English Driving Licence In Thailand

exeter

Not hard really? Why are you suggesting it is difficult to understand? All I was saying was that the Uk's AA IDP is the same as the IAA's. The books look the same. Both state they aren't legal without an official DL from home country to accompany it. What I was saying that you may have found difficult to understand :-) was that it is so much easier to get an IDP from IAA than the UK's AA if overseas already. They are cheaper and last over a yr as well, up to 10 in fact - (why should you say most certainly not?), as long as your home country DL is still valid.

But is the IAA affiliated with the AA or is this another body ??, as far as know getting a IDP based on the UK license has to come from the AA or other British goverment approved entity and stand to be corrected but the IAA is not ???

Therefore if IAA is not an approved entity, your IAA IDP is really worth jack

Hello Chums, just got my Internatinal Driving Permit, it is not available at all Post Offices. I had to go to the Trafalgar Office in King William 1V Street, go to the Currency Exchange counter,done for you there straight away, only one photo required and costs £5.50.

Exeter....you paid 5 quid and how long is it valid..1 year ??

Digitalbanana.....if Exeter has just paid 5 quid for a legit IDP, how much have you paid, as you said the IAA was cheaper.??

Edited by Soutpeel

When I last got my IDP from UK's AA it cost 12.50UKP inc international postage to my address in Thailand and a three week wait on post to mail a cheque. (The actual IDP is 5.50) . That's only for a year and I used to pay it all over again each year. Look on the IAA web site and see how much they ask for 10 yrs and it arrives within a week of paying online. But why bother since you said the "IAA IDP is really worth jack"

I have noticed one or two others mention similar things, but until now, even on this thread no one has explained why an IAA IDP is really worth jack if I use it along with a valid home UK DL.

Is it not a case of being Overqualifed With a UK licence? Sorry cant be Legal = T money 2 to 500 Baht Up to you

You must learn to use the Traffic Lights corectly. Look if you have too and GO Red Green or the silly flashing ones

Mean GO Man GO Pavements or Sidewalks are just road extentions Use Them it's Legal

Act Thai like = Less T money :)

Look on the IAA web site and see how much they ask for 10 yrs and it arrives within a week of paying online. But why bother since you said the "IAA IDP is really worth jack"

Your right I dont have to bother, I have a Thai DL and can get a IDP on this from Thailand and failing that, got two other valid DL from two other countries.

You will find you wont get stopped for breaking the law in thailand but for not breaking it in most cases !, your uk licence wil be fine accompanied by 200 baht usually, :D , im still on mine for 9 years now and ive driven all over thailand and cambodia, have a good trip , m, ( Torquay ) :)

Brave man, 9 years without any insurance coverage. Ever considered what will happen when someone is killed or left with permanent disability ? It will be more than 200 baht for sure...

WRONG,where did i say without insurance ? and if you rent a car you can do so with a uk licence and the insurance is valid,.

Well they sell you insurance without any licence i believe. However you might notice if you read the policy fine print that they are not required to compensate you if you do not have valid DL, drive drunk etc etc. Yes there is some reports them paying minor claims but when the amounts go thru the roof expect them to pull every possible paragraph from policy to justify their rejection of your claim.

Rental cars i do not know but i would assume their policy is different, and most likely covers in case short term rental for tourists.

as far as know getting a IDP based on the UK license has to come from the AA or other British goverment approved entity and stand to be corrected but the IAA is not ???

Any reference to back up this? The IAA web site says otherwise.

Well the concept is explained HERE if you do not trust wiki there is link to the original convention text.

So IDP's are based on UN conventions where they have agreed on the template of the IDP along other traffic and vehicle related standards and also agreed that official IDP together with valid home country DL is recognized by the countries that ratified the convention.

Below is direct quote from...

CONVENTION ON ROAD TRAFFIC

Geneva, 19 September 1949

CHAPTER V. DRIVERS OF MOTOR VEHICLES IN INTERNATIONAL TRAFFIC

Article 24

1. Each Contracting State shall allow any driver admitted to its territory who fulfils the conditions which are set out in Annex 8 and who holds a valid driving permit issued to him, after he has given proof of his competence, by the competent authority of another Contracting State or subdivision thereof, or by an Association duly empowered by such authority, to drive on its roads without further examination motor vehicles of the category or categories defined in Annexes 9 and 10 for which the permit has been issued.

2. A Contracting State may however require that any driver admitted to its territory shall carry an international driving permit conforming to the model contained in Annex 10, especially in the case of a driver coming from a country where a domestic driving permit is not required or where the domestic permit issued to him does not conform to the model contained in Annex 9.

3. The international driving permit shall, after the driver has given proof of his competence, be delivered by the competent authority of a Contracting State or subdivision thereof, or by a duly authorised Association, and sealed or stamped by such authority or Association. The holder shall be entitled to drive in all Contracting States without further examination motor vehicles coming within the categories for which the permit has been issued.

4. The right to use the domestic as well as the international driving permit may be refused if it is evident that the conditions of issue are no longer fulfilled.

5. A Contracting State or a subdivision thereof may withdraw from the driver the right to use either of the abovementioned permits only if the driver has committed a driving offence of such a nature as would entail the forfeiture of his driving permit under the legislation and regulations of that Contracting State. In such an event, the Contracting State or subdivision thereof withdrawing the use of the permit may withdraw and retain the permit until the period of the withdrawal of use expires or until the holder leaves the territory of that Contracting State, whichever is the earlier, and may record such withdrawal of use on the permit and communicate the name and address of the driver to the authority which issued the permit.

6. During a period of five years beginning with the entry into force of this Convention, any driver admitted to international traffic under the provisions of the International Convention relative to Motor Traffic signed at Paris on 24 April 1926, or of the Convention on the Regulation of Inter-American Automotive Traffic opened for signature at Washington on 15 December 1943, and holding the documents required thereunder, shall be considered as fulfilling the requirements of this Article.

So if there is dispute regarding your online translation you can always check with your government who is authorized by the state to issue IDP's. Easiest place to ask would be the traffic police or authority that issues you home country DL. They most certainly now.

Official IDP's have been valid for one year always. Propably due there is validity set in the convention text. So the fact that you purchased something from internet that is "valid" 10 years gives it away as just translation and not as valid IDP.

For UK, this PAGE lists down 4 ways to get your official IDP.

• AA – You can pick up an IDP from your local AA branch
  • RAC – The RAC will be able to help you get your IDP before leaving for your overseas trip
  • GreenFlag – Another motoring organisation that are able to provide you with your IDP
  • The Post Office – Make your IDP application at your local post office

Now if you do not believe this info please do contact your government and let us know if there is anyone else authorized to issue IDP's and indeed if there has been new convention that UN countries have ratified recognizing 10 year validity for IDP's.

as far as know getting a IDP based on the UK license has to come from the AA or other British goverment approved entity and stand to be corrected but the IAA is not ???

Having looked at the IAA website show me where it says that...

Having had a look at the application forms for an IDP from IAA and the AA UK have the following comments:

IAA doesnt even require you to prove you have a valid DL from any country, I couldnt get any futher in the process, because they want your C/C details (certainly makes me think). It appears somebody could be issued a IDP without evening having a legal valid DL.

Someone is going to argue that it doesnt matter because your valid D/L has to accompany this document, but if an offical (read BiB) doesnt know of this requirement, due to the "high quality" finish of this document looking all legimate with monograms etc, it would be easy for an offical to be lead to believe this is a strand alone license.

In comparision with the application for an IDP from the AA in the UK, you are required to provide photographs and full photocopies of your UK license or other listed documention.

The most interesting statement says if you can cant provide the listed document an addtional fee is required for the AA to do a seach with DNLV to ensure you are entitled to drive ie you have a legal DL, therefore the AA in the UK do check that you have a valid UK drivers license.

Seeing as IAA is US based, can you see them being allowed to check the validity of someone DL from another, would be interesting to see if they can even check the validity of a US DL with the DNV

IMHO, IAA are a scam or at the very least mis-representing the validity of their IDP, granted they go to great lengths to say its only a translation of a valid DL and must be used in conjuction with a valid DL, but it appears you can get an IDP from AA without a valid DL, this alone makes the system very suspect...

Suppose an analogy on this subject is the bought/on-line/life experience University degrees, yes a very pretty piece of paper, structured in such a way that its not illegal, but certainly misrepresents the value of the so-called degree..

Having looked at the IAA website show me where it says that...

Having had a look at the application forms for an IDP from IAA and the AA UK have the following comments:

IAA doesnt even require you to prove you have a valid DL from any country, I couldnt get any futher in the process, because they want your C/C details (certainly makes me think). It appears somebody could be issued a IDP without evening having a legal valid DL.

Someone is going to argue that it doesnt matter because your valid D/L has to accompany this document, but if an offical (read BiB) doesnt know of this requirement, due to the "high quality" finish of this document looking all legimate with monograms etc, it would be easy for an offical to be lead to believe this is a strand alone license.

In comparision with the application for an IDP from the AA in the UK, you are required to provide photographs and full photocopies of your UK license or other listed documention.

The most interesting statement says if you can cant provide the listed document an addtional fee is required for the AA to do a seach with DNLV to ensure you are entitled to drive ie you have a legal DL, therefore the AA in the UK do check that you have a valid UK drivers license.

Seeing as IAA is US based, can you see them being allowed to check the validity of someone DL from another, would be interesting to see if they can even check the validity of a US DL with the DNV

IMHO, IAA are a scam or at the very least mis-representing the validity of their IDP, granted they go to great lengths to say its only a translation of a valid DL and must be used in conjuction with a valid DL, but it appears you can get an IDP from AA without a valid DL, this alone makes the system very suspect...

Suppose an analogy on this subject is the bought/on-line/life experience University degrees, yes a very pretty piece of paper, structured in such a way that its not illegal, but certainly misrepresents the value of the so-called degree..

A few good points made. Thanks. I think too that if you get in an accident the insurance company might look twice at that IDL and might use it against you if it is not the approved type! Do the employees know the difference, that's another matter?

In Canada, they ask for 2 passport pictures and 15 CAD. Having just one (since the visa asked me for just one), I thought one would be enough, but I was told one was used for the document that goes to the office. Can someone please explain to me why we need that extra one official passport picture? I would think they could easily verify that my faces matches a scanned copy! Why one year anyway? Am I asking too many questions for the bureaucrats?

Edited by rethaired

In Canada, they ask for 2 passport pictures and 15 CAD. Having just one (since the visa asked me for just one), I thought one would be enough, but I was told one was used for the document that goes to the office. Can someone please explain to me why we need that extra one official passport picture? I would think they could easily verify that my faces matches a scanned copy! Why one year anyway? Am I asking too many questions for the bureaucrats?

Cant comment on the 2 photo requirement, but the one year validity, suppose you have to look at the intent of a IDP, it was set up for the purpose to making it easier for tourists to drive in other countries while on holiday, the intent was never intended to allow to drive in another country forever, guess 12 months seemed like a "good" number.

You would also have to consider that DL's in some countries require periodic renewal ie Thailand every five years, therefore if you had an IDP based on a Thai license which was valid for 10 years, it would be invalidated after 5 years because you have to renew your DL anyway

What I cant understand is people come to Thailand with the intent of staying long term, but cant be bothered getting a Thai DL, and insist a IDP is ok ??.....lets face it, getting a Thai DL is not that hard if you already have a DL from another country and you may or may not be required to produce an IDP

Hello Chums, just got my Internatinal Driving Permit, it is not available at all Post Offices. I had to go to the Trafalgar Office in King William 1V Street, go to the Currency Exchange counter,done for you there straight away, only one photo required and costs £5.50.

Gidday mate,

Can you please explain to me why you start all ur posts with the words "Hello Chums". What is this, 'chums' thing?

Have a great day buddy & hope you enjoy ur trip to Thailand :)

Gidday mate,

Can you please explain to me why you start all ur posts with the words "Hello Chums". What is this, 'chums' thing?

I believe the phase comes from the Discovery channel " A plane is born", A car is born...etc hosted by a chap called Mark "somebody" whose opening words every episode is "Hello Chums"...before he delves into building a car, motorbike or helicopter.... :D

Gidday mate,

'Hello Chums' - is like saying 'Hi Friends' - I guess it is a courteous way of starting a Post for somebody who grew up writing 'Dear Sir', 'Dear Mother' or whatever. Some of us OLD folks feel uncomfortable with TextSpeak.

Incidentally 'Chum' is an Indian word that entered the English language, just like pyjamas, bungalow, shampoo and chutney; plus untold other 'loanwords' from just about every world language. One reason why English is so universal is that it absorbs other languages as it grows, and vice-versa.

Gidday mate,

I believe the phase comes from the Discovery channel " A plane is born", A car is born...etc hosted by a chap called Mark "somebody" whose opening words every episode is "Hello Chums"...before he delves into building a car, motorbike or helicopter.... :D

The phrase is much much older than that. It was in use during the First World War, and the word itself comes from India. My Grandfather fought in WW1 and he and countless others were known as 'Chums'.

The '... is born' presenter is Mike Evans, and the series was made by 'i2i', a British production company in the Midlands. It was shown on many channels, including Discovery, C4, Home & Leisure etc.

Edited by AjarnChan

Gidday mate,

The phrase is much much older than that. It was in use during the First World War, and the word itself comes from India. My Grandfather fought in WW1 and he and countless others were known as 'Chums'.

The '... is born' presenter is Mike Evans, and the series was made by 'i2i', a British production company in the Midlands. It was shown on many channels, including Discovery, C4, Home & Leisure etc.

Mike Evans..thats it...my sincere apologies...knew it started with an "M"....I wasnt suggesting that this guy invented the pharse, agreed it goes back to way before WWI, and would suggest it was used extensively in Public schools in England at the time, "going to play cricket with chums what" ?? but in the context of this forum, being a motoring forum, and seeing as this phrase was being used in a motoring program put two and two together...you see the connection ??

Only the OP can confirm, why he used this phrase...