A Follow Up To My Freezing Problems

Jockstar

I have been on the net all day trying to find drivers and answers to my problem.. So if any one can help. Thanks in advance..

Ok i'm getting a new Pc soon but for now i want to sort out this problem.

I start my Pc and things are ok. Then when my screensaver comes up i get these messages in boxes.

The service database is locked

Cant start Kernel mode Driver service

Loading Kernel DLL(EIO.dill).Fails! Program aborts.

I fullishly tried to play Half Life 2 on my pc.

Windows XP pro

PC specs. Pentium 3

256 MB Ram

40 GB HD

So before i realised that my pc wasn't up to it. I deleted files from pc that i didnt use. (i bought it 2nd hand)

I think i must have deleted files connected with the driver.

So my question is . How can i get the driver to work ok? I can get on the net and very very rarely my pc freezes, But when i try to do things off line . Like a virus scan my pc freezes up. I even was doing a document on word and it froze. So if you understand all that. Can you give me any advice? Thanks.

Edited by Jockstar

This may sound foolish but why not turn your screensaver off? It is not needed and if computer works fine until it runs, why run it?

When you get the new unit reformat and re install operating system on the old one and hope for the best would be what I would do.

This may sound foolish but why not turn your screensaver off?  It is not needed and if computer works fine until it runs, why run it?

When you get the new unit reformat and re install operating system on the old one and hope for the best would be what I would do.

Even with screensaver off it still does it. Have been on other forums and it was suggested that maybe its Asus smart doctor program. But it still done this before i installed the SD program. Pain in the ass. Ah! Only 12 says till i get my new PC built. Any more ideas?

You might try using XP's system restore to go back in time to a restore piont before you installed Half Life or to a point before you tried to paly it and you computer was working. Might fix the problem and it might not, depends on what you have deleted.

You might try using XP's system restore to go back in time to a restore point before you installed Half Life or to a point before you tried to play it and you computer was working.  Might fix the problem and it might not, depends on what you have deleted.

Before trying the above, can you see any files in your recycle bin? Try restoring any that look important (.exe, .dll, any from 'windows' folders). Or try restoring them all! Then reboot.

The problem you have described seems to be more resource related than driver related, and could also be related with either your video/sound card. Basically you are trying to run more operations than your computer can cope with, one extra, be it autosave in Word, screensaver or virus scan is sending it over the top. I am sure you will have the same problem with defrag or copying large files from one location to another.

It's a particular problem with xp which singularly is using virtually all of your resources. 256mb is the minimum requirement for xp. And that is without running any anti-virus software, applications, office suites or games.

I have been on the net all day trying to find drivers and answers to my problem.. So if any one can help. Thanks in advance..

Ok i'm getting a new Pc soon but for now i want to sort out this problem.

I start my Pc and things are ok. Then when my screensaver comes up i get these messages in boxes.

The service database is locked

Cant start Kernel mode Driver service

Loading Kernel DLL(EIO.dill).Fails! Program aborts.

Google up eio.dll and you'll get a whole load of sites mentioning this. Looks like a common problem, something to do with Asus.

Happy browsing!

you need to do the "pantip fix" - a clean fresh reinstal of windows (which is the only solution any pantip shop ever seems to offer)

Normally I hate reinstalling as porblems are usually fixable, but in your case it seems buggered sufficiently to warrant it.

I can do a full re-format and re-install of windows and programs I use in about 3 and a half hours. If you are a bit shakey with it, maybe half a day, or better still, just get a friend to do it for you. So at the end of the day it takes less time than making posts, changing drivers etc... Makes sense.

Make sure you note the exact makes, and driver signatures of your hardware if you do not have the original driver installation discs.