Battered Tourism Sector Seeks Urgent Government Help

george

Good luck Thailand, I still love you !

Really? Well I don't!!! I moved away last November after 4 years living in the Kingdom. Even within that amount of time things became progressively more difficult and expensive for us 'farangs'. The lack of vision from the Thai government is the cause of this latest mess and IMHO you reap what you sow.

Edited by M8FYU

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

- Visa policy (every other major country requires visas e.g. China, India, UK, Euro, Australia and of course the most difficult of them all - USA)

That is all wrong!

For tourism more than 30 days for westerners? There are many, many, many major countries where you just hop on the plane, mate, and stay as long as three to six months!

The USA. Hard? No! 90 days VISA FREE for passport holders from these countries:

the United Kingdom, Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium Brunei, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland

Also

the Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Slovakia and the Republic of Korea may be eligible to travel to the United States visa free under the Visa Waiver Program if they are traveling for business, pleasure or are in transit, are in possession of an electronic passport,

Edited by Jingthing

How does 165000 to 27000 equate to a 33.45% drop? Even if this statistic was meant to be a drop "OF" 27000, it does not add up. This is wildly wrong or else I an misinterpreting "year on year".......

Anyone?

Hmmm my math... a drop of 611%, in as 27000 goes into 165000 6.11 times....

OR... this year is 16.3 % of what the previous year was...

Airport closures, riots, global economic recession, and now H1N1.... What's next???

SEAFOOD FLU HA HA HA, it serves them right they brought it on themselves!!! I have no pity for them the same as they feel for us farangs. LAND OF "FALSE" SMILES!!! I am going in October and cant wait to see there gloomy faces.

there are far too many people in this thread mixing up 'tourism' with 'residency'. what attracts tourists to thailand is not the same thing as what brings residents and retirees in. it's a global perception issue that tourists have rather than the minutiae of living here day to day and all the travails that go with that. top level = political instability, risk of riots, airport closures and that's about it. every tourist destination in the world has its scare stories of police corruption, muggings, drownings, the odd disease outbreak and what have you. they're incidental to the average tourist, they just believe what the foreign office tells them. thailand needs to improve its public message about this being a safe and stable country to come to which is beautiful and full of lovely people. everything after that is very secondary.

Agree completely. Have just returned from first visit to Thailand and found it to be great value for money. I'm Irish and got a really good fare with Malaysian Airlines from Dublin via Heathrow and Kuala Lumpur to Phuket. Got really good hotels for a fraction of what they would cost in Europe and food and drink were also considerably cheaper than almost anywhere in Europe (I travel a lot in Europe....Thank You Ryanair). So overall I had a cheaper 3 week holiday in Thailand than I could possibly have had in Europe. So Thailang is still a low cost travel destination. But people simply aren't travelling because of the global economic situation. Confidence is way down and what money people have they are holding onto because of future uncertainty. There were only 20 people on my flight from Kuala Lumpur to Phuket (boeing 737-400). Many of the comments here pertain to residents not holiday makers as the average holiday maker has no knowledge of, or interest in owning property or visa regulations etc.

The Thai Baht is not the problem. What many have failed to recognise is that the $ and GB£ have plummeted in value which is hardly the Thais fault. Both the $ and GB£ have devalued about 30% against the euro (making UK and USA low cost destinations for euro travellers) but the Baht has remained relatively stable against the euro.

But the bad publicity surrounding airport closures, riots, political instability, the ASEAN summit fiasco, the killing of the guy on his boat by fishermen etc have all taken have all given a perception of an unsafe destination.

Add to this the international publicity that surrounded, and the perception that resulted from, the guy prevented from boarding his flight in Phuket because somebody wrongly believed his passport to be false and the fact that he then spent so long in a Thai prison even after his passport was shown to be genuine. Or the aussie woman held in custody for stealing a bar mat. I'm not commenting on whether these people were authors of their own misfortune or not I'm merely commenting on the perception of Thailand that these cases made internationally. And remember that to the average tourist looking at a holiday destination in a brochure, perception is everything.

Anyway, from a personal perspective I loved Thailand. I found the people to be helpful, courteous and gracious. The scenery and beaches are beautiful and the weather (though a tad hot for me) wonderful. I only have 2 complaints though perhaps not enough to put me off a return visit.

(1) As a single 52 year old male I was immediately assumed to be a sex tourist by all (farang and Thai alike) and was treated as something of an oddity for not having a dolly bird (or guy) half my age on my arm.

(2) I had several conversations (nothing more) with a Thai woman working in the hotel I stayed in on Samui and lo and behold 3 days after I got home I got the "Sick Buffalo" SMS. I can only presume she got my phone no. from hotel records. I haven't replied or sent money

Yes there Buffalo's always get sick I blame it on the (H1-N1) flu hahaha.

there are far too many people in this thread mixing up 'tourism' with 'residency'. what attracts tourists to thailand is not the same thing as what brings residents and retirees in. it's a global perception issue that tourists have rather than the minutiae of living here day to day and all the travails that go with that. top level = political instability, risk of riots, airport closures and that's about it. every tourist destination in the world has its scare stories of police corruption, muggings, drownings, the odd disease outbreak and what have you. they're incidental to the average tourist, they just believe what the foreign office tells them. thailand needs to improve its public message about this being a safe and stable country to come to which is beautiful and full of lovely people. everything after that is very secondary.

Agree completely. Have just returned from first visit to Thailand and found it to be great value for money. I'm Irish and got a really good fare with Malaysian Airlines from Dublin via Heathrow and Kuala Lumpur to Phuket. Got really good hotels for a fraction of what they would cost in Europe and food and drink were also considerably cheaper than almost anywhere in Europe (I travel a lot in Europe....Thank You Ryanair). So overall I had a cheaper 3 week holiday in Thailand than I could possibly have had in Europe. So Thailang is still a low cost travel destination. But people simply aren't travelling because of the global economic situation. Confidence is way down and what money people have they are holding onto because of future uncertainty. There were only 20 people on my flight from Kuala Lumpur to Phuket (boeing 737-400). Many of the comments here pertain to residents not holiday makers as the average holiday maker has no knowledge of, or interest in owning property or visa regulations etc.

The Thai Baht is not the problem. What many have failed to recognise is that the $ and GB£ have plummeted in value which is hardly the Thais fault. Both the $ and GB£ have devalued about 30% against the euro (making UK and USA low cost destinations for euro travellers) but the Baht has remained relatively stable against the euro.

But the bad publicity surrounding airport closures, riots, political instability, the ASEAN summit fiasco, the killing of the guy on his boat by fishermen etc have all taken have all given a perception of an unsafe destination.

Add to this the international publicity that surrounded, and the perception that resulted from, the guy prevented from boarding his flight in Phuket because somebody wrongly believed his passport to be false and the fact that he then spent so long in a Thai prison even after his passport was shown to be genuine. Or the aussie woman held in custody for stealing a bar mat. I'm not commenting on whether these people were authors of their own misfortune or not I'm merely commenting on the perception of Thailand that these cases made internationally. And remember that to the average tourist looking at a holiday destination in a brochure, perception is everything.

Anyway, from a personal perspective I loved Thailand. I found the people to be helpful, courteous and gracious. The scenery and beaches are beautiful and the weather (though a tad hot for me) wonderful. I only have 2 complaints though perhaps not enough to put me off a return visit.

(1) As a single 52 year old male I was immediately assumed to be a sex tourist by all (farang and Thai alike) and was treated as something of an oddity for not having a dolly bird (or guy) half my age on my arm.

(2) I had several conversations (nothing more) with a Thai woman working in the hotel I stayed in on Samui and lo and behold 3 days after I got home I got the "Sick Buffalo" SMS. I can only presume she got my phone no. from hotel records. I haven't replied or sent money

Hogwash (pun intended) :D I'm just getting over a case of the piggy flu and it's no worse than your average flu, in fact quite mild compared to some I've suffered through. The media is causing undue alarm- this is NOT a new virus, just a new strain of Influenza A. And all the talk about mutation and plague is just that- talk. Sure, a virus can mutate, and sure, North Korea could nuke Alaska, and sure an asteroid could hit the planet and wipe us all out. Doesn't mean it's going to happen! Why worry about things that are completely beyond your control? I believe it was the Japanese Zen master Takuan who said, in the face of adversity, "Seek only to be contented"...

Good advice methinks :D

Just out of interest, did you take any meds for it like Tamiflu, or fight it with your own body's defences?

Lots of sleep, lots of liquids and lots of para. A few days of misery and that's that. :)

hooligan,....hahaha, grab another...hahaha...beer and...hahaha drink it qu...hahaha...ick and politely...leave the forum. hahaha. Thank you.

Clean up the sex industry and the image it is giving to the world of thailand. They can have one but take it of the streets and the in your face way it is at the moment put it behind closed doors like all other civilised countries.

Oh dear- right- so you're saying that tourists don't want to come to Thailand because there are too many sexy girls out on the streets... :)

Let's get them all behind closed doors like those "civilized" countries and the tourists will return en mass.

amsterdamprostitute-red-light-district-girl.jpg

BTW, what planet are you from? :D:D:D

somebody is keeping the baht one of the strongest currencies in the world which does not add up!!!!

15 percent tax has been added to fuel alcohol and cigarettes with these things and the fact the bars and resteraunts have put there own prices up to cover for the loss in trade, its cheaper to stay at home.

The thai government are in dream land if they think they can still treat the ferang like endless atms !!!!

There is not a country in the world at the moment where the tourism sector is happy. This is solely the cause of the current global economic crisis and really waste of time complaining to the government. In reality Tourists wouldn't even notice Thailand's polices about

- Visa policy (every other major country requires visas e.g. China, India, UK, Euro, Australia and of course the most difficult of them all - USA)

- Scams by rogue people. (Like what country in the world doesn't this happen in?)

- Different prices for hotels for different people (hasn't anyone ever holidayed in another country or travelled on a airplane?)

- racism and corruption (again what country in the world doesn't have these problems?)

- Owning land (Why would a tourist care about that?)

- Alcohol prices (Well perhaps if you're only interested in drinking day and night- are these tourists that anyone really wants?)

Kickin' post ! Nail on head, IMO !

People simply can't afford to come to Thailand when they're worried about whether they'll have a job upon their return. Those that do make it here for their 2 or 4 week jollies are mostly happy dishing out 100 baht for a beer - it's £2 <deleted> :)

75 baht for 20 Marly Lights - it's £1.50 versus £6.50 :D in Blighty

I was here for the red-shirt nonsense but not for one nano-second did I feel threatened. I was on a motorbike taxi at the junction of Asoke and Sukhumvit returning from a night on the lash at some ungodly hour of the morning and, whilst at the lights, I looked around at a sea of red-shirts, all on scooters and probably heading off to the riots. They just looked over, smiled . . . and said they loved my trainers :D before zooming off and waving goodbye. Not a hint of racism there . . . and I'm black !

Most of these gripes are, understandably, from expats and yes, they've got a point but the truth remains that if they're so disenchanted with the country and its topsy-turvy laws, they don't have to stay here.

I've seen farangs here act like complete tossers. They swagger around, half-cut showing little or no respect for the Thai girls or giving a monkey's whether or not she's with a boyfriend or something. It's as if every Thai woman has a price and all they've gotta do is keep bidding.

The only time I've been ripped off was on the day I arrived. Got in a taxi who charged me 500 baht to my hotel in Sukhumvit soi 20. The hotelier told me to always insist that the driver use the meter . . . and that was it - haven't been ripped in over a year. Just a matter of keeping your wits about you - like you'd do at home.

The only tourists coming to Thailand these days are the dyslexic market, the ones who thought they were going to Taiwan but booked the wrong ticket !

The govt. seems to be concerned about the fall in tourism but there's never a mention of the resident expat market. By my reckoning an expat who spends 50 weeks a year here and runs a business or supports a family, is worth 25 tourists who come for a fortnight each. And resident expats also tend to attract family and friends to come visit.

Well said! :) I'm what you'd call a "resident expat" and yes- I employ Thais and invest millions of baht into the Thai economy every year. Yet I'm advising friends and family to shop around and look at other destinations as there are definitely better holiday deals than Thailand these days. Sad but true.

Lets remember two things: 1. the world is experiencing its greatest depression since the 1930s so Tourism is massively down anyway as people, companies and countries unravel their debt.

2. Thailand allowed 1000s of demonstrators to occupy its international airport & ministers fled Pattaya in helicopters ( come on boys its not that bad) and the PM in his presidential car was seen surrounded by mobs of demonstrators so Thailand is perceived as having little serious security.

Its depressing to read all that hatred, dissapointment and satisfaction about the situation.

Never forget, intelligent people are able to adapt - even if it means to leave...

... and still, like many, I loooove Thailand and my family.

Thats said after much more then just a year or two.

maxi

Just spoke with a friend whom I had recommended to him to visit Thailand.

His biggest concerns were his health (flu) and the possibility of quarantine (flu).

Does anyone know what you currently face as a tourist when you arrive??? i.e.

Thermal Scanner……What is the threshold for a tourist or a plane load of tourists

to be quarantined and for how long…..just imagine you’re trying to plan the

trip of a life time with these concerns….

I've seen farangs here act like complete tossers. They swagger around, half-cut showing little or no respect for the Thai girls ....................

This is a typical anti-farang rant.

I don't spend much time in Pattaya nowadays, but I often used to frequent the bars an yes, I'd see the occasional farang tosser.

I'd see some harmless boisterousness, but mostly I'd see thousands of farangs enjoying themselves and annoying no-one.

Where do you people go where the streets are full of drunken loudmouthed farangs, getting into bother and being a nuisance? I must go to different places to you.

Alcohol prices (Well perhaps if you're only interested in drinking day and night- are these tourists that anyone really wants?)

Judging by the number of bars, I would have to say yes, they target tourists who like to drink.

Sorry.. I think it must have been all my fault, came back from LOS in May to tell everyone I knew how expensive everything was, beers more expensive than London, rip offs at every corner and even the banks joining in on the scam the farang 24/7 scheme.

But still all you hear is that Thailand is a poor country and very cheap when you are there, there is a growing gaping void between reality in Thailand, and it seems you have to leave it to see it.

Thailand is not poor, nor is it cheap, in fact it's probably the most expensive long haul destination from Europe outside of Japan you could find.

The end is nigh!!!

A lot of people have said that some of the points raised here are expat issues and not related to tourism.

Well there are a lot of people who come to Thailand 2 or 3 times a year, or 6 months in Thailand, 6 months in their home country. I suppose you can call them part time expats.

I know quite a few people like this and they must be good for Thailand, they regularly contribute to the economy and also encourage other people to come to Thailand.

These people definitely meet the criteria as tourists, but they are also aware of what is happening in Thailand and, rightly or wrongly, they are starting to feel unwelcome here. Also, it's not so cheap anymore and coupled with the exchange rate, they're having to cut back.

So many of these tourists are changing their habits. Some still like Thailand, but figure if they have to leave the country because of the visa regulations, they may as well spend some of their time (and money) in Cambodia. Many of them are spending more time in Cambodia than in Thailand and some of them are now giving Thailand a miss altogether.

They may not all be big spenders, mostly they have a budget of 50K to 150K Baht per month, but they help the Thai tourist industry tick over during the slow periods. Now of course, many of them are helping the Cambodian tourist industry.

How does 165000 to 27000 equate to a 33.45% drop? Even if this statistic was meant to be a drop "OF" 27000, it does not add up. This is wildly wrong or else I an misinterpreting "year on year".......

Anyone?

Hmmm my math... a drop of 611%, in as 27000 goes into 165000 6.11 times....

OR... this year is 16.3 % of what the previous year was...

Airport closures, riots, global economic recession, and now H1N1.... What's next???

SEAFOOD FLU HA HA HA, it serves them right they brought it on themselves!!! I have no pity for them the same as they feel for us farangs. LAND OF "FALSE" SMILES!!! I am going in October and cant wait to see there gloomy faces.

Hmmm, well with such perverted views, an ***hole like you has I guess relatively few places you can go...believe it or not most people don't go on holiday to see gloomy faces of the locals.

The Nazi's could have sold people like you live tours of Auschwitz...and no doubt you would have been queuing up afterward for a job.

In all the time I have spent in Thailand, not one company has ever contacted me (apart from Bangkok Air) with any form of offer or incentive to book with them in the future.

I suggest each company involved in the tourist industry starts looking at their own marketing strategy and start directing their efforts at targeting past customers, and not rely on customers coming to them, go out and find them!.E mails cost nothing to send and nowadays most companies have a database of past customers.

ya i think the first positive post in this thread lol

constructive criticism is good if they use it.

i travel once a month to a NE city where i book one of the best suites in the best hotel. they never remember me. my wife and i eat at the restaurant of our local 5-star hotel 3x a week but my name there is still farang. people in other 3rd world countries (like Mexico) always ask my name AND REMEMBER IT. Thai people just want the money that comes with my white face. "farang" is easier to remember.

(we truly are all tourists here) even my home country of America lets people call themselves Americans after they jump through some hoops. nobody wants the farangs here to stay - and its starting to show. but i digress...

regarding tourism marketing, one thing you never see here is all-inclusive anything. you think it would be easy for Thai Air to get together with Tourism and create some affordable all-inclusive vacations.

but hey, we're thinking outside the box. that's not the Thai way lol

Sorry.. I think it must have been all my fault, came back from LOS in May to tell everyone I knew how expensive everything was, beers more expensive than London, rip offs at every corner and even the banks joining in on the scam the farang 24/7 scheme.

But still all you hear is that Thailand is a poor country and very cheap when you are there, there is a growing gaping void between reality in Thailand, and it seems you have to leave it to see it.

Thailand is not poor, nor is it cheap, in fact it's probably the most expensive long haul destination from Europe outside of Japan you could find.

The end is nigh!!!

Oh come on !!!!!

Beers more expensive than London????

I never paid more than 80 baht for a heineken and sometimes cheaper and that was in good, well established bars not small roadside shacks.

If prices seemed high it's because the value of the glorious GB£ has fallen through the floor against many other currencys and so you have far less purchasing power outside the UK. When you get your economy back in order and the value of your currency improves prices outside the UK won't seem so high.

I don't believe I was scammed or ripped off once in 3 weeks there. I bargained and haggled until I was happy with the price.

As for the ATM charge. Oops sorry didn't pay it once. I used "Ayudhya ATM's". No charge and they are everywhere.

Theres much more to add than that but nobody want lose face... right? I was thinking about visa policies and the attitude towards foreigners in general...

Now they reap what they sow and cry loud!

i agree 100% with you on this one .... my parents were supposed to come here in june , but instead decided to go to St Marteen as according to my mother at least over there they don't get ripped off, don't need visa , and are treated like normal people and not walking ATM's, my dad of course tried tro change the plans but evidence was there: in St Marteen they will have a real vacation , and not constantly be fighting not to get cheated on , not to mention that to come to Thailand they needed 80 000 miles per person for the ticket , when for st marteen it was only 60 000 miles .....

they may come here again , eventually when Thai Airways will decide to make fares at NORMAL prices .....

I can't say I really believe that statement. I live in Hong Kong and visit Thailand frequently. I always ask my travel agent to book my wife and I the lowest cost tickets, which normally is China Airlines. Next month however, we are flying TG, they are quoting the best fares!

Capt. Jack

As a once frequent tourist to Thailand I returned there after a break of 3 years last Jan/Dec and even after factoring in the effect of a weak GB-pound against the Baht I was surprised at the price rises which seemed to have taken place during my absense. True enough, at times I too drank and dined out realising that often the same would have been cheaper in the UK.

To be honest though and of greater effect I felt as if the traders and bar workers, etc. seem to have lost a good deal of sanook and it was this which I feel tempered my thoughts or maybe triggered a rosy nostalgia for passed travels. Perhaps it is my personal view but Thailand just didn't seem as much "fun" any more as a quiet desperation appeared to replace the mai-pen-rai attitude.

It may sound bad on this forum but 2 months seemed the adequate length for my stay as the love-hate relationship I have developed for Thailand was swinging to the latter. I was fully visa-ed up and cashed for a 6 month stay if I had wanted.

With the above in mind I would struggle to recommend the place to friends or family as a place to holiday in the current economic situation. Where once cheapness/value could be used as a leverage against the negatives this is no longer in place.

And although I will be heading to Thailand soon it is to see a girlfriend rather than the country itself.

Seven years ago my uk company ran an incentive trip to Bangkok and the offices were buzzing with excitement. We decided to offer Thailand again as a destination for our best sales people. The deal is hit target get flights for you plus one to los inc two nights peninsula bkk and up to a week on private 50 foot aircon skippered yacht in k chang or samui. Target plus and travel biz class.

Not a single person who has qualified out of 15 so far has shown interest in taking up the offer. The only catch is they have to take the time as part of holiday. They are all young - late 20s. For these people Thailand is not a brand any more. It takes a long time to build a brand and a very short time to destroy one - looks like Thailand has done a "ratner".

SOM NAM NAH !!

They did expect everything back to normal even after shutting down airports etc etc . Told you back in those days , people who go to holiday DO keep thhose things in mind . Everything put together a 33% drop seems even very little ( the 165000 to 27000 needs to be 127000 probably ) . Well , i'm not putting more words into it then the words above .... They seem to know anything better anyway . I would guess a rise in price of 33% will settle the amount of tourist dropped , so no problem . :)

Anyone?

the huge drop of numbers from 165000 to 27000 were just over this month but overall 33.45% drop for the year......the thing is it is now into the low season so expect this to get worse.......or better for some if you like it better that way. bugger the numbers, less people the better I reckon. still waiting for the baht to drop. will it ever happen?

A lot of people have said that some of the points raised here are expat issues and not related to tourism.

Well there are a lot of people who come to Thailand 2 or 3 times a year, or 6 months in Thailand, 6 months in their home country. I suppose you can call them part time expats.

I know quite a few people like this and they must be good for Thailand, they regularly contribute to the economy and also encourage other people to come to Thailand.

These people definitely meet the criteria as tourists, but they are also aware of what is happening in Thailand and, rightly or wrongly, they are starting to feel unwelcome here. Also, it's not so cheap anymore and coupled with the exchange rate, they're having to cut back.

So many of these tourists are changing their habits. Some still like Thailand, but figure if they have to leave the country because of the visa regulations, they may as well spend some of their time (and money) in Cambodia. Many of them are spending more time in Cambodia than in Thailand and some of them are now giving Thailand a miss altogether.

They may not all be big spenders, mostly they have a budget of 50K to 150K Baht per month, but they help the Thai tourist industry tick over during the slow periods. Now of course, many of them are helping the Cambodian tourist industry.

Good point........call them what you want, resident expats on tourist visas or resident tourists on tourist visas......many simple decided, after 9 years of the social engineering program enacted by immigration, that enough was enough.

They also got tired of TAT's focus on quality tourism, the real estate hounds focus on convincing people that places like Pattaya-Jomtien would morph into Monaco, the rise in xenophobia, and the artificial prices rises.

Now they are in the Philippines or Cambodia or Malaysia, etc., spending their money. What many people continue to forget, is that prior to this they were in places like Pattaya-Jomtien, spending their money and helping the local economies survive, especially during the low season.

Now it is the perfect storm.......so many factors coming together to push tourists away. It will be interesting to see if they can get back in the upcoming high season most of what they have lost in the low season.

The unfortunate fact is that, had they done nothing to the visa rules, the situation would be better for businesses in places like Pattaya-Jomtien. How much better.......I don't know for sure.........but I do know it would have been better.

There is also the matter of anti-foreign-small-business formation and protectionism rules.........this has been taking place for decades. Had those rules not have been in place, Thailand would be more like Japan or Singapore today.......and there would be far more quality jobs for young graduates.

Oh well...........TIT. Good luck with the same type of thinking..........