Looking For A Tool To Convert Video Files To Mp4.

Richb2004v2

As a relative new comer to Linux I have managed to get Linux to everything I do on my MS machine, including copy DVDs. However, yesterday I discovered some new and useful tools for my MS system. I got help with them in the Internet forum here. I found a tool to convert video from various formats (mainly AVI) to mp4 to use on my i-pod. The same tool will download from Youtube. I was using 'free studio manager' on XP which is great. I have done a search for something similar but only found complicated instructions involving a lot of terminal commands. I am really looking for something that downloads easily and installs without fuss, like k3b did for DVD copying.

Any ideas?

Oh dear I answered you in the general forum about your DVD question, but this is a slightly longer answer.

Have you used "Miro" at all for your video audio / flv source and use acidrip for the conversion (like all things this takes a while to get used to and will convert video files as well as DVD files and visa versa). I simply use Anarok or RythmBox for the audio (mp3's etc) to listen to the Ipod or put music on the Ipod simply plug and play.

Edited by joncl

Hi :)

What i have is as follows:

All available codecs (Medibuntu repo in my case as i use Ubuntu)

FFMPEG (the actual converter, despite the name it handles all formats for which codecs are available)

WinFF (graphical/GUI front end for WinFF)

This thing is easy to use, has some nicely usable presets (iPod, various phones etc) plus you can enter your own parameters for format, bit rate and screen size) and it is FAST.

http://www.afreecodec.com/linux/3487/winff/

This combo converts everything to everything and vice-versa.

Kind regards....

Thanh

Any success?? I know Handbrake can do what you are looking for and it has a lot of neat presets for devices like the Ipod.

it has installed fine and looks like it will do the job. I will give it a full test later this evening. One slight problem seems to be with the screen size of my Asus 901 machine. handbrake does not fit and when I click on an icon the display jump either up or down. I've had this before with some games. Hopefully I can still work with it.

• 2 weeks later...
Any success?? I know Handbrake can do what you are looking for and it has a lot of neat presets for devices like the Ipod.

it has installed fine and looks like it will do the job. I will give it a full test later this evening. One slight problem seems to be with the screen size of my Asus 901 machine. handbrake does not fit and when I click on an icon the display jump either up or down. I've had this before with some games. Hopefully I can still work with it.

You might also try avidemux. Excellent GUI tool (also available on MS, btw) for most all video conversion. I use winff for converting to my mp3 player because it has a preset for the one I got (not an ipod).

Rich, I use ISKYSOFT and IMTOO Converters on my Mac and I put ISYSOFT on my windows computer also and they work fine for converting AVI to MP4. The ones that would not convert I use HANDBRAKE. All pretty simple but sometimes I have trouble when the movies come off in sections they have a problem putting the whole movie into MP4. I do alot of movies as i work offshore and the divers all have PSP's and want to watch movies when in the chamber. Convert into the bigger files or you will have the old japanese effect on your movies where the sound does not match the lips moving. Cheers All!