna nightclub/disco in Rawaii has droped beer prices to 50-- for any beer at night, place is packed.

Shhhhhhhh...........bubblegum.

Lets let everyone continue to think that Rawai is "God's waiting room" for all the old guys, that it's "low class", that it's not where we would want to have the annual BBQ, and lets keep this place to ourselves.

No need to let the cat out of the bag...........

There is more to Phuket than Patong.

The Laguna nightclub/disco in Rawaii has droped beer prices to 50-- for any beer at night, place is packed.

Shhhhhhhh...........bubblegum.

Lets let everyone continue to think that Rawai is "God's waiting room" for all the old guys, that it's "low class", that it's not where we would want to have the annual BBQ, and lets keep this place to ourselves.

No need to let the cat out of the bag...........

Absolutely Huggybear.

And in Kangoroo bar in the midlle of Bangla all beer are still only 70 baht. :)

Well I guess it is dependant on if you see yourself as having a 'home' place..

I was born in one country and left it months later.. Lived in another until 4.. Another from 4 until late teens moving around every few years.. Plus maybe 2 years in arab north africa spread in that.. Since leaving home for the last 15 years I have lived in 3 Euro countries, the states, spent large portions of time in N Africa.. And now 8 or so in Thailand, I have lived longer on Phuket than any other single place in my entire life.. I hold a passport of one country with rights to 2 others (with some work these days on the oz one, that is no longer defacto hereditary). So wheres 'home' ?? Where am I not a guest ??

Home to me is where I live, where I have 'automatic right to live' depends on the immigration rules of where I currently am and would include all of Europe in places I have never spent more than a holiday.. If I had spent as long in many countries as I have in Thailand I would now be a citizen with the passport etc. That is not a guest, the only reason I am still 'a guest' in your terms is Thailand has fairly xenophobic rules about becoming naturalized. If a Thai was in europe as long as I have been in Thailand they would not be a guest would they ?? They would be a citizen !!

I find most of the people who trot out the 'just a guest' kind of lines, lived in the country of their birth most of their lives and see it as a place they have connection to or can return to. While that may be your view, its not mine.

I suppose I would say that I was a guest in any country from which I could be deported; i.e. anywhere where my continued stay wasn't contingent on someone else's permission. If someone has to give you permission to stay, are you not a guest? (I'm not playing with semantics here, it's just my take on it).

As for a Thai being naturalised in Europe - no, even with indefinite leave to remain they can be deported. Also, look at Mohammed Al Fayed - his children are British subjects, he pays UK taxes, lives in London, but he has been repeatedly been refused a British passport.

Finally, I understand your point about people living in the country of their birth, but have found quite the opposite. In my experience, it is generally those who have been more geographically mobile who have a greater appreciation for different places and cultures, and aren't arrogant enough to believe that wherever they lay their hat is their home by right.

• 2 weeks later...
I feel really sorry for people that have wasted money on a business and will never get their initial outlay back...let alone a profit..........whats the going rate for a bar in Soi Eric...5 year lease, 3mil key money and 35k a month......how can a profit be made from that kind of outlay....still if it keeps someones x bar girl missus happy, suppose that is what counts

Yep i know a couple of guys who are stuck with bars in Soi Eric who desperately want to get out but have bar girl gf's or wives who want to stay.

There's a sucker born every day

Another for a decline in numbers to Phuket is the sky rocketing rate of crime and violence that is getting worse and worse

why you so sad you have to pretend to are my mate dawsey from another b'oard , flecking child!

• 4 weeks later...

Rawai also has Justins Bar an expat hang out with 40THB Beer and a great Bar AJ's Bar & Bistro right on the Beach front with 50THB Beer and 90BHT Spirit & Mixer one of the best views on Phuket and great home made Burgers & Fish & Chips Lamb Chops etc etc . Of course the clientele is over 80 with piped James Last music (only Joking) . Patong can keep its lower class Bar Fly's wide boys and Blackpool image I love the southern tip a great place to live and with the addition of a Tesco Metro and the Great New Vill :) as Expat Supermarket who needs to go near Phuket Town or Pong no Touts Tailors Tuk Tuks just a great place to live.

Rawai also has Justins Bar an expat hang out with 40THB Beer and a great Bar AJ's Bar & Bistro right on the Beach front with 50THB Beer and 90BHT Spirit & Mixer one of the best views on Phuket and great home made Burgers & Fish & Chips Lamb Chops etc etc . Of course the clientele is over 80 with piped James Last music (only Joking) . Patong can keep its lower class Bar Fly's wide boys and Blackpool image I love the southern tip a great place to live and with the addition of a Tesco Metro and the Great New Vill :) as Expat Supermarket who needs to go near Phuket Town or Pong no Touts Tailors Tuk Tuks just a great place to live.

Give it another couple of years, as the place gets more popular, because expats go on the internet and promote it :D , the tuk-tuks and touts will follow...

I made a rare foray into Patong last Saturday night as GF had some country cousins visiting. Bangla looked reasonably full with mainly couples walking about but looking deeper into the bars they were not doing much business. Went to Taipan to check out the live music which was pretty good & stayed on afterwards when the DJ came on. At around 2am the place was almost full.

Living in Chalong I am happy about the increasing variety of restaurants, bars & shopping venues in the southern area although bars do not generally interest me as much as they did many moons ago.