Pumpkin And Squash?

kamp

If there is a Doi Kham shop (Royal Projects), try there. In the BKK shops, I've occasionally found butternut squash. Also recently fresh figs & Mexican type mangos. Good place to check out for new veggies as they seem to test out stuff here first. Even fresh jalapenos are available.

Whitch types of pumpkin and squash can I buy in Thailand?

I realy love butternut squash, is it possible to get it in Chiang Mai?

:)

I've seen butternut squash or even small acorn squash occasionally in markets catering to foriegners in Bangkok. It's not what I would call popular in Thailand. That's a shame, because baked squash is good tasting and healthy. It could easily be baked in a oven, or even a toster oven (for small squash). I like to bake pieces of squash in the oven on a flat metal cookie baking sheet with just a little brown sugar sprinkled on the squash pieces for sweetness. The sugar melts and gives the squash a nice glase.

About 2 years ago my Thai girlfriend ordered a dish that I had never seen before at a Thai restaurant in Bangkok. It turned out to be a vegatable soup with stewed pieces of young (green) Pumpkin in it. It was very good. I was told it is a Thai staple, but not that common any longer as it is considered "old-fashioned" and "up-country food". So pumpkin must be available in Thailand if you look for it.

:D

• 4 weeks later...
Whitch types of pumpkin and squash can I buy in Thailand?

I realy love butternut squash, is it possible to get it in Chiang Mai?

A very common type of squash found in Thailand is called fak tawg. It's also commonly translated as pumpkin. It's available at almost all green markets such as the Klong Toey market in Bangkok. Many supermarkets will have it too. It's used in curries such as gaeng kua fak tawg and soups. Sometimes it's cooked then stir-fried with curry sauce and is also sometimes filled with a custard and served as a dessert. In thai script it is spelled ฟักทอง .

post-23727-1248073883_thumb.jpg

post-23727-1248073892.jpg

post-23727-1248074076_thumb.jpg

A very common type of squash found in Thailand is called fak tawg. It's also commonly translated as pumpkin.
... I had some this morning, if well washed you can eat the cooked squash/pumpkin complete with skin too, but I prefer it in a curry.