Thai Atm Cards..kasikorn Bank

Is it possible to get cover against fraud when applying for a card.

As with others, I am told I need to provide an ATM slip at my next visa extension.

I do not want to get one but if they insist, then I would like to have local bank cover if it is possible when applying.

I am with the Kasikorn Bank by the way and wonder if anyone has this already.

Thanks in advance for any replies

marshbags :)

Can not answer your question but don't believe insurance is offered. But normally you can set a withdrawal limit on accounts which would help. Use card only at a bank located ATM (where security should be tighter) and immediately change PIN if you feel a machine you used might have been compromised with skimmer or someone/camera observing.

Understand this is Nong Khai but believe they must make exceptions. I suspect the ATM receipt in there view is easier for you. A bank letter on the same day should always be acceptable.

For those using US direct deposit to Bangkok Bank the account does not allow an ATM card to be issued so they would never be able to provide an ATM receipt.

Can not answer your question but don't believe insurance is offered. But normally you can set a withdrawal limit on accounts which would help. Use card only at a bank located ATM (where security should be tighter) and immediately change PIN if you feel a machine you used might have been compromised with skimmer or someone/camera observing.

Understand this is Nong Khai but believe they must make exceptions. I suspect the ATM receipt in there view is easier for you. A bank letter on the same day should always be acceptable.

For those using US direct deposit to Bangkok Bank the account does not allow an ATM card to be issued so they would never be able to provide an ATM receipt.

Thanks for the reply, lopburi.

Having a withdrawal limit on an issued card seems a good way of preventing / limiting fraud.

In my case I would set it at the least amount possible / acceptable as i would be getting a card just for slip showing purposes only.

I realised with this additional observation, my post may now be better served on the Visa forum.

I am a little confused by the change in policy re the day before being acceptable which the new supervisor has now implemented ( in my case anyway ) at the present time.

Does it mean that if you provide an ATM slip that you get prior to going into the Immigration Centre, a letter is still required as well ?

I am happy to provide both is required, it seems the letter as i read it, will still be required to verify my account details ect. anyway.

Should anyone need to get an up to date ATM slip prior to going, there is a machine at Tesco Lotus in N.Khai or if you go towards the Friendship Bridge from there, there is a 7/11 facility with one on the left, just before you turn left to go up towards the centre.

If you are like me, then these are more convenient than stopping elsewhere and the locations are not so busy, normally early in the morning..... 08.00am that is.

This usefull information was kindly offered to me while getting my renewal extended.

Edited by marshbags

Taking onboard what lopburi wisely suggests, there are several banks in the town which should offer the best security.

The 2 places I offer via the Immigration officers advice are both in busy locations and with added alertness to possible tampering ect., hopefully will be o.k.

Re insurance for fraud the local Kasikorn bank this morning said it was not available.

They did say the everyone is covered for life insurance of 100k when misunderstanding my enquiries about possible cover.

Edited by marshbags

Thanks for the reply, lopburi.

Having a withdrawal limit on an issued card seems a good way of preventing / limiting fraud.

In my case I would set it at the least amount possible / acceptable as i would be getting a card just for slip showing purposes only.

I realised with this additional observation, my post may now be better served on the Visa forum.

I am a little confused by the change in policy re the day before being acceptable which the new supervisor has now implemented ( in my case anyway ) at the present time.

Does it mean that if you provide an ATM slip that you get prior to going into the Immigration Centre, a letter is still required as well ?

I am happy to provide both is required, it seems the letter as i read it, will still be required to verify my account details ect. anyway.

Should anyone need to get an up to date ATM slip prior to going, there is a machine at Tesco Lotus in N.Khai or if you go towards the Friendship Bridge from there, there is a 7/11 facility with one on the left, just before you turn left to go up towards the centre.

If you are like me, then these are more convenient than stopping elsewhere and the locations are not so busy, normally early in the morning..... 08.00am that is.

This usefull information was kindly offered to me while getting my renewal extended.

I may be remembering your original post incorrectly, but for what it's worth.

I think the problem you had was that although you had your passbok updated on the day (or the day before?) you visited immigration, there were no recent activity on your account. Because of this the balance in you bankbook had an "old date" next to it, and there was no way for immigration to confirm that the money was in fact still in the account. That's why they suggested that you go to the ATM and get a balance confirmation slip.

I believe that had you just taken out (or deposited) THB 100 of your account the day you visited immigration, then your passbook would have shown the balance "on that date", and immigration would probably have been happy and not asked you for the ATM skip.

But as I said, maybe I'm remembering the situation incorrectly. If so feel free to ignore me.

Sophon

I may be remembering your original post incorrectly, but for what it's worth.

I think the problem you had was that although you had your passbok updated on the day (or the day before?) you visited immigration, there were no recent activity on your account. Because of this the balance in you bankbook had an "old date" next to it, and there was no way for immigration to confirm that the money was in fact still in the account. That's why they suggested that you go to the ATM and get a balance confirmation slip.

I believe that had you just taken out (or deposited) THB 100 of your account the day you visited immigration, then your passbook would have shown the balance "on that date", and immigration would probably have been happy and not asked you for the ATM skip.

But as I said, maybe I'm remembering the situation incorrectly. If so feel free to ignore me.

Sophon

Thanks for this reply Sophon and on the contrary, I for one take on board your observations.

You remember correctly and yes i did do it the day previously as I have always done in years gone by, following instructions asked for and given on my last 90 reporting before actually applying for my extension.

Obviously the new superior who only came in situ later, had other ideas.

Your suggestion about doing an activity prior to getting the letter is also a good idea to ensure the latest possible date is entered into the book.

I still think had it been any of the other officers, I would have been o.k. anyway, but being forewarned and prepared is always the best policy, so thanks again.

One couple where being interviewed while i was stood at the back of them and produced their bank letter and 2 books which where accepted and processed as o.k.

No way could they have got the letter on the day as it was only just after 08.45 am and the banks would have only just been opening.

Apologies if this now seems to be wavering between two forums, but it is IMHO relevant to what i was asking about and then highlighted as to why.

I hope the thread offers useful info to other members in a similar situation on both fronts.

Edited by marshbags