Uk Passport Office/ British Embassy Cockup

somchai69

Having lived in Thailand for the last 20 years, my passports have been renewed at the embassy in Bangkok,

without any incident.

Currently I am in the UK and decided to renew my passport here.

I thought it would be easier.

The passport office in Durham has called to say that according to their records

I have 4 current passports..................

Presumably the embassy has been issuing me new passports without

cancelling the old one on the computer.

So much for Security and controlling the issue of such documents.

An open door for terrorists??

You are assuming passports only get renewed through old age.

The way Thai Immigration stamps, plus visa stickers,

a passport does not last me more that 5 years max.

How long does the Brit Embassy normally take to renew and issue a passport ? Assuming you haven't got 4 already :)

I have applied for a new one on the 10th June........... got to pick it up on the 24th June (10 working days) 48 page passport 8700 baht

How long does the Brit Embassy normally take to renew and issue a passport ? Assuming you haven't got 4 already :)

I have applied for a new one on the 10th June........... got to pick it up on the 24th June (10 working days) 48 page passport 8700 baht

Cheers for the info - I was going to wait until I got back to the UK for a holiday next month , maybe I will do it here instead !

Dont be surprised if Mohamed comes a-knocking - they need guys like you.

BR>Jack

I renewed mine in LA - went to DC - it took 10 days worth of endorsed pix, back & forth to finally get it.

They actually called one of the babes - the one who was most naked - she said he was a complete professional - flirt.

Thats OK - anything to keep them off the jets. This was prior to.

You can legally hold up to four British passports, it used to be six (until June 1st 2009) (Wikipedia is out-of-date) but you need a sound reason for doing so.

For example a letter from your overseas employer, or another good reason ie. Arabian/Israel travel etc.

This is not a right, just discretion of the issuing authority, but I have had no problems with multiple passports in BKK.

Cheers for the info - I was going to wait until I got back to the UK for a holiday next month , maybe I will do it here instead !

Certainly if you have sufficient time in the UK, and they say three weeks though I think it's quicker, it'd a good idea to renew it there, on price alone.

A standard passport costs £72 in the UK and £124 in Thailand with a jumbo passport costing £85 in the UK against £150 in Thailand.

Edited for typo

Edited by theoldgit

Certainly if you have sufficient time in the UK, and they say three weeks though I think it's quicker, it'd a good idea to renew it there, on price alone.

A standard passport costs £72 in the UK and £124 in Thailand with a jumbo passport costing £85 in the UK against £150 in Thailand.

Edited for typo

Check the passport office website because there are different ways of getting a new passport at different prices. The last one I had renewed was done same day (4 hours ? if I remember) but you have to book a slot by phone maybe a week before and of course pay more. I think it still works out cheaper than getting one in BKK.

BR>Jack

I renewed mine in LA - went to DC - it took 10 days worth of endorsed pix, back & forth to finally get it.

They actually called one of the babes - the one who was most naked - she said he was a complete professional - flirt.

No offence, but I find many of your posts utterly unintelligible.

BR>Jack

No offence, but I find many of your posts utterly unintelligible.

Well if you look at his monikor, "Jack Daniels", this may explain the reason why the posts are unintelligble..he may indulge in his name-sake a little to often in the morning... :)