Jungceylon Foodhall

chiang mai

Load up your cash card at the Food Hall, order and pay for your food and finally go and get a drink from the drinks counter. Order your drink and let the girl swipe your cash card and she turns and says, "card empty now" and keeps it. Many people would be inclined to simply walk away I would guess but since I order the same dishes every time and I know the cost, I challenged the girl. Her response is to produce another card with a zero balance, run it through the swipe machine and prove that you are wrong - the scam only seems to be in operation where cards have a small balance remaining but must be a nice little earner for her when multiplied out over the course of a day. The individual amounts are small but the principle involved is large.

In addition of this (which I did not experience) the food center is expensive, the food is nothing special - to say the least - and there is a lot of mosquitoes down there. Been there once in the beginning and never came back. :)

In addition of this (which I did not experience) the food center is expensive, the food is nothing special - to say the least - and there is a lot of mosquitoes down there. Been there once in the beginning and never came back. :)

Sadly I disagree - it's too cold for mossies, some of the food is very good (I think) and it's sensibly priced, for Phuket at least.

Agree totally. When compared to the same style of food hall anywhere else, such as Central or Big C the food is nothing special and almost double the price. That's no excuse for steeling peoples money though!

Scams scams and more scams from thes short sighted dishonest people.

Mark your own card with your initilas..and point this out to the greedy scamming idiots...and how much you have spent,with your receipt in hand.

It's fun seeing these people lose face.

Do the same when they forget the 1 or 2 baht change for gasoline at the pumps when filling up.

same as with the frequently wrongly totalled bill.

Chalenge them repeatedly and vote with your feet.

Mark your own card with your initilas..and point this out to the greedy scamming idiots...and how much you have spent,with your receipt in hand.

Do the same when they forget the 1 or 2 baht change for gasoline at the pumps when filling up.

Strange Barney,

None of those things seem to happen to me. Maybe something to do with your attitude?

Strange Barney,

None of those things seem to happen to me. Maybe something to do with your attitude?

I think it's probably about peaks and troughs. I seem to go for long periods of time where everything works the way it should and then all of a sudden I'll come across two or three sets of circumstances where I realize someone is trying to fleece me, usually only small change activities but enough to thoroughly p*ss me off, sounds like Barney might be in one of those troughs currently. Actually, the Junceylon incident was the third in a week, the other two being:

The gas station attendant in rush hour who hurriedly started to fill up my car having just put fifty baht's worth of gas into a motor bike petrol tank and "forgot" to reset the meter on the pump - and my all time favorite which comes around every three months, the Immigration Officer who asked me to pay towards the cost of photocopying my passport after filing notification of 90 day stay (Patong), I hate that one to death. Let's hope that's it for a while.

Could possibly be the person didnt put the full amount on your card, or the person that took money for your food charged too much....unless of course you saw the girl at the drinks actually swipe a different card.....maybe a genuine mistake ???

Could possibly be the person didnt put the full amount on your card, or the person that took money for your food charged too much....unless of course you saw the girl at the drinks actually swipe a different card.....maybe a genuine mistake ???

Sorry, perhaps should have added at the outset that this happened to me on three separate occasions before I finally challenged the girl at the drinks counter. Interestingly, since that challenge she obviously remembers me because she now returns my cash card to me without comment but I do wonder how others fare.

Junkceylon is the name the British gave Phuket when they were empire building.

I believe that is incorrect.

Its suggetsed that Chinese records use that name as early as 317AD and perhaps Cladius Ptolemy used it in 157AD. I am sceptical about that but in any case the name was well established long before Britain's involvement or interest in the island.

As a matter of interest relating to British involvement Francis Light had suggested Phuket or Penang for a british trading post and eventually Penang was chosen and possession taken in 1786. Often it is suggested that he warned Phuket of a burmese invasion ('as he was passing') giving rise to the Heroines fable. This fable of course ignores / glosses over Light's decade long presence on the island and numerous other invasions by the Burmese (before and after this).

However the activities of the British in Phuket were in any case quite late even compared to other europeans (amongst other things Phuket having a French Governor 100 years previously).

Although the British had planned to invade Phuket during WWII - which might have been interesting for those moaning about national park fees.

I believe that is incorrect.

Its suggetsed that Chinese records use that name as early as 317AD and perhaps Cladius Ptolemy used it in 157AD. I am sceptical about that but in any case the name was well established long before Britain's involvement or interest in the island.

As a matter of interest relating to British involvement Francis Light had suggested Phuket or Penang for a british trading post and eventually Penang was chosen and possession taken in 1786. Often it is suggested that he warned Phuket of a burmese invasion ('as he was passing') giving rise to the Heroines fable. This fable of course ignores / glosses over Light's decade long presence on the island and numerous other invasions by the Burmese (before and after this).

However the activities of the British in Phuket were in any case quite late even compared to other europeans (amongst other things Phuket having a French Governor 100 years previously).

Although the British had planned to invade Phuket during WWII - which might have been interesting for those moaning about national park fees.

:) India, China, Burma, Malaysia, Singapore....didnt really want it old boy :D

Edited by PatinBKk

I believe the general moaning is about being ripped off, not necessarily about the fees/costs

:) India, China, Burma, Malaysia, Singapore....didnt really want it old boy :D

not sure i understand you or perhaps that you do not understand why they had planned it and why they did not go through with it

The current spelling used by the company is Jungceylon hence my confusion & assumptions on why you spelt it with a k.

http://www.jungceylon.com/

I have never seen any of the staff try the card rip off at Big C but there are many instances of short changing all over & no doubt will increase given hard economic times. In many places the cashier is ripping off the boss as seen by nothing being charged up in the till & so they must pocket the money at a convenient time.

Sadly I disagree - it's too cold for mossies, some of the food is very good (I think) and it's sensibly priced, for Phuket at least.

Even more sad than you, prices 50% higher there than Banzaan food hall, and quality very low in JC.