Hit The Brakes

tpthai2

will this apply to motorists that are driving on the wrong side of the road that clip pedestrians as they try to cross? will i still have to look both ways before crossing a one way street? I think Thailand should focus on the basics of road etiquette and traffic enforcement before making such a giant leap into pedestrian right-of-way. Thailand's rule of the road it seems is that the bigger your vehicle the more right of way you have.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe how cynical some people are!?! It's good to move in this direction but the culture, as it is, will be very difficult to change. I believe if Police wanted more "tea money" then they will be able to do something else...

If you have ever had to cross the road in China you would know that most of the time you have to wait for enough people, pick your moment and go go go! I am sure in many parts of Asia and possibly around the world.

It's good that they will be enforcing this, even if it's going to be blitzed and forgotten until the next blitz. Hopefully, the culture will change over time.

Call me cynical.

There's one thread in the news about Thai TV being crap, another about tourism at an all time low and this one supposedly acting on drivers not stopping at pedestrian crossings.

If I'm still here I'll reply to this thread next year with what's actually changed. Should be a simple enough task.

"Drivers and pedestrians seem to have lost respect for each other recently."

Lost respect recently? Drivers have had zero respect for pedestrians in the two decades I've been coming to Thailand.

:)

Tell me about it. Some years ago I was nearly run over by a Thai on a motorcycle while waking on the sidewalk near Soi 34 on Sukhumvit. His excuse was, "The traffic on the road was moving too slow, so I came on to the sidewalk so I wouldn't be late getting there."

:D

Main streets in CMai have RED lights to stop traffic for pedestrians. Still, compliance is uneven. Today at the main hospital, most traffic ignored a whole stream of folks trying to cross legally. Usually they let walkers cross, and continue before the light turns green.

Lost respect recently? Drivers have had zero respect for pedestrians in the two decades I've been coming to Thailand.

:)

Tell me about it. Some years ago I was nearly run over by a Thai on a motorcycle while waking on the sidewalk near Soi 34 on Sukhumvit. His excuse was, "The traffic on the road was moving too slow, so I came on to the sidewalk so I wouldn't be late getting there."

:D

Had the same experience a couple of month on rama 4. We decided with my wife to go get our son at school. She was carrying our newborn baby and we were walking on the sidewalk.

She was walking 5 meters before me has i have the bad habit to smoke and don't want to stay near them when i do. A motorcycle nearly hit them on the sidewalk and the man begin to shout at her because she was on his way and he was in a hurry :D .

I guess at least this one will remember to wear an helmet cause it can also protect against a furious big farang :D .

This is interesting, but I thought they already had this law here.

I am one of those people who stops at pedestrian crossings. I don't slam on the brakes if the traffic is moving very quickly, but if people are in the crosswalk, then I stop and let them go by. Traffic is usually moving slow enough that it's just a common courtesy.

Common courtesy is what is seriously lacking on the roads here. Although every once in a while I am shocked when I am extended courtesy by a Thai driver. Once even a Tuk Tuk let me merge!! Wow!!

I stopped to let a YL go across the road, and she was almost hit by a motorcycle.

Tom Klong 3

I am also one of these that stops often for pedestrians in crosswalks out of habit from driving in California. It is strictly enforced there. My GF always comments. "You're jai dee". In fact it happened today, and of course as tom says, bikes just flow around me and right on through making the pedestrians jump or scurry out of their way.

Its a start in what may eventually become a automatic reflex and become standard behavior for drivers. If you pessimists have a better suggestion by all means lets hear it. No 50 calibers or RPG's are allowed in the hands of any BIB for enforcement purposes.

I agree. Seems the pessimists would rather there be no such law to try to enforce and slowly change habits. "Oh it probably won't work so don't try it."

A lot of western legislation in Thailand upsets farang that live here in order to escape it, but this law is not one of them.

Edited by Scubabuddha

City Hall must be really really bored.

This is total and utter rubbish.

Thai drivers consider pedestrians a little higher than the bacteria around the toilet bowl.

I could stand at a zebra crossing all day and not one driver will even consider for a nanosecond about actually stopping.

I could dance around on the side of the road in a Ronald Macdonald outfit with strawberry donut shoes and i still won't be noticed.

This will just not work, plain and simple.

Drivers here will not change, and yes, you can judge a nations civility by how it's drivers treat pedestrians!!!!!!!

Let's not get too excited. Nothing will cahnge as everyon ehas said.

And anyway they didn't say which 1 August. No mention of 2009

Thai drivers consider pedestrians a little higher than the bacteria around the toilet bowl.

I could stand at a zebra crossing all day and not one driver will even consider for a nanosecond about actually stopping.

I could dance around on the side of the road in a Ronald Macdonald outfit with strawberry donut shoes and i still won't be noticed.

Drivers here will not change, and yes, you can judge a nations civility by how it's drivers treat pedestrians!!!!!!!

the Thai law is different from that in some Western countries. Cars must stop at red lights on crossings. But if there are no lights there is no legal obligation to stop. The crossing is merely a designated spot to cross when the road is clear.

Its a start in what may eventually become a automatic reflex and become standard behavior for drivers. If you pessimists have a better suggestion by all means lets hear it. No 50 calibers or RPG's are allowed in the hands of any BIB for enforcement purposes.

a(n) automatic reflex and become standard behavior for drivers :):D:D

What about pedestrians who don't respect zebra crossings?

On some roads they even have to put wires and barriers to direct them to official zebras, but that's only in downtown Bangkok, elsewhere they cross anywhere as the please and pay even less attention to zebras than drivers.

There's a stretch of four lane Wat Lad Pra Kao road that has zebras every hundreds meters but no one ever walks up to them, people just cross wherever they happen to be at the moment.

>>

Normally people wait for a little crowd to get motorists attention. Sounds fair - equal number of dirvers stop for equal number of pedestrians.

Here is another regulation that will be totally ignored. Pedestrians will still jaywalk. Motorists will still paste their mobile phones to their ears while driving. Zebra crossing? What's that? That's where you score points - right?

Ambulances with serious injured people will still have to race with car that speed up instead of pulling to the side. Somewhat reminds of dolphins riding the bow wave of a large ship...

Edited by toybits

Somebody wiser than I once said " a nation culture is reflected in its driving" I dont think anymore needs to be said

You think the vast majority of road users are insane? :)

I came across the scene of an event on Soi 17, Pattaya Tai early this morning. One of the contestants looked in a very bad way; neither wore helmets. My reaction, laudable or not, was that that was two idiots that I wouldn't have to look out for for a while.

Notice that I used the word event rather than accident. Accidents are unforseen. This event was entirely predictable. I wonder if both casualties survive that in future they will be more careful in their use of the roads. Or is it predictable that they won't?

Somebody wiser than I once said " a nation culture is reflected in its driving" I dont think anymore needs to be said

You think the vast majority of road users are insane? :)

I came across the scene of an event on Soi 17, Pattaya Tai early this morning. One of the contestants looked in a very bad way; neither wore helmets. My reaction, laudable or not, was that that was two idiots that I wouldn't have to look out for for a while.

Notice that I used the word event rather than accident. Accidents are unforseen. This event was entirely predictable. I wonder if both casualties survive that in future they will be more careful in their use of the roads. Or is it predictable that they won't?

I live on Samui

Insane puts a rationalizing light on it.

A viable reasoning to the carnage.

Oblivious fits, as well as could care-less, blind drunk,

and rushing to deliver the cement and get back for more.

Insane

1. Exhibiting unsoundness or disorded of mind; not sane; mad; deranged in mind; delirious; distracted.

2. Used by, or appropriated to, insane persons; as, an insane hospital.

3. Causing insanity or madness. [R.]

Or have we eaten on the insaneroot That takes the reason prisoner ? --Shak.

4. Characterized by insanity or the utmost folly; chimerical; unpractical; as, an insane plan, attempt, etc.

I know not which was the insane measure. --Southey.

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998

Synonyms:

1. demented; lunatic, crazed, crazy; maniacal.

2. foolish, irrational.

3. Samui Drivers.

Main streets in CMai have RED lights to stop traffic for pedestrians. Still, compliance is uneven. Today at the main hospital, most traffic ignored a whole stream of folks trying to cross legally. Usually they let walkers cross, and continue before the light turns green.

The silly thing is you only have to stop if you would hit a pedestrian.( See the road code) You can go through the red light anyway. I find cars sometimes stop mortorbikes never.

Correct. When I stop for a cross over the pedestrian is amazed that actually somebody stops, but still he dare not cross because Thai drivers not even lower there speed. In fact the fine should be at least 5000 Baht. Because after all we all pedestrians at some point. In Europe its the law that you must stop at a cross over and let the people pass, they don't even have to give a warning sign that they like cross.

On the other hand when a pedestrian cross a street within 50 meters from a cross over, the fine should be evenso 5000 Baht. Just like it is Europe.

But you are not in Europe...

Correct. When I stop for a cross over the pedestrian is amazed that actually somebody stops, but still he dare not cross because Thai drivers not even lower there speed. In fact the fine should be at least 5000 Baht. Because after all we all pedestrians at some point. In Europe its the law that you must stop at a cross over and let the people pass, they don't even have to give a warning sign that they like cross.

On the other hand when a pedestrian cross a street within 50 meters from a cross over, the fine should be evenso 5000 Baht. Just like it is Europe.

So are you saying they should do nothing?

I see so many negitive comments on here these days - if they do something - people jump all over it saying it won't work or they shouldn't do it or the BIB are just after money, same happens if they do nothing - Thai doesn't care.

Yet now I see majority of people wearing helmets, yes the BIB got some money but end result is that most people now wear helmets.

When I first came here, people thought traffic lights were for decoration but now most people stop.

Same for indicators - now maybe 50% use and increasing.

There are many things here that could be improved - at least give some credit for trying to improve something.

So are you saying they should do nothing?

I see so many negitive comments on here these days - if they do something - people jump all over it saying it won't work or they shouldn't do it or the BIB are just after money, same happens if they do nothing - Thai doesn't care.

Yet now I see majority of people wearing helmets, yes the BIB got some money but end result is that most people now wear helmets.

When I first came here, people thought traffic lights were for decoration but now most people stop.

Same for indicators - now maybe 50% use and increasing.

There are many things here that could be improved - at least give some credit for trying to improve something.

This city hall directive is pie in the sky

Lip service with a 500 baht fine

If you wonder why you read so many negative comments.......try crossing the roads here like i do 4 times every day.

Live here long enough and you see straight through the waffle.

Ever wonder why the fines are only a few hundred baht?????????

Yet most cars cost over a million.

A 500 baht fine will NOT change a nations driving habits.

Make the fine 5000 baht and people might take notice.

I know why drivers do not like to stop at Zebra Crossings over here.

I was approaching one this morning and remembered this thread, so thought I would stop for the crowed of people waiting to cross. wow, they walked so slow accross the road and just as I was ready to drive on I saw a Thai guy running towards the Zebra Crossing as fast as he could and as soon as he stepped off the pavement (Sidewalk for the Americans) he slowed down and dawdled his way accross.

noone honked at me from behind though, which is a good sign.

They tried this before in Bangkok a few years ago with flags at zebra crossings for pedestrians to wave when crossing.

What happened? Two foreigners were using the flags to cross at a zebra crossing when they were crushed and killed by a fast moving truck driving illegally in the opposite direction in the bus lane.

I cannot help but visualise the expressions on the faces of the poor old rabbits and wild life when oncoming traffic approches them at night.

What they should do is remove the pedestrian crossings altogether.

Like it or not the majority of visitors are used to pedestrian crossings being a safe place to cross and take it for granted it is likewise here.

Second Road was a recent example of all that is meaningless about how they are supposed to be used.

I watched an older couple waiting and waiting to get across and totally confused and terrified at what was happening re the continuous flow of speeding traffic and in ability to find a safe enough space / gap to cross over towards ( near ) the Royal Garden resort.

marshbags :):D god

Edited by marshbags

Exactly

If City hall and the "traffic"police were really serious about safety.................This would be taught properly when you get/re-new your license.

Right now it is not.................have you actually seen the driving test they do here............it involves reversing in to a box. :)

If you asked most drivers here, "what is that black and white area crossing the road?" most would probably scratch their heads and smile.

What really worries me, is that some poor soul will now actually believe city hall and think they can step in the road and drivers will just stop.

Not going to happen.

This is the nature of the word "crackdown"...........short, sharp but doesn't last very long.

Remember the "crackdowns" every few years on smoke belching vehicles.