First A Virus For Your Pc, Then Your Phone

TizMe

Hackers target high-tech cars

By ANDREW HEASLEY

The Age

Wednesday February 9 2005

Versatile car vandals are swapping their screwdrivers and crowbars for high-tech mobile phones to target new cars.

Technology-savvy vandals in the US are hacking into the computer software on board Toyota and Lexus cars via wireless Bluetooth technology and implanting viruses.

The 100-Series Toyota LandCruiser and Lexus LX470 and LS430 can both be infected with viruses, according to computer security magazine SC (infosecnews.com).

The viruses can apparently affect the navigation systems of the Lexus models.

According to the SC report, David Emm, a senior technology consultant at anti-viral research firm Kaspersky was quoted as saying: "At this stage it's still early but it just goes to show that technology has consequences."

A spokesman for the Australian arm of Toyota, the Japanese car maker behind the Lexus brand, says the company has no reports of local cars hit by viruses sent by Bluetooth.

"There's been no advice for service departments or any supporting documentation to confirm - one way or the other - viruses getting into cars," spokesman Mike Breen says.

Mikko Hypponen, the director of anti-viral research at Finnish firm F-Secure warned SC about entrusting critical aspects of a car's operation to vulnerable software.

"Cars are an obvious target for viruses," he told SC. "It's OK if you don't use the operating system for the engine and the brakes but when you do . . ."

Not a problem for me. Can't afford the mentioned vehicles.

But on second thought, ...................aren't most aircraft functions these days also controlled by onboard computers/software?

(Just food for thought! :o )

:D

nah....i guess the aircrafts computers havent gone wireless yet...

the only place they use wireless technology is for their radio!!!

and i can be dead sure u cant crack into the aircrafts computer via the radio

just one thing i have always wondered abt when i look at an aircraft.

i notice mose modern aircraft has atleast one antenna on all the movable parts....and its got me thinking.

does the antenna tell the computer system whats the angle on the particulat part(eg angle of the wing/ angle of the plane..)

the angle of the antenna on a particular wing can be detected with its polatiry with the angle of another antenna on the plane...

if this is the case then a cracker could somehow get his hands on the signal he could confuse the computer onboard/pilot. and there would definately be a disaster if the plane would be in autopilot...

couldnt find much info on the web regarding the purpose of those antennas.

otherway to hack into aircrafts computer would be to have physical access to the equipment on ground...then attach some sorta wireless hacks to the system and when in air u controll the aircraft...(or maybe ive been ceeing to many movies lately ;-) )

Not a problem for me. Can't afford the mentioned vehicles.

But on second thought, ...................aren't most aircraft functions these days also controlled by onboard computers/software?

(Just food for thought! :o )

:D

nah....i guess the aircrafts computers havent gone wireless yet...

the only place they use wireless technology is for their radio!!!

and i can be dead sure u cant crack into the aircrafts computer via the radio

just one thing i have always wondered abt when i look at an aircraft.

i notice mose modern aircraft has atleast one antenna on all the movable parts....and its got me thinking.

does the antenna tell the computer system whats the angle on the particulat part(eg angle of the wing/ angle of the plane..)

the angle of the antenna on a particular wing can be detected with its polatiry with the angle of another antenna on the plane...

if this is the case then a cracker could somehow get his hands on the signal he could confuse the computer onboard/pilot. and there would definately be a disaster if the plane would be in autopilot...

couldnt find much info on the web regarding the purpose of those antennas.

otherway to hack into aircrafts computer would be to have physical access to the equipment on ground...then attach some sorta wireless hacks to the system and when in air u controll the aircraft...(or maybe ive been ceeing to many movies lately ;-) )

What was your nick again? Devils Advocate Dog?, me thinks you have too much idle timeon your hands, might want to consider writing a new suspence new novel :D

What was your nick again? Devils Advocate Dog?, me thinks you have too much idle timeon your hands, might want to consider writing a new suspence new novel  :o

mi nick is "devil_dog" in case you have misread..

if i would have the the idle time i would surely write a new suspence novel and sent u a free copy to edit my spelling mistakes. me thinks u have the idle time for that ;-) ...

devil_dog - Those "antennas" you see on the aircraft's moving surfaces are in fact "Discharge Wicks", to bleed off static electricity, which builds up on the metal airframe, during flight.

Perhaps you've seen cars and trucks with hanging straps attached to the vehicle frame, rubbing on the ground. Same thing, same reason, different design.

Most aircraft still rely upon "radio" transmissions for navigational information (eg: ILS landing in bad weather). Thus the restriction many airlines place on in-cabin use of radios, cell-phones and even laptop computers, during certain periods of flight, such as takeoff and landings. (Note: All electrical equipment emit some radio waves (RF) while turned on, thus having the potential to cause interference with radio reception.) Many years ago, several aircraft crashes were believed caused by such interference, thus resulting in Government Radiation Regulations for most electrical appliances, such as TV's, radios, computers, etc. The manufactures must test their products and certify compliance with said regulations. (You may see on the back of your radio or other device, a statement similar to: "Meets or exceeds FCC Part 15 Regulations.....".) Spent may years working on this problem during the early days of FM radio, as the FM radio band is adjacent to the aircraft communication/navigation frequencies used by all aircraft.

cheers

devil_dog - Those "antennas" you see on the aircraft's moving surfaces are in fact "Discharge Wicks", to bleed off static electricity, which builds up on the metal airframe, during flight.

Perhaps you've seen cars and trucks with hanging straps attached to the vehicle frame, rubbing on the ground. Same thing, same reason, different design.

my car doesnt have one.....

no no wonder i get a shock sometimes when i get out of the car and touch the metal portion of the door... :o