Budget Accommodation Pattaya

uptheos

Hi Guys. I have posted this on the Phuket forum too, because I'm open to any suggestions.

This is a bit of a long shot but here goes.

After 10 years in Chiangmai, I'm starting to feel a bit landlocked and thinking of trying somewhere else.

I am just one 63 year old person with a very small dog, very clean, who only barks if someone comes to the gate (which is good for security).

What are the chances of renting a small furnished house for under 10,000 Baht, enclosed with a wall or fence (big enough to stop the dog getting out)? I know it doesn't sound a lot of money for Pattaya, but that's all my retirement budget will allow and the house need only be one bedroom if its OK.

I have absolutely no idea of location the town would be OK....suggestions please.

I could possibly pay a year up front for the right deal.

Pleeease any help, advice, where not to live etc, greatly appreciated - or maybe you know someone who has a place to rent out.

Please feel free to pm me.

Cheers :)

Hi Guys. I have posted this on the Phuket forum too, because I'm open to any suggestions.

After 10 years in Chiangmai, I'm starting to feel a bit landlocked and thinking of trying somewhere else.

I am just one 63 year old person with a very small dog, very clean, who only barks if someone comes to the gate (which is good for security).

What are the chances of renting a small furnished house for under 10,000 Baht, enclosed with a wall or fence (big enough to stop the dog getting out)? I know it doesn't sound a lot of money for Pattaya, but that's all my retirement budget will allow and the house need only be one bedroom if its OK.

I have absolutely no idea of location the town would be OK....suggestions please.

Pleeease any help, advice, where not to live etc, greatly appreciated - or maybe you know someone who has a place to rent out.

You have to come down here yourself and there are plenty of smaller houses around 10,000 Bht and even less a month. I was surprised to see all those offers.

Funny enough such a small house is cheaper than many studio apartments.

But you won't find those through most of the real state agents.

Maybe somebody here can help you with real offers.

Good Luck.

Thank you moo9.

I received a similar response on the Phuket forum, so I am feeling more hopeful about being able to get accommodation within my budget.

I haven't lived in either place but have visited briefly. Do you know if there much difference in day to day costs between Pattaya and Phuket (I seldom drink alcohol or go to girlie bars)?

"Believe it or Not" For your good HEALTH and Peace of Mind you might fair much better in CM, Pattaya is the Pity(out house of the Kindgom) in the present day and age. Please check your daily News, ever given Nan, Chaing Rai a thought or just a brief to Phuket or Bali, PI, Japan, Phi Phi Island, just to get away from the LANDLOCK for a little while.

I'd kennel the pooch for a month and go there.

I give 5:1 odds you return to stay in CM.

Pattaya is best taken in small doses.

Small doses? Depends on yourself!

For me there are just 3 places in Thailand I would stay: Pattaya, BKK, Phuket.

Check the local Pattaya newspapers online? Maybe you will find what you want.

good hunting :)

Mostly overpriced on many agent ads.

Better take a few days and go thorugh the small Sois looking out for signs "For rent". Best bargains!

Check the local Pattaya newspapers online? Maybe you will find what you want.

good hunting :)

Mostly overpriced on many agent ads.

Better take a few days and go thorugh the small Sois looking out for signs "For rent". Best bargains!

No need to go in the small sois. I rent a big single house (can park 5 cars in my driveway for only 11'k in Jomtien Area. There are possible to find, just come and look around.

Come on down - get a a/c room on 2nd road near soi 7/8 for ~290 per night. Go over to Pattaya Klang near the beach and rent a motobike for 100 per day (1000 deposit + bargain and offer nothing more than 100 per day)

Then be ready to do your homework. Drive up and down every soi between the beach and Sukhumvit road. You will see many for rent signs but only a phone number. So don't be shy and give some calls. Be ready to bargain and offer LOW prices because this place is dead now. Buyers/Renters market. Don't call any real estate agent cuz in this environment they'll fleece you. Agents gotta eat too but as always ......Up to you......

Loads of sub 10k property but you're going to trade something off at that level, usually location. A 2 bed semi or town house off Khao Talo can be had for around 7k and up and a westerner can live in that. It will probably have an older aircon as well. Get to 10k and you're after a new 2 bed place with totally new fixtures and fittings and you can pick and choose. Head farther afield and you get more for your money, come into town and you get less, usually more Thai style, often without the western mod cons.

I'd avoid the conveyor belt Chokchai stuff with 50 houses all in a line as you'd go potty. Better to get somewhere with some local infrastructure (some bars, food, 7/11 etc.).

You can cost in washing machines and aircons etc. by their depreciation over 12 months. Thus, a washing machine which costs 6k new and can be fairly easily sold for 2k after 12 months has cost 4k for the year which is about Bt300 and a bit per month. Fridges are the same. Don't be put off by a good property which does not have enough inside unless you are going to 10k when it should have everything, incluiding TV and DVD etc.

Thank you for all the helpful information - can I ask what is the Darkside?

From the responses I have received, plus pms - I'm sure I will be able to find something within my budget.

Thanks once again and please post any further information as you feel necessary :)

Try www.Thaiproperty.com

just 9 properties between THB 10,000 - THB 20,000 and all on the dark side of Sukhumvit.

Not a very good option.

You need to open your eyes - There are loads on there in Jomtien and whats wrong with the "darkside" east pattaya?

I also don't what is meant by the dark side

Do you renters have issues with owners or managers who give rent raises after you move in, can you get a rental agreement that guarentees the price, and does it means anything

maybe on the dark side but still too many niggardly thais in pattaya. go elsewhere for a real deal.

the light skinned are in the clover!

Sorry, I didn't get any sense from that post, I'll try again, what's the location of the ' darkside'

And do renters have problems with excessive rent increases

The Darkside or Farside is what is referred to as anything East of Sukhumvit, IMO by far the best area to live in!

Thank you for all the helpful information - can I ask what is the Darkside?

From the responses I have received, plus pms - I'm sure I will be able to find something within my budget.

Thanks once again and please post any further information as you feel necessary :)

Have a look on Google Earth to get an idea of the area. If you have no real need of the nightlife I would recommend what they refer to as the darkside being 4kms plus directly inland from the sea and situated east of the main Sukhumvit Road which runs from Bangkok to Rayong and beyond. You will, however, probably need transport, either a car or motorbike, the bike being the best option for negotiating the heavy traffic in town but car far more secure if going out nighttime as some of the roads can live up to the 'darkside' name! (Ill-lit and frequented by some questionable types). Naklua to the North of the town is quieter and has a fair number of older properties for rent, some certainly in your price range. Jomtien to the South probably has the best (or least worst) beaches. These two options are both more accessible by the local public transport of Songtaews and motorbike taxis.

Spent this afternoon looking at condos for rent at Viewtalay 6 on Pattaya beach with sea view. On a 1 year contract, owners want 25+/month plus utilities. I could understand if this were monthly or for a 3 month deal but for 1 year, I think it's too steep.