B8bn Movie Town For Chiang Mai

george

B8bn movie town for Chiang Mai

CHIANG MAI: -- A major US-based entertainment company has confirmed plans for a huge new movie town in Chiang Mai province, with initial investment put at eight billion baht.

Creative Kingdom Inc, a creator of themed design architecture and destinations, said it will build a 175-acre mixed-use movie studio and residential development to be know as Chiang Mai-Wood (CNX-Wood).

Once completed, the sprawling complex would house the state-of-the-art CNX Movie World Studios -- a series of film production studios, animation facilities and special effects laboratories -- and include residential neighborhoods, public infrastructure and facilities, theme parks , restaurants and replicas of major tourist destinations around the world, the company press statement said.

Creative Kingdom chief executive officer Eduardo Robles said his company will make CNX-Wood the most advanced mixed-use destination in the world.

“The new CNX Movie World Studios will serve as the hub for Asia’s booming film industry and become one of the premier destinations for the world’s movie makers," he said.

The 175-acre mixed-use movie studio and residential development would take seven years to complete. It would be completed over five stages, beginning with the film studios.

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-06-22

CHIANG MAI: -- A major US-based entertainment company has confirmed plans for a huge new movie town in Chiang Mai province, with initial investment put at eight billion baht.

im wondering how all the actors etc are going to get work permits when you cant even help out in a school / temple / hill tribe without breaking the law ?

i hope the yanks have thought of how to get round this very small problem : )

dave2

I interviewed this company a while back for an article I did on the Thai entertainment industry.

At that time, one of their foreign staff complained that Chiang Mai was not a good location as very few (if any) direct flights flew into the city making it business unfriendly.

Kantana has been trying to get their movie town off the ground here in Bangkok for years and still - no go.

I wish companies would stop with the empty pr to up stock prices on any given day. This kind of manipulation is not only unlawful (in the west) but just bad business.

From someone involved intimately with the entertainment industry in Thailand and Asia, I can tell you, unless Thailand introduces lucrative incentives for filming here, no one is going to show up at Creative Kingdom's Chiang Mai Wood's doorstep.

This can't be true because it just wouldn't work here in Chiang Mai, for a multitude of reasons, one of them being that if it's anything like the Zoo, Aquariam, Diner Restaurants or anything trying to be American, it will be very bad!!

I thought they were calling it "Lanna Wood" which sounded a lot better. Maybe I made that up myself. Have to wonder what the likelihood of this happening is... can't seem to find any Hollywood backstory to the management team.

Hummm, the last time I read anything on this, it was supposed to be in San Kamphang, and they wanted to do this in order to compete with Shanghi as the "Asian Movie Capitol". It will be interesting to see what, if anything actually develops from all this.

Hummm, the last time I read anything on this, it was supposed to be in San Kamphang, and they wanted to do this in order to compete with Shanghi as the "Asian Movie Capitol". It will be interesting to see what, if anything actually develops from all this.

"San Kamphang" eh now i wonder if another resident (sorry exiled ex resident) of those parts could be involved :)

I'll believe it when it's complete.

Back in Arizona the buzz for several years was MGM and some partners were going to build the same thing..Hollywood in the desert.

Dragged on for years, the studio promoting on how it would change lives, make life so sweet for everyone.

The process of gobbling up land out by the Az Cardinal stadium, "It's gunna be big" they would say.

Never happened.

Kee kwai, I say.

This can't be true because it just wouldn't work here in Chiang Mai, for a multitude of reasons, one of them being that if it's anything like the Zoo, Aquariam, Diner Restaurants or anything trying to be American, it will be very bad!!

You sound like an idiot.

If anyone would have done a search on Creative Kingdom they would have found that this is the company that designed the Palm Island in Dubai among numerous other developments around the world. One of their main offices is in Chiang Mai and the Robles guy who is actually Mexican, not sure if he is Mexican American or where he prefers to eat, The Salsa Kitchen or Miguel's, also spends his time here.

While I also subscribe to the "I'll believe it when I see it" scenario there are many incentives for a company that invests a lot of time and money into Thailand. Also, with the rising costs of filming around the world, Thailand is a bargain, particularly with the animated stuff that Creative Kingdom specializes in.

There is also the new mall going into the San Kampang area and the Dutch group that is building it is already here securing the major tenants for the project.

Back in Arizona the buzz for several years was MGM and some partners were going to build the same thing..Hollywood in the desert.

Wasn't that supposed to be focused on cgi/animation projects? I seem to remember reading about that a few years back in LA.

Wasn't that supposed to be focused on cgi/animation projects? I seem to remember reading about that a few years back in LA.

Yes, and also a large studio lot.

Almost the same as described as what they want to build here.

It just went away one day.

The cities of Glendale and Peoria were falling all over themselves trying to kiss as much behind as possible. It was discusting.

And might that be property that was once going to be the new airport. Or perhaps the former public lands in San Kampheng that were taken over, via encroachment, by a very well connected family where the local protest against the illegal land grab resulted in the murder of a local school head which resulted in a few short lived protest marches in Chiang Mai that led to nothing.

You sound like an idiot.

If anyone would have done a search on Creative Kingdom they would have found that this is the company that designed the Palm Island in Dubai among numerous other developments around the world. One of their main offices is in Chiang Mai and the Robles guy who is actually Mexican, not sure if he is Mexican American or where he prefers to eat, The Salsa Kitchen or Miguel's, also spends his time here.

While I also subscribe to the "I'll believe it when I see it" scenario there are many incentives for a company that invests a lot of time and money into Thailand. Also, with the rising costs of filming around the world, Thailand is a bargain, particularly with the animated stuff that Creative Kingdom specializes in.

There is also the new mall going into the San Kampang area and the Dutch group that is building it is already here securing the major tenants for the project.

Hooray for the USA , a shot in the arm for a falling economy here. Despite what the rest of you nabobs of negativism say. This is a prime prospect area

for Hollywood. First you complain and then you complain again ! What is wrong with you guys ?

I interviewed this company a while back for an article I did on the Thai entertainment industry.

At that time, one of their foreign staff complained that Chiang Mai was not a good location as very few (if any) direct flights flew into the city making it business unfriendly.

Kantana has been trying to get their movie town off the ground here in Bangkok for years and still - no go.

I wish companies would stop with the empty pr to up stock prices on any given day. This kind of manipulation is not only unlawful (in the west) but just bad business.

From someone involved intimately with the entertainment industry in Thailand and Asia, I can tell you, unless Thailand introduces lucrative incentives for filming here, no one is going to show up at Creative Kingdom's Chiang Mai Wood's doorstep.

Absolutely agree.

Just like all the other so called projects that failed to materialize over the years, including the ski slopes that was confirmed but faded away into oblivion.

much needed shot in the arm that CM/Thailand needs, hope they complete it. esp when theres a water fun park planned :)vdo clip of CNX~Wood

Villas looks nice, beach anyone? :D

That was quite a presentation. A little ambitious and maybe someone is dreaming. Nice dream, though.

Also, as far as the name goes, Chiang Mai Wood, what a great name. Maybe a little too much testosterone.

Weird with all the cynicisim...if it doesn't come to pass, then so be it, but I know that if it does, the local economy would benefit greatly. As someone mentioned, these guys did The Palm project in Dubai, so they are not afraid of a challenge and certainly not lacking in major balls! I for one wish them luck. Think of all the builders, the service industry, tourism benefits, and of course star power to attract more people and investors.

Weird with all the cynicisim...if it doesn't come to pass, then so be it, but I know that if it does, the local economy would benefit greatly. As someone mentioned, these guys did The Palm project in Dubai, so they are not afraid of a challenge and certainly not lacking in major balls! I for one wish them luck. Think of all the builders, the service industry, tourism benefits, and of course star power to attract more people and investors.

That's just what the video reminded me of, Dubai. Two places where the wealthy don't actually work for a living and may be out of touch with where money comes from. That said, at least Dubai is a financial center of sorts.