Uk Visit Visa

Hi,

I would like to apply for a 1 month visit visa for my thai g/f, we've know each other for nearly 2 years and can provide evidence of the past 18months, phone records, numerous trips to Thailand (7* 3-4 week holidays), some photos etc etc. I live in England but back in Chiang Mai next week, any suggestions of things we need to do while I'm in Thailand, any paperwork etc, can the application be completed by myself from England??

Not expecting visa to be easy, she doesnt have a job, reason to return could be a problem, is it worth using an agent?? any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jay

The first thing to get straight is that you don't apply for a visa your girlfriend does, it's her visa and her application.

You have highlighted the biggest hurdle in her application, as she doesn't have a job what is the reason to return and how does she manage to live. Whilst it's good that you can show evidence of your relationship, you not only need to show the evidence of two way contact but provide a sponsorship letter, I presume you are sponsoring her, which will outline how you met, the reasons for the trip and both of your plans for the future as well as the reason for the trip and as many details as you can provide. Unfortunately with no provable reasons to return your relationship could act against her being granted her visa as an ECO could assume that because of your relationship she wants to stay in the UK. If she doesn't work how does she live, does she go to school or Uni? if so provide proof, does she have land or property? if so provide proof.

Back to your question, what do you need to do? well if you are sponsoring her you need to show evidence that you can afford to do so, details of your employment with recent payslips and they ask for six months worth of original bank statements, doesn't need to show a fortune just that you can afford to sponsor her. You will need to address where she is going to stay and provide proof that it's available to her.

Your other question is should she use an agent, this is a matter of choice, if you both feel unable to complete a pretty simple form and supplying the supporting evidence after reading the guidance from UK Visas and previous threads on this forum then by all means use an agent. If you really do not feel confident then use an agent but be careful who you chose, there are many cowboys out there all promising the earth but you have to remember that that whilst they may be experienced in filling out forms they have no sway in the decision making process. Some will say that that they will coach the applicant with the interview process, but the vast majority of applications are dealt with on the application alone so an interview is rarely called for. I personally wouldn't waste money on an agent but if she feels she must use on use one that has been registered with OISC, Office of Immigration Commissioner.

You need to be aware that whilst applications used to take three to five days, the VFS website is now advising the process is taking four to six weeks even for straight forward visitors visas.

What ever you decide to do good luck and all the best for the future.

Thanks Oldgit. Regarding sponsorship I dont foresee too much of a problem, I'm 32 (she's 24) just finished uni but have worked for the probation service a few years, accomodation is ok, and consistently kept reasonable money in the bank.

Her employment status is the biggest problem, no job / land or property in her name, I understand the ECO concerns re overstay but we really wouldnt risk doing anything which would jeopardise future visas. Is it worth applying in the present situation or would it be an immediate refusal??

I really don't want to put a damper on your plans but unless she can convince the ECO of her intentions to return I think she would be wasting her time and money.

The ECO's have to make their decision on the evidence that is supplied which is normally job, uni land or the the like, saying that she realises the consequences of failing to return is fair enough but the ECO's are only human and they have make their decisions on evidence not promises.

Don't just listen to me there will be plenty of advice coming soon, but I am just trying to temper your expectations.