Smoking In An Aeroplane

Lucifer

I was watching an episode of Randall and Hopkirk( Deceased), and saw Randall smoking in an aeroplane. The sceen looked SO wrong, and thought, when did they stop the smoking in aeroplanes?

You must be quite young?

I was still able to smoke on Emirates on UK-DBX-BKK flights up until about 6 years ago--Arabs love to puff on a fag! [ just for the Americans!]

Sorry--actually, I think it was 8 years ago--my grey matter befuddled by too much smoking.

Edited by haybilly

I was watching an episode of Randall and Hopkirk( Deceased), and saw Randall smoking in an aeroplane. The sceen looked SO wrong, and thought, when did they stop the smoking in aeroplanes?

You must be quite young?

I was still able to smoke on Emirates on UK-DBX-BKK flights up until about 6 years ago--Arabs love to puff on a fag! [ just for the Americans!]

Sorry--actually, I think it was 8 years ago--my grey matter befuddled by too much smoking.

I agree, not being able to smoke on airplanes is a reatively new development.

To keep it Thai related:

THAI has reached another major milestone by becoming one of the few world airlines to implement a fully non-smoking policy.

Due to popular demand by an overwhelming proportion of its passengers, THAI became a total non-smoking airline in March 1999. This smoking ban, which will apply to all THAI flights, on all routes, international and domestic, reflects growing public concerns about the health risks of "passive smoking" in relatively confined spaces.

Sophon

You must be quite young?

I am 99% sure that it was 2000 that Emirates stopped allowing people to smoke on flights. So your 8 years might actually be nine :D .....age is a terrible thing, isnt it :)

I think the ban started coming in from about 1995 on some airlines. Smokers are not the only ones complaining about the ban. Airframe fitters used to look for the nicotine stains on the outside of the fuselage to check for pinhole leaks.

I have often thought of wet-leasing an aircraft for smokers and the first run would have been BKK-MAN but I think that I would have difficulty getting it crewed.

Take a look at this site. Interesting. You can see the history of when airlines and which airline imposed the smoking ban.

http://www.tobacco.org/Resources/travel.html

Saudi bing the last one about 7 years ago whereas Emirates was in 2001. I remember for many years working flights where the only thing separating the smokers from non smokers was a curtain, which really did not help, but the haze behind the curtain was liking walking into a bar. My uniform would stink after a flight and the number of people smoking outside the toilets in the back of the aircraft was loads and a sight to behold. Funny to this day though smoking does not bother me and I'm not a smoker. It was just the smell of my clothing after the flight which I hated.

JAL used to fly LHR-NRT with special temporary smoking seats at the back of economy on their 747s. Just the 2 seats as the plane narrows so 8 or 12 in total. Normal seats in that area all smoking as well. Used to sit in non smoking and grad a couple of beers and head for a smoke in the back of the plane. Glad it has been banned now though.

:)

Don't remember when it was but it was common 14 years ago when I first worked in Turkey. The Turks smoked everywhere, on airplanes, in the airports, and even under the signs that said in Turkish, "No smoking allowed in this area". I left Turkey, and about 4 years later came back for a short working trip. To my surprise I found Turks had mostly stopped smoking in airports, and Turkish Airlines had instituted a no smoking policy on all its flights. It was a major change in Turkey....I guess 9 to 10 years ago as the date.

I think the U.S. or some of the Nordic countries were first. I seem to remember that SAS used to have some flights out of Copenhagen to Bangkok & Singapore around 1992 or 1993 that they advertised as "Non Smoking Flights". That was when I worked in the North Atlantic and went through Copenhagen to BKK with SAS. As a non-smoker I was happy with the non-smoking flights, chose them if possible.

:D

Edited by IMA_FARANG