New Police Scam - Got Set Up Today

Tokay

before (long time ago) everyone was riding around without a helmet. then they made a law indicating that the driver shall wear a helmet at all times when riding a bike, then to the present they say both have to wear a full face chin helmet for the protection all the face.

strangly i never saw any one wearing a full face helmet because even the police them selfs have just got an eggshell on the head.

If you look around you'll see quite a few Thais wearing full face helmets...especially motor taxi and food delivery guys.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thanks for the headsup, good thing for me is the missus is always on the back of my bike - actually she never let's me out of her sight when we are in pattaya for some reason :)

Then that would be an added fine for three on a bike... :D

honestly I would have pissed myself laughing and paid the 400 baht, and got on with life. up to you if you want to make it all personal. See the funny side and he probably would let you off next time he stops you for actually doing something wrong. hel_l remember you are the laughing farang. Or, get angry and put it on youtube and tell all the papers about something everyone knows about- police corruption- and if it makes you feel better thatll only last as long as until the next time something like this happens to you. So about 2 days or so. With such an obvious setup, and for 400 baht, theres no option but to laugh. Lighten up. Cmon. Never mind. Youll change nothing and next time he runs into you it will be the same or worse due to how you handled yourself.

Am I the only one who finds this really really funny? That cop is a genius!

I imagine 95% of the farangs he stops get angry. Make yourself different. Appeal to his humanity. Be the one who finds it funny or maybe even congratulate him on a great idea (if your thai is sensitive enough to do this without causing offence). Think long term. Get him on side. Play the game. Dont rebel, dont be western and dont let it bother you for more than a minute. Then, you win.

Really, so you would take this shit in your stride and laugh about it, please can i have some of your happy pills . :)

$14 USD! He lost more money in time complaining about it. I hope he never lived in NYC; takes hundreds in bribes to get anything done. Life is much more enjoyable when you roll with the punches and live and learn.

The "free" in freeway has nothing to do with freedom to pass. They call it a freeway because it is a highway with no intersection so traffic is free to flow.

Thank buddha for wikipedia.

Freeways mean free to pass on either side? :) Hilarious.

Yup, lived in Texas for 10 years and that was what a Texas DPS Trooper told told me. I guess they are full of sh!t too.

I've had a Texas driver's license for the last 56 years.

I never heard this "free to pass on either side" theory expounded by anybody until reading this post.

I always thought it was 'FREEway' as opposed to 'TOLLway.' Free to drive on. Those seem to be the two major designations in the US for an Interstate highway.

I dont know if its pride or principles but either way its pretty ridiculous to get so het up about such a small situation. Live a month in the policemans shoes and then see if you really want to get so offended by it. Your life is infinitiely better so why not allow him his methods? Just trying for a different angle here... lol

... Life is much more enjoyable when you roll with the punches and live and learn.

Isn't that pretty much what Chamberlain was saying in 1938?! Why have any laws, or strike out against any type of injustice, if that's your attitude? Just let anyone who wants to knock you on your ass and take your wallet do so. Is that it? Does this also apply to how women should react to rape and/or domestic abuse?

Well, reading all of that was time consuming, okay you goit scammed, a lot of people agree it was wrong, and shouldntr have happened, but you still lost 400TB, did you ever post a video or even make a video,

Did posting the scam here help any ?

By posting here, did you get your 400TB back ?

If you did make and post the video, got a link for it ?

(they tried fining me for smoking outside a bar, 18 months back, didnt work, I dont smoke, that was a lot of fun, I asked he liked sex and travel, he didnt reply so I told him to FO, he did :) )

Well, reading all of that was time consuming, okay you goit scammed, a lot of people agree it was wrong, and shouldntr have happened, but you still lost 400TB, did you ever post a video or even make a video,

Did posting the scam here help any ?

By posting here, did you get your 400TB back ?

If you did make and post the video, got a link for it ?

(they tried fining me for smoking outside a bar, 18 months back, didnt work, I dont smoke, that was a lot of fun, I asked he liked sex and travel, he didnt reply so I told him to FO, he did :) )

This is a valid topic, it helps people to watch out for a scam.

posting details of the scam may help others to avoid it.

Why do you mention video 2ce? he didn't have a camera with him at the time.

You told a Thai policeman to FO?

You were lucky not to be locked up and you would have fully deserved it. Of course it wouldn't matter that you don't smoke, but the police would be fully within their rights to imprison you for smoking because you told the policeman to FO.

This is a valid topic, it helps people to watch out for a scam.

posting details of the scam may help others to avoid it.

Why do you mention video 2ce? he didn't have a camera with him at the time.

You told a Thai policeman to FO?

You were lucky not to be locked up and you would have fully deserved it. Of course it wouldn't matter that you don't smoke, but the police would be fully within their rights to imprison you for smoking because you told the policeman to FO.

He said he was going to make a video of the scam (if you read every thread you would relise this) I just wondered if he did make the video

Yes I did, I just said FO, (he obviously didnt understand slang)

would have been fun trying to fine a non smoker for smoking, dont you think

He said he was going to make a video of the scam (if you read every thread you would relise this) I just wondered if he did make the video

If the police were not carrying out the scam in the same place the next day, a video is unlikely don't you think?

If they can fine a motorcyclist for a passenger not wearing a helmet, when he doesn't have a passenger. When they can fine a person for speeding when they weren't. When they can make the owner of a legally parked car pay for the damage to a car driven into it by an idiot driver................Can they fine a non-smoker for smoking? What do you think?

He said he was going to make a video of the scam (if you read every thread you would relaise this) I just wondered if he did make the video

If the police were not carrying out the scam in the same place the next day, a video is unlikely don't you think? I dont know, he said he was going to make the video, and apparently the scam was being done over a couple of days

If they can fine a motorcyclist for a passenger not wearing a helmet, when he doesn't have a passenger. When they can fine a person for speeding when they weren't. When they can make the owner of a legally parked car pay for the damage to a car driven into it by an idiot driver................Can they fine a non-smoker for smoking? What do you think? no because I didnt get fined

Geez mate. He said he would try to make a video, but obviously it would be difficult to capture this rare type of scam on camera, wouldn't it?

As a full time Pattaya motorcyclist I really appreciate other members talking about police scams around town.

Perhaps you're just flapping here, but if you actually told a Pattaya policeman to FO, you're a fool, not a hero. They could have very easily locked you up for quite awhile without evidence.

Edited by tropo

Geez mate. He said he would try to make a video, but obviously it would be difficult to capture this rare type of scam on camera, wouldn't it?

As a full time Pattaya motorcyclist I really appreciate other members talking about police scams around town.

Right on.

Let me clear a few things up for some of you.

1) It did not become my life mission to catch this guy. I just said I would like to if given the chance. I've checked a few times and could not catch him doing the same thing. If I can catch him, I'll film it. If not, you all know it's going on and if you get caught the same way, don't say I didn't warn ya.

2) I simply made the first post to inform you guys so maybe, just maybe, you would not end up paying 400baht like I did. Not to mention, where will the scam stop? Maybe today it's a hooker jumping on your bike for a 400b fine, but maybe in two months when Pattaya is at deaths door with nobody here and everyone is totally broke, he may "find" a bag of weed under your seat and it costs you 20,000k (or much more) to clear that mess up. There is just no telling how low they will go as their money slips away along with tourism. That's really the point to all of this.

2) I simply made the first post to inform you guys so maybe, just maybe, you would not end up paying 400baht like I did. Not to mention, where will the scam stop? Maybe today it's a hooker jumping on your bike for a 400b fine, but maybe in two months when Pattaya is at deaths door with nobody here and everyone is totally broke, he may "find" a bag of weed under your seat and it costs you 20,000k (or much more) to clear that mess up. There is just no telling how low they will go as their money slips away along with tourism. That's really the point to all of this.

Absolutely! The way it's looking now anything is possible. The drug scam would be a breeze for them to pull off. It's their word against ours. If a person had a choice of going to jail for a length of time or pay 20K (for example) to stay free, the choice would be pretty clear for most.

That was a dirty rotten scam they pulled on you and I would had a difficult time remaining calm myself if it had happened to me. You did ok.

... Life is much more enjoyable when you roll with the punches and live and learn.

Isn't that pretty much what Chamberlain was saying in 1938?! Why have any laws, or strike out against any type of injustice, if that's your attitude? Just let anyone who wants to knock you on your ass and take your wallet do so. Is that it? Does this also apply to how women should react to rape and/or domestic abuse?

It is a matter of degrees. Spending hours fussing and fuming because you got taken for $14 instead of continuing to enjoy your expensive vacation... Just doesn't make sense to me. If the cost or damage is high enough, well you have to know which battles to pick. Or at least feel I have to. If the thief makes me lose quality time and enjoyment, he has beaten me twice.

Life is too short.

thinking of all the replies that are here.

every one in thailand must have done something wrong.

but feel happy about it, you can drive on and on, even without a driverlisence(sorry for spelling)

and you can get cought as many times and you can always buy the the driverlisence back.

in european or other countris in the world you will not be alowed to drive on. also if it hapens to much then you will be never able to get back your driverlicence.

an i think that 400.- baht(14 USD / 8.5 EUR) is not the end of the world.

i eat more in an evening for that money....

I thought only the driver on a motorbike was required to wear a helmet :D

True in Cambodia but not here. At least I don't think so, but then it's up to them anyway.

When I was stopped (wearing cap) with Thai GF on the back with no cap, she got the ticket and not me. He wouldn't accept 200 and it cost her 400 in the station (same as farang) so, yes, why did the driver get a ticket - for what?

Always been the rule elsewhere that the driver wears a helmet. Has someone changed the rules? Or is it all part of the scam?

Disgusting scam by the way.

Makes you wonder what will be next?

Why does this surprise some people! :D It's a Military controlled Country going quickly down the urinal because of the World recession and their little old power struggle to come.

After spending a Month there the beaches are filthy, near empty and Beach road is TEEMING with prostitutes everywhere.

No surprise the Police are doing this. What's next :):D Land repo for 'dodgy' Thai companies and harder visas...where's my crystal ball gone.

I dont care what you or anyone else says. The outside lane will always be the lane on the outside of the roadway. The inside lane will always be the lane on the inside of the roadway. Anything else is either N. American or just plain old doesnt make sense (so obviously N. American). :D

Nice enlightened attitude mate. I take it you've lived and driven in every country in the world for at least 10 years so that you are familiar with their traffic laws?

FYI in the UK we drive on the left (same as Thailand) and in a dual carriageway situation the lane closest to the median strip is the outside lane (also known as the fast/overtaking lane). Slow traffic on the left, progressively faster as you get closer to the outside lane (by the median strip). If someone overtakes you on your left hand side it is known as being overtaken on the inside.

Just my 2p worth - I know you don't care what I say :) , but the law is the law.

Have a nice day !!!

I dont care what you or anyone else says. The outside lane will always be the lane on the outside of the roadway. The inside lane will always be the lane on the inside of the roadway. Anything else is either N. American or just plain old doesnt make sense (so obviously N. American). :D

Nice enlightened attitude mate. I take it you've lived and driven in every country in the world for at least 10 years so that you are familiar with their traffic laws?

FYI in the UK we drive on the left (same as Thailand) and in a dual carriageway situation the lane closest to the median strip is the outside lane (also known as the fast/overtaking lane). Slow traffic on the left, progressively faster as you get closer to the outside lane (by the median strip). If someone overtakes you on your left hand side it is known as being overtaken on the inside.

Just my 2p worth - I know you don't care what I say :) , but the law is the law.

Have a nice day !!!