Buying Agricultural Land

Here's one for the upcountry farmers . . .

I'd like to buy some agricultural land - Por Bor Tor land documents. The land is cheap and would be bought in my wife's name.

I realise that PBT docs are only tax receipts & dont show the land boundaires etc - the local 'Pu Yai' and neighbours will all get together and agree the boundaries before any sale is completed.

My only question is what sort of house can i build on it - if I so wish?

A couple of people have told me that you can only build a farmers shack on the land and others have said that any type of house on the land is OK. No probem to put plans for a proper house into the local planning office ( maybe have to pay a few baht in 'fees' to speed palnning approvl up but that's all.)

Is there a definitive answer? Does it depend on how well you know people in the planning office?

Thx in advance for any info/ help

When I bought 12 Rai of agricultural land for my step son there was a proper

Bai Chanot, with a plan of the land and the numbers for the

marker posts denoting the corners.

I am not familar with Por Bor Tor, but it sounds like government land that you are

leasing, not buying?

Without a Bai Chanot I would be very suspiscious of what I was buying.

Have a lawyer check the documents before you part with the money!!

He can also draw up the contract and witness the exchange in case of

problems later. Costs will be minimal, a few thousand baht, but gives peace of mind.

Here's one for the upcountry farmers . . .

I'd like to buy some agricultural land - Por Bor Tor land documents.  The land is cheap and would be bought in my wife's name.

I realise that PBT docs are only tax receipts & dont show the land boundaires etc - the local 'Pu Yai' and neighbours will all get together and agree the boundaries before any sale is completed.

My only question is what sort of house can i build on it - if I so wish?

A couple of people have told me that you can only build a farmers shack on the land and others have said that any type of house on the land is OK.  No probem to put plans for a proper house into the local planning office ( maybe have to pay a few baht in 'fees' to speed palnning approvl up but that's all.)

Is there a definitive answer?  Does it depend on how well you know people in the planning office?

Thx in advance for any info/ help

My wifes land consisted of rice field patches and funny tax receipts like you mention. No official documents. She made the officials measure the boundraries, made them put official marker posts in the 12 corners and registered the land as Bai Chanot. Then we filled up 2.5 m high soil on this land and built the 2 floor house and the swimming pool later. Our house is just outside the city limit in a Muu or baan without any building laws. The local Pu Yai signed a paper stating that our buildings do not disturb the local people. Later I insisted to register the house in the land paper as soon as the house was finished.

Thanks Roiet. The land we like already has concrete poles in place marking the boundaries. My missus has been trying to get some sense out of local Thai planning officials and has pretty much decided thatthere shouldnt be any hassles if you're friendly with the local high-ups.