Poll: Capital City Airports In East Asia

bubba

Airports Poll  

124 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We tried this one a while back and just thought it would be interesting to do an update. Below are ten major capital city airports in eastern Asia. Which one is at the top of your list and which one is at the bottom of your list?

Edited by bubba

Can't imagine why anyone would loathe Singapore, and I see one vote has been cast that way.

But Manila (Terminal 1 anyway) is rightfully in the lead. Without doubt, the most crowded, outdated, poorly maintained, slowest and most painful airport of any Asian capital airport that I have ever transited.

Noi Bai

Yes, Noi Bai (Hanoi) is kind of shabby, but it's nowhere near as crowded as MNL, and getting checked in, through immigration and onto your plane is hassle-free enough. It can't compare to MNL, where it took me nearly an hour from the time I queued just to get in the front door of the airport until I reached my gate. Immigration alone took at least 30 minutes. There were even queues at the booths to pay the expensive airport tax (for the privilage of using that dump?). About half of the booths were staffed, so I suppose the airport couldn't afford a few more cashiers to rake in the US$15/head airport tax. What a mess.

For those of you lucky enough to not have to endure MNL on a regular basis, here is the queue sequence:

#1 - queue to show your ticket information and passport to the guard at the front door

#2 - queue to x-ray all your baggage

#3 - huge queues at the check-in counter, where there is not adequate room to allocate sufficient space to the airlines. And don't arrive before your check-in counter opens, because there is nowhere to sit.

#4 - airport tax booth queue

#5 - immigration queue

#6 - another x-ray queue, this time to check your carry ons

#7 - ticket and passport check before entering the gate area

(Note: if you are flying Thai, skip the business class lounge, as it is so small and crowded you may not even find an open seat)

#8 - ticket and passport check at the gate

Edited by Booger

I second Manila, but - believe it or not - I voted for BANGKOK as my favorite airport.

the reason is, it's my "home" airport which I use 30-40 times a year, and unlike many of the moaners here (who probably arrive at Suwannaphum already with the intention to search for something to moan about) , I have never had any bad experience there. I like the fact it's a ONE-Terminal airport ( I really HATE those shuttle-train rides in Hong Kong, KL, Singapore, Frankfurt a.s.o.)

never waited too long at immigration (both when departing or arriving, and if the queues were rather long, then some senior official came by and ordered to open some more desks quickly), a lot of dining options (at very cheap prices, as long as you are not yet inside the transit area), Minimarts (try to buy a can of coke at less than 0,30 € at an airport anywhere in the world), hassle-free inexpensive Taxis (as long as you stick to the metered Taxis at the offical booth) a.s.o. I could continue.

Singapore comes next, and I would probably have voted for Singapore, if that was my main port of departure/arrival.

but for me Swampy does it just fine ! :) oh and it has PLENTY of clean restrooms, never ever had problem locating one and using one, just in case somebody tries to mention this.....

the only thing I would criticize is the fact, that after you enter the area of the boarding gates, there is no more chance to get any drink or food (after passing the carry-on-luggage-screening).

okay, now you can BASH me for saying something good about Swampy, but sorry, I won't care :D

It is not on the list, but in '97 when I was in Vietnam I was very diapointed with the airport in HCM.

I believe they have a new one there now, but back then it was probably the worst I have ever been through.

Manila is a complete shocker. Brunei is not very high on my list but I don't think they would have a very big through rate.

Changi, Incheon and Swampy are my favourites although Swampy has terrible smoking rooms, whereas Incheon has quite smart little smoking areas and ofcourse Changi has indoor plus outdoor smoking areas with a bar etc etc.

• 4 weeks later...
Seoul is a plane spotter's dream. The walls facing the flight line and runways are glass from floor to ceiling.

200705314908-1.jpg

That is, unless you are stuck out in the new midfield terminal and in the new Thai Airways business class lounge. It's dark, windowless and dungeon-like. Too bad, as the original Thai lounge in the main terminal was very open with great views out through the windows.

Seoul is a plane spotter's dream. The walls facing the flight line and runways are glass from floor to ceiling.

200705314908-1.jpg

Architecture is OK, its how the korean policemen behaves that most people find unacceptable?

and the smell of Kimchee throughout the terminal?

P.S. as for Manila, its the only airport with trios of guitarists serenading the passengers (i have yet to visit Mexico!)

Edited by jerrylee

I second Manila, but - believe it or not - I voted for BANGKOK as my favorite airport.

the reason is, it's my "home" airport which I use 30-40 times a year, and unlike many of the moaners here (who probably arrive at Suwannaphum already with the intention to search for something to moan about) , I have never had any bad experience there. I like the fact it's a ONE-Terminal airport ( I really HATE those shuttle-train rides in Hong Kong, KL, Singapore, Frankfurt a.s.o.)

never waited too long at immigration (both when departing or arriving, and if the queues were rather long, then some senior official came by and ordered to open some more desks quickly), a lot of dining options (at very cheap prices, as long as you are not yet inside the transit area), Minimarts (try to buy a can of coke at less than 0,30 € at an airport anywhere in the world), hassle-free inexpensive Taxis (as long as you stick to the metered Taxis at the offical booth) a.s.o. I could continue.

Singapore comes next, and I would probably have voted for Singapore, if that was my main port of departure/arrival.

but for me Swampy does it just fine ! :) oh and it has PLENTY of clean restrooms, never ever had problem locating one and using one, just in case somebody tries to mention this.....

the only thing I would criticize is the fact, that after you enter the area of the boarding gates, there is no more chance to get any drink or food (after passing the carry-on-luggage-screening).

okay, now you can BASH me for saying something good about Swampy, but sorry, I won't care :D

I agree , cant really fault it , I pass through many times a year and have not had any problems!

I like the fact it's a ONE-Terminal airport ( I really HATE those shuttle-train rides in Hong Kong, KL, Singapore, Frankfurt a.s.o.)

That's one advantage that only frequent flyers appreciate. I love that aspect of BKK. However, I voted for Hong Kong. I know Singapore gets alot of votes but overnighting at the airport hotel is like staying in prison. The Hong Kong airport Regent is in walking distance.

Not on the list but Zia International, Bangladesh was th worst for me...

If the list had been expanded to include the karachi and Delhi airports, Manila would have been saved.

But Manila is really the worst airport on the list. I hope no one ever has to experience it.

Not on the list, and certainly not aesthetically stunning, but I like CKS in Taipei. Yeah, I'm a fflyer on China Air and live in their VIP lounge when I'm there every 4 months or so, so it's a bit subjective. However, it's efficient, low-key, reasonably low-level comfortably lighted, and I have a thing for the CAir staff. Just used to it I guess, more than anyplace. Singapore is fine, but a bit overrated IMO.

And, oh yeah, Oz, I'm easy to please, and Manila would easily be my worst.

Edited by calibanjr.

I meant Noi Bai as the best!!!

Second choice Don Muang.

Rather miss the comfortable romanticism of old friend, Don Muang. Sure....beat up old airport. But at least it was functional compared to some 'new' flashy brightlight white elephant projects in country. Which won't mention any names, but it's initial are......{BKK}

200705314908-1.jpg

That is, unless you are stuck out in the new midfield terminal and in the new Thai Airways business class lounge. It's dark, windowless and dungeon-like. Too bad, as the original Thai lounge in the main terminal was very open with great views out through the windows.

Incheon is a transit prisoner's nightmare.

I applaud your fearlessness in going against the conventional "wisdom".

When you get bashed, you will need company - I voted for BKK as my favourite.

it is clean

it is readily accessible

it is a snap to get out of when I arrive (sometimes slow to be processed out)s

airport food is pricey everywhere so have been pleasantly surprised by quality and value when waiting to be picked up by friends

and Number one reason I like it - it means I am in Thailand again!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone traveled through the old Cebu Pacific domestic terminal in Manila?

That was the smallest most overcrowded sh*t pit ever. Fortunately the new T3 opened up a while back and is much improved. Loads of space but you can still count on the Q's to pay your money and for security, not as bad though.

For those who are interested in flying to the Philippines cheaply. Cebu Pacific are good value and are not bad (as far as budget airlines go). You can book online at cebupacificair.com avoid weekend flying for the best deals of course.

• 3 weeks later...
Pattaya airport (U ta pao)

Most people still does not know that there is one.

Had a chance to use it when the yellow shirts closed Swampy. The BKK taxi driver burst out laughing when he dropped me off at the gate... it really was in the middle of nowhere :)