I Envy You Guys Up There

Somtamnication

Been in Phuket for 8 years. Tired of the surly attitudes of the locals here. I love this country and all its warts but I gotta get outta Phuket or I will start to hate it too much.

I have friends who just moved up there from here and they love it. Friendlier locals, and just a nicer city to live in.

So, anyways, just wanted to let you know how lucky you are.

There are several threads on thaivisa comparing Phuket with various other Thai locations. It all depends on what a person wants. There seemed to be just as many for Phuket as against it. But yes, Chiang Mai IS a lovely city with much to offer a farang.

I guess the comment that gets my attention the most, from conversations with others who have lived or visited CM, is the attitude of the locals, both towards each other and to falangs.

Besides a cooler temperature (better for my 3 year old who gets heat bumps), nicer area (mountains), cheaper housing, etc. etc..., any negatives or comparisons that made you either stay or leave CM?

Spent one month in Phuket and didn't enjoy it. . . . .

I went there for a few days vacation with my wife and we wished we never left Krabi...

I've visited Phuket a few times. The only part of it I've been to that I liked was Kata Beach.

The only complaint I hear on a regular basis regarding Chiang Mai, is about the air quality -- apparently very smoky during certain times of the year.

But almost any place has got to better than Phuket. I made my last visit a couple of years ago, and swear never to return. Who wants to pay more money to be treated poorly by the locals? Did they (almost) all forget how to smile and be honest down there?

I miss the beach. BUT! a lot more better living here in chiang mai. For the beach, a trip to Langkawi, Tioman, or Perhentian islands in Malaysia is always worthwhile. Islands and beachside in Thailand way too touristy and expensive.

I agree Phuket sucks been here 14 years in Thailand last three and a half in Phuket. Chiang Mai or BKK are better than here people are friendlier there. I have lost count but more people seem to get knocked off here in Phuket than in BKK it's a dangerous place that attracts dangerous people. I am moving very soon had enough already.

I agree Phuket sucks been here 14 years in Thailand last three and a half in Phuket. Chiang Mai or BKK are better than here people are friendlier there. I have lost count but more people seem to get knocked off here in Phuket than in BKK it's a dangerous place that attracts dangerous people. I am moving very soon had enough already.

I can tell you that my husband and I have been in Chiang Mai for 3 months - we moved here directly from a small town in Laos. This is heaven compared to Laos and we truly love it!

The economy is tough as it is everywhere, but the people are very friendly and very happy here. In Laos the locals seem very sad - it's a tough life living outside of maybe Vientiene in Laos....I think it was more expensive there than here!

We are scuba divers and visted Koh Tao last weekend for 4 days...talk about expensive! The trip there was cheap, but a tuk-tuk is 200 baht minimum...we laugh now at the 100 baht we get quoted to go just about anywhere here in Chiang Mai! Still, I know locals pay less for everything - I've turned into a much better negotiator now...and keep the money in my hand....and it works!

Still...we miss the water and would love to be closer....but I woiuld not want to put up with some of the things I've seen written here about Phuket.

When I lived in Hawaii for 6 years I would travel back to the US mainland and people would say "you're so lucky to live in Hawaii" and I would just smile and say - "all I did was MOVE and you can TOO!"

Start packing!

Edited by debbieinthailand

Thanks. I think we are lucky too. I have been out here for twentry years. Lived in Phuket too. Nice for a holiday occassionally if you don't mind the absurd prices but Chiang Mai is a much better place to live. I love the sea but could not deal anymore with the grabby, greedy attitude of foreigners and Thai's alike. You should try CM for a while :) I had a home built here and never looked back. Albeit I still go back and forth all over the country. Good place to live.