Log Bib Scams Here.

a99az

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is where to log BIB and other scams so we can all be forewarned, but please lets keep it true and no reply. :D

Many volumes could and have been written on this subject. However, as its all about illegal activities, or rather activities that would be illegal in Thailand if the BIB weren't so enterprising :) I'm not sure how much we can discuss without breaking forum rules.

Where is the scam ? The police stop you. You give them 200 baht. You drive away. No scam that is just the way it happens here in Thailand. :D They are quite honest about it. My friend driving back to Samui was stopped by Thailand's finest for some perceived offence. When he handed over 400 baht fine the officer actually gave him 200 baht back and told him 400 baht was too much. He had to ask the guy sitting net to him if this just happened :D It certainly beats the system back in Blighty where it is going to cost you 6-7000 baht and 3 points on your license :)

I actually think, considering the lack of traffic enforcement, that the driving is not too bad. I sure know that motorcycles get a lot more respect here than they do back in the states. (Because a lot more of them I'm sure). But all in all, I rarely see accidents (that are not drunk farangs), rarely have road rage (I did a lot back in the states), etc. It seems to me that Thai drivers are more patient. It's the young boys on motorbikes that worry me the most.

Now I'm going to have an accident.

I actually think, considering the lack of traffic enforcement, that the driving is not too bad. I sure know that motorcycles get a lot more respect here than they do back in the states. (Because a lot more of them I'm sure). But all in all, I rarely see accidents (that are not drunk farangs), rarely have road rage (I did a lot back in the states), etc. It seems to me that Thai drivers are more patient. It's the young boys on motorbikes that worry me the most.

agree on most points. Ive been here 5 years and still shake my head when i see careless over-taking here. On most occasssions, it happens approaching a blind bend or with a car coming head on flashing their lights. :)

I just had a mate visit me from Aust. he hadn't been here for 30 years or so. The other day he told me he was walking back from the shop, alone, when a cop on a motor bike approached him, he says bad thoughts went straight to his head and he was a little 'concerned' that he was going to be hit up. He said how relieved he was when the cop just wanted to give him a big smile and a wave as he rode past.

I know it goes on, yeah. Even witnessed it first hand myself on the odd occasion. I am not having a go at anyone personally here but normal farang bar gossip would have many believe there is not one honest person in the Kingdom, let alone one honest copper and thats not true, nor fair.

But on that note I will say one thing - Mr & Mrs Thai citizen are becoming increasingly fed up with it. Not so bad for a cashed up farang but for a Thai battler it hurts like buggery and they get it in the neck more than we do. All that antagonism towards the Thai Coppers in what were supposed to be purely political protests wasn't about nothing. They have had a gutful of it as well.

i was still in the Military when I married 24 years ago in Bangkok and my wife used to joke with me then - "If you want to be rich marry police, if you want to be poor, marry taharn. (I guess i must have been a handsome bastard then!)

cheers

Edited by cpofc

agree on most points. Ive been here 5 years and still shake my head when i see careless over-taking here. On most occasssions, it happens approaching a blind bend or with a car coming head on flashing their lights. :)

Just got back from England after being there for 3 weeks and I did a lot of driving around without any incidents whatsoever (as per usual). On my first day back on the roads in Chiang Mai, I avoided/saw half a dozen near-misses in one fifteen-minute journey. Every trip here is an experience. I can remember just one person I knew that was killed in a road traffic accident back in England, whereas in CM the number is in double figures. True, the lack of traffic enforcement is a factor, but the total lack of respect, common sense, politeness, foresight, mirror/indicator/brake use is a bigger one.

In my opinion, all the people complaining about the bad drivers here, they should be avoided for fear of an accident :)

I have driven almost a million Kilometers here in 25 years, never an accident :D

agree on most points. Ive been here 5 years and still shake my head when i see careless over-taking here. On most occasssions, it happens approaching a blind bend or with a car coming head on flashing their lights. :D

Just got back from England after being there for 3 weeks and I did a lot of driving around without any incidents whatsoever (as per usual). On my first day back on the roads in Chiang Mai, I avoided/saw half a dozen near-misses in one fifteen-minute journey. Every trip here is an experience. I can remember just one person I knew that was killed in a road traffic accident back in England, whereas in CM the number is in double figures. True, the lack of traffic enforcement is a factor, but the total lack of respect, common sense, politeness, foresight, mirror/indicator/brake use is a bigger one.

Near misses don't count, just part of the learning curve. The other comments (lack of respect etc.) I find the opposite is true. There are only 2 things that need to be aware of, in my opinion, the Red Taxis and as Luke said. "young boys on motor bikes". I try to be off the road when schools let out. I remember being invincible at that age. :)

This topic is now two days old; 13 posts. No stories about bad cops. I have never witnessed a dishonest cop in six years here. Shall we move this topic to another forum?

No - Keep it in Chang Mai as we don't experience scams in Phuket.......... :)

I have driven almost a million Kilometers here in 25 years, never an accident :D

Exactly - that just confirms what sk1max said.

What the hel_l does that mean? :)

As a driver who learnt how to drive in the West, your driving skills/road awareness are better than those of drivers here and so you're less likely to have a crash :D (sk1max was saying that the standard of driving is better in England than it is here).

Near misses don't count, just part of the learning curve. The other comments (lack of respect etc.) I find the opposite is true. There are only 2 things that need to be aware of, in my opinion, the Red Taxis and as Luke said. "young boys on motor bikes". I try to be off the road when schools let out. I remember being invincible at that age. :)

Jumping traffic lights, not indicating, driving & talking on the phone (the list is endless) aren't showing a lack of respect for Thai traffic laws?

I have never been 'touched up' by the Thai Police either, not in 39 years of visiting or living here. But I have been sitting right alongside Thais that have. When they have been obeying the law in every respect too. I know how pissed off the people are, they're getting a rawer deal than most of us farangs.

Please allow me to tell a little story. It happened a couple of years ago in a Thai Pub I was a regular at, just across the road from me in Suburban Bangkok.

I entered the Pub one night like any other and there on a stool was was very dapper middle aged thai man. Well groomed, polished black shoes, 2 mobile phoes sitting on the bar and looking pretty smart. The other regulars, all Thai, were standing or sitting around the same area.

We all struck up a conversation with the 'new chum' and learnt he was a Senior Thai police officer from the Bang Rak area and he was at last taking a well earned break. I'll cut a long story short, but we bacame great mates. Unfortunately I had to leave early, but our new Thai friend asked if I would like to meet him for a drink at the some Pub the next night. I didn't promise anything but said I would if it was convienient for me to do so.

Well, I didn't make it the next night, but I did make it the night after. As soon as I walked in the door Poo, a regular, couldn't wait to tell me that our new found friend was not a copper at all! Poo held up a photocopy of his ID Card!!! Crikey mate! Where did you get that? And why?

The so called copper turned out to be a thief and a con man! He did come back to the bar the next night and no wonder he invited me. He had his eyes on my Nokia 6230i. THey were all sitting at the table drinking when the Copper asked could he borrow Chai's phone, as his mobile battery was flat and he had to call the station. Chai is a well heeled thai chinese and had the latest Nokia N7? something at the time.

Usually when we have to take or make a call at the Pub we just slip out the front door, but not the copper, he headed for the (outside) toilet.

He was never seen again!

but that's not the end of it.

Chai, whilst cruising the Phone Stalls in the Bangkapi Mall the next day, and amongst 1000's of mobiles he spots one the same as he once owned. Yep! He fires it up and finds all his data is still on the phone. The Shop Keeper demands 10,000 Baht. Chai gives it to him, literally having to buy his own phone back. The shop keeper then gives Chai a photocopy of the sellers Thai ID Card - which is required to be taken, by law, as a dealer.

Chai takes the Photocopy to the cops, along with evidence and witnesses etc.

There is absolutely no action taken and they didn't even take of copy of the ID card. He got his phone back, what was he whinging about.

You wonder why the people have had a gutful. Trust me, don't feel so exclusive being a farang. The average Thai puts up with more shit than we do on a daily basis. Thats why I love them, all that and they still know how to have fun more than just about any race of people on the planet.

This topic is now two days old; 13 posts. No stories about bad cops. I have never witnessed a dishonest cop in six years here. Shall we move this topic to another forum?

Now can we say " URBAN LEGEND" ? Let's keep it open, some may learn from from others experiences.

In my opinion, all the people complaining about the bad drivers here, they should be avoided for fear of an accident :D

As plenty of people have said in the past, "Never had an accident" BUT caused thousands of accidents, but never actually stopped to become involved in any of them :D & theres millions of som chai's here that can vouch the same :)

Edited by neverdie

I have never been 'touched up' by the Thai Police either, not in 39 years of visiting or living here. But I have been sitting right alongside Thais that have. When they have been obeying the law in every respect too. I know how pissed off the people are, they're getting a rawer deal than most of us farangs.

Please allow me to tell a little story. It happened a couple of years ago in a Thai Pub I was a regular at, just across the road from me in Suburban Bangkok.

I entered the Pub one night like any other and there on a stool was was very dapper middle aged thai man. Well groomed, polished black shoes, 2 mobile phoes sitting on the bar and looking pretty smart. The other regulars, all Thai, were standing or sitting around the same area.

We all struck up a conversation with the 'new chum' and learnt he was a Senior Thai police officer from the Bang Rak area and he was at last taking a well earned break. I'll cut a long story short, but we bacame great mates. Unfortunately I had to leave early, but our new Thai friend asked if I would like to meet him for a drink at the some Pub the next night. I didn't promise anything but said I would if it was convienient for me to do so.

Well, I didn't make it the next night, but I did make it the night after. As soon as I walked in the door Poo, a regular, couldn't wait to tell me that our new found friend was not a copper at all! Poo held up a photocopy of his ID Card!!! Crikey mate! Where did you get that? And why?

The so called copper turned out to be a thief and a con man! He did come back to the bar the next night and no wonder he invited me. He had his eyes on my Nokia 6230i. THey were all sitting at the table drinking when the Copper asked could he borrow Chai's phone, as his mobile battery was flat and he had to call the station. Chai is a well heeled thai chinese and had the latest Nokia N7? something at the time.

Usually when we have to take or make a call at the Pub we just slip out the front door, but not the copper, he headed for the (outside) toilet.

He was never seen again!

but that's not the end of it.

Chai, whilst cruising the Phone Stalls in the Bangkapi Mall the next day, and amongst 1000's of mobiles he spots one the same as he once owned. Yep! He fires it up and finds all his data is still on the phone. The Shop Keeper demands 10,000 Baht. Chai gives it to him, literally having to buy his own phone back. The shop keeper then gives Chai a photocopy of the sellers Thai ID Card - which is required to be taken, by law, as a dealer.

Chai takes the Photocopy to the cops, along with evidence and witnesses etc.

There is absolutely no action taken and they didn't even take of copy of the ID card. He got his phone back, what was he whinging about.

You wonder why the people have had a gutful. Trust me, don't feel so exclusive being a farang. The average Thai puts up with more shit than we do on a daily basis. Thats why I love them, all that and they still know how to have fun more than just about any race of people on the planet.

So he was not a Thai cop only posing as one. Scams like this are played daily all over the world. If you travel to foreign lands you better keep on your toes and not fall for the overly friendly local guy or gal. Travelers must

be responsible for their property and stay alert. I know its not easy when on holiday in a friendly country like Thailand but the low life are out there.

2 dvd movies "Touristas" and "Taken" are worth looking at. Educational and entertaining. You are right about the Thais being fun people, nice comment.

I agree !

Jumping traffic lights, not indicating, driving & talking on the phone (the list is endless) aren't showing a lack of respect for Thai traffic laws?

You are spot on with these infractions and it is the traffic cops that fail to enforce. The thing is we are in Thailand :-) it is we who must adjust to the

way things are done here. So for peace of mind smile! There is absolutely nothing you can do about it. Protect yourself at all times and keep cool in

traffic. Chok Dee

In the many years that I have lived in SE Asia I have seen far more rip off scams and thievery against expats done by foreigners than locals.

edit: And I have never been unfairly treated by the Thai Police.

Edited by Blinky Bill

In the many years that I have lived in SE Asia I have seen far more rip off scams and thievery against expats done by foreigners than locals.

edit: And I have never been unfairly treated by the Thai Police.

Ditto! Befriended this young, tall, handsome, Dutch painter/tennis player telling me he has no money ... "Can you lend me 500 B?" Never saw the money back and he never emailed me back to keep in touch. Now, 500 B. ain't a whole lot, but this was a good lesson! Too bad that we cannot help our fellow human beings because of scums like these. BE CAREFUL!

BTW, Thais tried on 4 occasions to get me: the usually taxi driver, the usual tuik-tuk who tells you your destination is 2 km or more when it is not, and the usual dinner with the whole family when the dinner was supposed to be with the one Thai person!

HOWEVER, I have had many, many gestures and behaviour that I would qualify as being outstanding and generous.

Exactly - that just confirms what sk1max said.

What the hel_l does that mean? :)

As a driver who learnt how to drive in the West, your driving skills/road awareness are better than those of drivers here and so you're less likely to have a crash :D (sk1max was saying that the standard of driving is better in England than it is here).

I did learn to drive in the west, but the majority of my driving years have been spent here, and I don't think I posses any more skills than another Thai. but I feel that the Thai drivers are doing fine, with a few exceptions, like in the UK. People new to driving here must realize that the Thais drive differently here, with good reason, and should simply go with the flow...

In my opinion, all the people complaining about the bad drivers here, they should be avoided for fear of an accident :)

I have driven almost a million Kilometers here in 25 years, never an accident :)

You just been lucky mate accidents happen to people all over the world so because you so far escaped just makes you a more fortunate person or are you just bragging about being here for 25 years

Having spent several years riding around Thailand I can't say I've ever had a bad experience with Thai police. That's more than I can say about Canadian RCMP. Of course I've spent far more time in Canada. Only once have I ever been fined, and that was for a minor offence of crossing the moat road on my motorcycle instead of turning right. I've heard all the bad stories but haven't experienced any. With the low pay that police get it's only understandable that a few will take bribes. That is how things are done in Thailand and it's sort of like paying taxes. My sister lives in London and doesn't have a good word to say about any of the police there. She's told me dozens of bad stories about their lack of doing their job properly.

You just been lucky mate accidents happen to people all over the world so because you so far escaped just makes you a more fortunate person or are you just bragging about being here for 25 years

If you see it as bragging, I feel sorry for you... My point was as I stated, no more, no less :D