True!

terdsak_12

I signed up for True's 256/512K deal around 3 weeks ago, they said they'd be here on Monday 14th to install the modem etc, and didn't turn up, couldn't get them on the phone, they just leave you on hold forever, and they finally called today Wednesday 16th, and say they may come round in a week. I'm in Bangkok not in the middle of no-where.

Anyway can't be bothered to wait anymore, obviously business is booming for them, and customers aren't that important.

Can anyone suggest a decent alternative???

Thanks.

True come round ???

We got none of that !!

Had to get our own ADSL modem.. Had to pester TT&T until they turned the line on.. Had to mess with modem for ages diagnosing what was wrong (TT&T installed faulty hardware at the recieveing end of the line in the link to the CAT office).. TT&T blamed CAT.. CAT balmed TT&T.. Took about 1 week of me working full time going to offices and calling engineers..

Never at one point could I get anyone from CAT / True to the house.. It was totally a self install and I have no idea what would have happened if I did nto have solid networking skills and had not put in 4 or 5 other ADSL installs (knowing VCI settings, the router, etc)..

True, in general, is better than other Thai ISPs. This doesn't mean that True actually gives great service, it just means that it's generally better *relative to other Thai ISPs*. On the whole, Thai ISPs are comparable to an animal farm.

Having said that, the service that you actually get from True can vary from excellent to ludicrous. Perhaps an offering to the gods prior to subscribing to True is a good idea.

"True" was originally several separate companies. TA did the telecommunications stuff. Asianet did the internet stuff. Now it's all "True", and truly mucked up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so then may be better to get a phone line from them and ISP - from other company?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, if you like to stick with dial up. If you would like broadband, there is not

a lot of choice ... only True and Ji-net (which is quite expensive).

Must depend on which office you deal with and where you live. :o

It took about 15 minutes l think to sign up at Future Park Rangsit and they gave me the ADSL modem to take home with me. The instructions are foolproof so l don't know why anyone would need someone to install it for them. You just follow the step by step instructions on the install cd, easy as. I'd never had any form of broadband before so l was a total novice with the installation but it really is very simple imo. :D

After about four days they sent me an SMS to notify me that it all systems were go and about a minute later l was on-line. :D It has run smoothly, a lot faster than dial-up and because l'm using the basic package, about the same cost.

I put off signing up for ADSL for a while, partly because of the negative reports l'd seen on ThaiVisa. Glad l didn't wait any longer as it's turned out to be a positive switch for me. Plus they haven't mucked up any of the bills either, everything charged correctly. :D

Don't buy the modem.

Go for the router.

It allows you connection to more than one computer, which you may want to do later,

and it will provide an additional firewall. Very necessary on adsl, when you are always on!!

As long as the adsl signal is present, just plug it in and setup is usually

quite straight forward.

My advise is to use the free modem, because, well, it's free. If it does not work then get the router. Routers are hard to configure for file sharing such as in the Thai File Share Hub, or with Bit torrent and some internet phone services, so be prepared for a learning curve if you use such things with a router. The usb modem has no problems in this regard

I have been using TRUE for 6 months and never had a problem. No dropped lines, reliable speed, and the usb modem (which I had to pay for) has been excellent even with my heavy use. It is excellent value for money (for me) - I use the 1024/512 service.

Loxinfo just reduced their prices and are similar to TRUE on a ToT line, with a sur charge for TA lines. (these are the 2 phone service providers in Thailand - foreigners must get a TA line as the ToT requires you to provide a citizens card where TA only requies a passport). My 1 friend who uses this new loxinfo says it is far better, but this could be because Loxinfo still have fewer users than TRUE, or because he always likes to be better than everyone else. Samart provide a very fast service giving close to advertised speeds, but it is 2500 baht (ish) for a 1024/512 adsl service.