If You Die In Thailand

MACAHOO

My farang friend’s lawyer has told him that if he dies in Thailand, without having made a Thai will in which he states that he wishes to be buried in Thailand, he is not allowed to be buried or cremated in Thailand and the body must be repatriated – obviously at the deceased’s expense.

Anyone heard of this?

Absolutely false. I know of many foreigners that have been cremated here, including one that I handled myself.

The lawyer obviously wants the job of drawing up the Thai will... probably in Thai language that the guy won't be able to read, and everything will be bequeathed to the lawyer!

Edited by bino

It is normal that if there are no relatives in Thailand the authorities will contact the embassy of the deceased and they will contact the family and see what needs to be done. Not sure if they will repatriate the body if the family is not interested, but it is always best to make a statement about what you want to happen when you die.

I look at it from the point of view that it will be someone elses problem and, since this will probably end up being my wife, I am sure she will find a cheaper way of getting rid of my body.

It is normal that if there are no relatives in Thailand the authorities will contact the embassy of the deceased and they will contact the family and see what needs to be done. Not sure if they will repatriate the body if the family is not interested, but it is always best to make a statement about what you want to happen when you die.
Mario2008 post =2820963

:) I have made plans on my death, with my 'friends" re burn

plus insurance money goes to the "group" as a whole and residue is used to help poor Thai :D

this leaves my visa holding and other monies, in a Thai bank, :D

I would like this to go to my children, in my home country,yes, i can make a will , expensive ??

but can I, as in my home country write my wishes and get two witnesses, [are there, as in uk any pre printed forms] would it be legal :D

plus notification to the Thai bank, :P to hand the balance to one of my family :P my "friends will have the death cert: my Moneys been locked in Thai banks for ten years, so far :D

:D note bkb is giving 100,000 accidental death policies to new acc holders, I changed provinces and opened new accounts, to save TRANSFER FEES, every time i withdrew money or put money in, SAME BANK :D dont tell the nearest and dearest if you do this. i didnt ,dont want to fall off a chair :D riley76

if the foreigner dies in Thailand the next of kin have to decide if the body shall be repatriated or buried or cremated in Thailand. In case s uch foreigner has a Thai wife, she would make the decision except there is a stop on such cremation by police of Embassy or family members because of suspected foul play.