Well Here They Are, Paintings

doppa

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They do not look too good on my screen, maybe something to do with the resolution. You have to stand back about 2 metres from the screen to really appreciate them.

I'm impressed, wish I had a talent like that.

Can you post the original photos to compare?

Edited by loong

Fantastic !!!!!!!! Its nice to see a change from the other kind of artists so often found on these forums. I paint to when I can find the time I love it ,, have painted for many years now , but will never have the talent you have got to achieve your high standards ,,,,,,, I hope you post more I would love to see them. If you post more could you reduce the file size first pls ?

A good friend of mine here in the UK is Richard Stone ,, he has been commisioned many times by the royal family for portraitsure work he lives near me ,, I will print these off and take to show him for his comments .

Good luck and hapy painting ,, you have inspired me to pick me brushes up again

do any of you remember me posting some while back about' art', just to refresh for those who didnt, ive painted since i retired from work, initially oils, because there forgiving, and i painted old football players , because i wanted to paint a passion, and football has and will [ although it feels as ift's diminising] always be a passion.

then i came to thailand about 7yrs ago , and saw what the thai artists can produce, albeit very similiar, they have god given talent, my work didnt compare.

anyway to continue, about a year ago i decided to hang up the brushes, and teach myself something that i myself would be proud of in a painting/drawing, so it has taken me this length of time to produce similiar efforts , as above, i use a combination of methods, from initial drawing/painting, and computer based technology, some have said ps on here, but its a lot more complicated than that, anyone with time on their hands, some raw talent, and patience can produce whatever they want.

i now print all my own work, onto a max. A2 size onto various paper qualities , the best being the watercolor fine art, i then spend a further period of time, drawing/[ painting if on canvas] on top of the printed piece.

i feel from the response of people who've seen my portfolio, that for me its a technique thats been justified in their comments, and that anyone of you can learn , if you want to go down that route, the more traditional artist will stick to there brushes, which is fine, i wanted to move on, because my raw talent simply isnt good enough.

i get great pleasure from presenting a piece to a friend, it's a pleasure to see their reaction, and it makes me feel good.

if you wish i can put up some more of my work , from steam trains to buddhas, just let me know.

Doppa........What size are they and how long did it take you to complete? Wish I had just a little of your talent.

overall in time about i day each for both, i can print them out at A2, if youve got an artistic eye, whatever method you prefer to use, everyone and anyone can paint, if your happy with the finnished article, thats the ultimate test, i was never happy with my oils, so thats why i hung the brushes up, and tried and taught a method which suites me, and satisfies my highly critical mind.

doppa I must say I am impressed with your water colours have you ever tried to paint in oil?

I used to do a bit of painting many years back for me water colours where harder to do then in oil

or pastel

Keep it up

doppa I must say I am impressed with your water colours have you ever tried to paint in oil?

I used to do a bit of painting many years back for me water colours where harder to do then in oil

or pastel

Keep it up

water color is by far the most difficult medium to work in, once the paint brush touches the paper , it's extremley difficult to ersae it or paint over it , before it ends up just looing muddy, oils are so forgiving, you can paint over, scratch off, even the whole canvas if you want, pastels are a little more forgiving, you just watch the thais doing there portraits , using the chinese brushes, fingers, and the black similiar you get in photocopy macines., get the brushes out and try, if there two things in life that empty your mind of all other things, one is art, the other for me fly fishing.

Wow ! You have a talent Sir ! My Dad owns an art business in the UK that takes artists originals of their painting and produces high end limited edition prints. It means artists of all types can produce limited run prints of their work. From 1-500. Its okay I am not trying to sell you on it :) But he has done some David Sheperd (the wildlife artist) prints recently and hundreds of amateur's works too as we all professional artists. I wonder if they offer this service here. Its great as you can give them to friends and family but also sell a limited edition run ! You can even have just say 5 done which is great.

Anyways to cut a long story short. Your work is excellent. Its a beautiful painting. Very impressed. I wish I had your talent to be able to paint like that. Marvelous.

Wow ! You have a talent Sir ! My Dad owns an art business in the UK that takes artists originals of their painting and produces high end limited edition prints. It means artists of all types can produce limited run prints of their work. From 1-500. Its okay I am not trying to sell you on it :) But he has done some David Sheperd (the wildlife artist) prints recently and hundreds of amateur's works too as we all professional artists. I wonder if they offer this service here. Its great as you can give them to friends and family but also sell a limited edition run ! You can even have just say 5 done which is great.

Anyways to cut a long story short. Your work is excellent. Its a beautiful painting. Very impressed. I wish I had your talent to be able to paint like that. Marvelous.

thanks, it's something i'm considering to do when we get to chiangmai at the end of this month, for me its a throway world more than ever now, i guess there some folk who want originals, but i tend to think that if people can buy a print which is pleasing to the eye, for a decent price, if they ever get fed up with it , for whatever reason, they'll replace it, originals , your soughta stuck with it, anyway will see what transpires, but its interesting reading peoples comments on here..

do any of you remember me posting some while back about' art', just to refresh for those who didnt, ive painted since i retired from work, initially oils, because there forgiving, and i painted old football players , because i wanted to paint a passion, and football has and will [ although it feels as ift's diminising] always be a passion.

then i came to thailand about 7yrs ago , and saw what the thai artists can produce, albeit very similiar, they have god given talent, my work didnt compare.

anyway to continue, about a year ago i decided to hang up the brushes, and teach myself something that i myself would be proud of in a painting/drawing, so it has taken me this length of time to produce similiar efforts , as above, i use a combination of methods, from initial drawing/painting, and computer based technology, some have said ps on here, but its a lot more complicated than that, anyone with time on their hands, some raw talent, and patience can produce whatever they want.

i now print all my own work, onto a max. A2 size onto various paper qualities , the best being the watercolor fine art, i then spend a further period of time, drawing/[ painting if on canvas] on top of the printed piece.

i feel from the response of people who've seen my portfolio, that for me its a technique thats been justified in their comments, and that anyone of you can learn , if you want to go down that route, the more traditional artist will stick to there brushes, which is fine, i wanted to move on, because my raw talent simply isnt good enough.

i get great pleasure from presenting a piece to a friend, it's a pleasure to see their reaction, and it makes me feel good.

if you wish i can put up some more of my work , from steam trains to buddhas, just let me know.

Hi,

I'm also an artist, but I dont have an A2 printer in udon, so my stuffs are posted on photo-sites.

all these are digital paintings of markets in udon, nongkhai etc...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerrylee/sets...57602467357853/

this particular one, carries description of the layering techniques:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerrylee/1672...57602467357853/

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2057/167269...07e0098.jpg?v=0

this is a larger portfolio:

http://www.ipernity.com/home/jerry_lee

cheers

this is like back at school waiting for your teacher to check your homework.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Doppa,

These are, to my eye, aesthetically pleasing. And it is good to hear you have found a way to become absorbed in your creative process that brings you peace of mind.

Unfortunately I worked three years at Adobe (long ago) back when I was a professional programmer, and I know very well what could be done then, and can be done now with an even vastly wider palette of effects, with digital image manipulation.

So, from my point of view, I don't find this "art" in the sense that the subject matter is not original, and the extent of digital manipulation is not stated. From my point of view these are, at best, equivalent to brushwork decorations on top of other people's creative work. They are reproductions.

Which is not to discount your skill or craft at brushwork at all : for all I know, it may be excellent. I look forward to seeing something where the content comes from your mind, and your imagination. And I do enjoy original "digital art" very much, including collages where there is a mix of original and sourced content.

I think real art has to come from somewhere deep in the self, and when it comes from there, you will not be concerned with how other people "grade" it, even though, hopefully, you may remain "vulnerable" to how other people react to it.

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

this is like back at school waiting for your teacher to check your homework.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Doppa,

These are, to my eye, aesthetically pleasing. And it is good to hear you have found a way to become absorbed in your creative process that brings you peace of mind.

Unfortunately I worked three years at Adobe (long ago) back when I was a professional programmer, and I know very well what could be done then, and can be done now with an even vastly wider palette of effects, with digital image manipulation.

So, from my point of view, I don't find this "art" in the sense that the subject matter is not original, and the extent of digital manipulation is not stated. From my point of view these are, at best, equivalent to brushwork decorations on top of other people's creative work. They are reproductions.

Which is not to discount your skill or craft at brushwork at all : for all I know, it may be excellent. I look forward to seeing something where the content comes from your mind, and your imagination. And I do enjoy original "digital art" very much, including collages where there is a mix of original and sourced content.

I think real art has to come from somewhere deep in the self, and when it comes from there, you will not be concerned with how other people "grade" it, even though, hopefully, you may remain "vulnerable" to how other people react to it.

best, ~o:37;

when you mean real art, i assume that the canvass is blank and the end product is entirely your creation in whatever form, and i agree , to a point, because creativity is always influenced by some subliminal thought process, that may have influenced you at some point in your life, wherever that may be, which in fact you'll probably never realise.

music wise, even mccartney admits to rummaging old music shops to find a melody that could be tinkered with, of course, they did have the genius to develop , for me the album which no one will ever better for originality, sgt. peppers.

unfortunately, i'm not a genius, but what i can do , and have never claimed otherwise, is that i will take any photograph, and produce a painting , drawing, sketch ,with a little bit of talent, a good eye for composition

i can produce a piece that a customer would find appealing.

if its originality you want, well taking my own photographs, using my own creative skills, is what i'm currently working on now, and eventually will be the larger proportion of my work.

however taking an old photo as ive done of the late great 'hughie gallacher'[ 1930's ex nufc fotballer] retouching it to a state where it becomes evident of who it is, using all the techniques iv'e learn't so far, and generating a piece that people enthuse over, is in my mind being creative.

i worked in the ad industry all my life, 25yrs having my own company, and the biggest collection of items the creative director and his designers had, was a library of graphic design books, why, to sit for endless hours tring to find inspiration for his current projects, nothing in the advertising industry is NEW, nothing.

so getting back to my 2 attempts, i used 2 pictures, one a pretty straight forward portrait shot, and one a rather nice moody fishing shot, not my pictures , correct, but definitely my paintings/pieces, using what ability i have, with and without the computer.

some the great painters of the world, had schools of painters working for them , upon when a picture was finnished, and if it suited the master himself, he would sign it, although he never raised a brush to assist, i find that rather more disturbing, it was pointed out in a programme i recently watched, that a famous artist over a period of 8yrs, produced something like a few hundred paintings, which worked out to be one a week, which as we all know, was physically impossible, but he signed them, now that i dont understand.

to say it was unfortunate to work for adobe, i would be interested to know why, curiosity.

and the only comment that raised my hackles just a touch , was, ' that at best these are reproductions', well i dont see how, i produce pieces of work from photos., not paintings or drawings or fine art prints etc, so in my eyes i've produced an original artwork, that no one else in the world has produced, there can't possibly be 2 alike, similiar maybe , but never alike, although the subject matter is the same, and has been provided.

ive never proclaimed or misled anyone with regards to how i produce my pieces, i have as already stated in an earlier post, that my skills are basically in 3/4 areas, choosing a refreshing subject, manipulating that subject into an art form [manually/ digitally], having a good eye for asthectics, and a whole load of patience,

vulnerability only occurs when you claim something it's not, i've never have done and never will, in my portfolio my statement explains to all , that computer, and hand work have been used to generate this piece from a photograph found for free, or paid for.

what else can i say.

These are not "paintings" by any stretch of the imagination. Two of your "works" would have been more appropriate.

these are two pieces of my works , from 2 photographs from this board, that i had already asked if anyone would object to use, just to show what i do.

so what is your point.

Edited by doppa

Hi,

I'm also an artist, but I dont have an A2 printer in udon, so my stuffs are posted on photo-sites.

all these are digital paintings of markets in udon, nongkhai etc...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerrylee/sets...57602467357853/

this particular one, carries description of the layering techniques:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerrylee/1672...57602467357853/

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2057/167269...07e0098.jpg?v=0

this is a larger portfolio:

http://www.ipernity.com/home/jerry_lee

cheers

thanks for those, will look into them.

These are not "paintings" by any stretch of the imagination. Two of your "works" would have been more appropriate.

these are two pictures of my works , from 2 photographs from this board, how can that not be classed as not my work.

i presume you mean by this, as two paintings that i created on a blank canvass , in such a form, that it doesnt exist any where else in the world, only from my imagination.

if so, i'm no where near talented enough, sorry

I think bristilpistol's and also my complaint is that you tried to pass these off as real paintings (even saying they took a DAY each to complete :) ) when I, or anyone else can achieve the same effect in 30 seconds in Photoshop. Thus labelling these as 'paintings' is very misleading.

these are two pictures of my works , from 2 photographs from this board, how can that not be classed as not my work.

i presume you mean by this, as two paintings that i created on a blank canvass , in such a form, that it doesnt exist any where else in the world, only from my imagination.

if so, i'm no where near talented enough, sorry

I think bristilpistol's and also my complaint is that you tried to pass these off as real paintings (even saying they took a DAY each to complete :) ) when I, or anyone else can achieve the same effect in 30 seconds in Photoshop. Thus labelling these as 'paintings' is very misleading.

i take offense to your remark, that i tried to mislead anyone, and if you can show where ive stated that, please do.

if you use photoshop, go ahead and produce one for all to see.

i use at least 3 other programmes, as well as ps to get the image i want, and unfortunately there no where near as quick as ps, but offer a bigger variety, so all in all, it took about a day for each.

perhaps you need to watch your mouth.