Pattaya Is Finished

thaimate

The OP maybe right or not, I don't have a view. But it's interesting to note that the five posts following are from fairly new members, those with membership numbers in the high 50,000's and 60,000's. Maybe there's a honeymoon period folks go through before the novelty wears off, not sure, just a an observation.

Too many posters seem to think "new to Thaivisa = new to Thailand".

Rubbish!

I had already made my home in Thailand for 19 years before I joined TV.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^ Agreed Sir, I had lived here about the same amount of time when I joined TV, when these forums first start up it takes them a while to develop, when TV first started there was little i could participate in. :)

I have been living in the "dark side" since 2005 with my wife (thai), now we got 2 baby and living in the same place togther with more and more farang and thai people. I like to stay in Pattaya for the rest of my life...eventhough I'm not a thai people and I still have to work in other country. You like it, you stay, you don't like it, stay away!

I'm also no newbie to Pattaya.

Just arrived, and it's certainly quieter than I've ever seen it. However, there have been too many bars for a lot of years now, and they need to get back to a number where those still operating are again profitable. I just feel sorry for the girls, who are the ones suffering.

In some act of insanity, the plod have driven the freelancers off the beach walk, which is now pretty deserted at night. I just hope the plod soon realise that no customers in the bars/ on the beach translates to no tea money for them! At the present, I doubt any bar is making enough to be handing over the usual wads of cash.

As for the new Central- deserted. The Avenues is hanging on by a thread. Went to the movies there. 3 customers! That wouldn't even pay for the electricity.

Away from family tourist areas which are pretty dead, Pattaya is booming. Soi Buakaow is busy as ever. IMO, the mongers/ long term expats have read the writing on the wall, and moved to where they are more welcome.

Soi Buakaow is busy?

The place is dead as the rest of Pattaya!

When i walk there at night, i can count the customers in the bars on 1 hand!

OK, I was there in the daytime and it was really busy, but maybe at night time it's different. Saw plenty of guys in the bars then, too. Perhaps they all have early nights.

Agree that Pattaya itself is quiet, but Naklua was quite busy the other evening, lots of customers in the bars.

Also, I was down Walking Street last night, and it's just as busy as in April.

I'm also no newbie to Pattaya.

Just arrived, and it's certainly quieter than I've ever seen it. However, there have been too many bars for a lot of years now, and they need to get back to a number where those still operating are again profitable. I just feel sorry for the girls, who are the ones suffering.

In some act of insanity, the plod have driven the freelancers off the beach walk, which is now pretty deserted at night. I just hope the plod soon realise that no customers in the bars/ on the beach translates to no tea money for them! At the present, I doubt any bar is making enough to be handing over the usual wads of cash.

As for the new Central- deserted. The Avenues is hanging on by a thread. Went to the movies there. 3 customers! That wouldn't even pay for the electricity.

Away from family tourist areas which are pretty dead, Pattaya is booming. Soi Buakaow is busy as ever. IMO, the mongers/ long term expats have read the writing on the wall, and moved to where they are more welcome.

Soi Buakaow is busy?

The place is dead as the rest of Pattaya!

When i walk there at night, i can count the customers in the bars on 1 hand!

OK, I was there in the daytime and it was really busy, but maybe at night time it's different. Saw plenty of guys in the bars then, too. Perhaps they all have early nights.

Agree that Pattaya itself is quiet, but Naklua was quite busy the other evening, lots of customers in the bars.

Also, I was down Walking Street last night, and it's just as busy as in April.

Sorry to disagree with you , but walking street was empty at 10m 30 on wed night. OK it was the middle of the week but i have never seen it this empty. Also a lot of Old falang ex pats seem to have dissapered , maybe they stop in now i dont know , and the ones i have seen , seem to be on the way down , health wise, may be living in bars every day and night has some thing to do with it,There are many old portly men about , i am trying to be polite,

So please Thaimate tell us some positive things that have been happening in Pattaya lately?? I would really like to know.....

...anywhere you go you`ll get ripped off, Ride a big bike you will get fined, go to a bar and end up buying 20 drinks

Tell me some positive I would like to know.......

What a load of nonsense.

Just realised I haven't posted for AGES. I'm sure you all missed me.

I too would leave claw marks in the concrete if I was dragged away. I don't even plan to leave when I die. I have organised a Buddhist funeral.

BUT it is the quietest I have known it for 5 years. High season didn't happen. Some falang owned bars and go gos are still ticking over as they offer value for money and customer service. Thai owned businesses are going to he wall as they apply the Thai logic of less customers so those that are here have to pay more. Honourable exception the owner of What's Up whose really got her game together.

Violence against falangs is increasing as the Thais are frustrated that Pattaya is not the money pot it once was and ripping off falangs is getting harder by the day. However levels of violence in Pattaya are as nothing compared with any major town in UK. was in Derby recently and I can tell you the town centre after dark is a very scary place. You can be in the wrong place at the wrong time in Pattaya but I find after 5 years I know where the trouble will be and avoid that area and I can smell trouble brewing and just checkbin and out of there. Never had a serious problem in 5 years. Come close a few times I just flagged down a passing baht bus and told him 100 baht to get out of here and there is pretty much always a baht bus around.

Torrent just finished off now.

Pattaya is not dead but it has changed. You've also got to get the age group of your sample right as well because it is no good just having retirees because they are affected less than other groups. For younger people and those in business, Pattaya has changed considerably in the last 5 years and overall, not for the better. Where positive additions have been made, they supplemented the existing facilities but some of the negatives are new and they mount up if they impact on your life.

Perhaps the best way to summise things is that the research done 5+ years ago would throw up totally different issues if done again today. For some, it reinforces their decision to come to Pattaya whilst others would not have done so if things were then like they are now.

Personally, I think it is not as easy going as before and I think it is harder to do business of all sorts. I think there has been a fundamental shift rather than a gradual progression.

Lighten up dude, for sure Pattaya has it share of problems, scammers, scumbags, dope dealers, you name it, but many just might choose to stay for awhile till thing impove, not to worry they will return, so in the mean time if I were there I would relax and enjoy the Calm(peace and quite) :D:):D

Pattaya is not dead but it has changed. You've also got to get the age group of your sample right as well because it is no good just having retirees because they are affected less than other groups. For younger people and those in business, Pattaya has changed considerably in the last 5 years and overall, not for the better. Where positive additions have been made, they supplemented the existing facilities but some of the negatives are new and they mount up if they impact on your life.

Perhaps the best way to summise things is that the research done 5+ years ago would throw up totally different issues if done again today. For some, it reinforces their decision to come to Pattaya whilst others would not have done so if things were then like they are now.

Personally, I think it is not as easy going as before and I think it is harder to do business of all sorts. I think there has been a fundamental shift rather than a gradual progression.

Could you include some specifics in your post and give some examples of what your referring to. In particular lines 2,3,4,5,

I'm finishing work in Bangladesh this weekend, will not return tourther work in Vietnam until the end of July.

So I thought I'd spend a few days in Angeles City - Pampoanga - Philippines.

I am reasonably well known there, visiting five or six times a year. So I contacted several hotels that I use there. None could accommodate me for the full week that I will be there, but a bit of juggling has got me spending a couple of nights at each of three medium-priced (for AC) hotels.

That is US $ 45 per night (roughly). And the hotels are full.

Pattaya hotels at (say) <US $ 30 per night are quoting 20% occupancy.

No bars are closing in AC. No hotels are laying-off staff.

I live in Pattaya - my family are here, but I do not wear rose-tinted specs. Things are bad in Pattaya and no-one is taking any action to remedy the situation.

Soi Walking is dead, been there a few nights recently, talked to some bar girls i know and they said there is foot traffic but mostly Middle eastern/Russian and they dont spend $$.

I went to soi 6, havent been there in awhile and right off i see they are raising prices !!! When quoted i laughed hysterically and walked away. Gouge the farangs that are loyal and stay! :)

personally i can not fault it been going for years, have a house on the dark side and the only thing i hate about Pattaya is having to leave it from time to time !!!!!!

Agreed...and I prefer the term "Farside" as there is nothing "dark" to living on the "other side" of Sukhumvit.

Geographically speaking the term should be "Eastside" as it's the eastern area of Pattaya.

Soi Girl Hunter mentions prices are up on Soi 6, is this across the board everywhere on everything or are you talking about certain bars, barfines, or drinks and ST/LT

Could you give some examples, particular interest to me would be Red Point, the Halifaxs and Saigon Girl

Cruised down Beach Road on the bike just after Midnight and it was like Margate on a wet Wednesday !

From the end of Beach Road up Pattaya Tai and onto Second Road it was like an empty Baht bus convention.

Saw virtually no one walking until I got well past RGP and a glance down Walking Street was hardly blocked by bodies.

A few people in some of the bars abutting Second Road and I know (from a recent night out) that there was some reasonable activity along Soi Bukhao.

Still, it is the quietest I have seen - even in the Thai establishments between Third Road and Bid C.

I'm finishing work in Bangladesh this weekend, will not return tourther work in Vietnam until the end of July.

So I thought I'd spend a few days in Angeles City - Pampoanga - Philippines.

I am reasonably well known there, visiting five or six times a year. So I contacted several hotels that I use there. None could accommodate me for the full week that I will be there, but a bit of juggling has got me spending a couple of nights at each of three medium-priced (for AC) hotels.

That is US $ 45 per night (roughly). And the hotels are full.

Pattaya hotels at (say) <US $ 30 per night are quoting 20% occupancy.

No bars are closing in AC. No hotels are laying-off staff.

I live in Pattaya - my family are here, but I do not wear rose-tinted specs. Things are bad in Pattaya and no-one is taking any action to remedy the situation.

But they are..........they are raising prices and engaging in a social engineering program that will eventually attract boatloads of rich, wealthy tourists.......just wait.....everything will be fine........

"its medication time.........medication time.........its medication time........medication time.........." :D :D :)

A barhop on Tuesday night revealed:

Pattaya Beergarden doing great with over 100 customers. I've been there everyday this week and they're doing a good trade.

Walking Street had plenty of walkers.

Secrets had plenty of customers.

Windmill was too packed, so I didn't stay.

Club Diamond was packed with girls and customers until 3am.

Pattaya is far from finished.

A barhop on Tuesday night revealed:

Pattaya Beergarden doing great with over 100 customers. I've been there everyday this week and they're doing a good trade.

Walking Street had plenty of walkers.

Secrets had plenty of customers.

Windmill was too packed, so I didn't stay.

Club Diamond was packed with girls and customers until 3am.

Pattaya is far from finished.

Seems you enjoy the same places as I do, except for the Beergarden.

But your choice was definately good, those places are always frequented, however many other places are rather deserted.

Anyway it shows, that at the end quality wins.

keep seeing these posts about how Pattaya is finished ,full of violent criminals and generally the sort of place you wouldnt want to bring up a familly.well i say what a load of old b-llocks some of you talk .

I will admit that if your going to live in the centre of Pattaya with your familly and go out to the bars every night while the wife/girlfriend stays home then its not ideal and you are going to encounter violent guys and your kids are not going to grow up in the best of enviroments .but the same could be said if you lived and frequented any red light area in the world.

in 20 years i have never encountered violence ,i have been ripped off ,twice in that time never for massive amounts and for the last four years have lived here with my wife and son ,who goes to a good school and has good Thai friends .

So to all you doomsayers ,if you think its so bad ,go somwhere else where you feel safer but stop f---g moaning.

have a nice day.

Normally, if you use common senses and not buy any houses in somebodies name, you shouldn't have any problems in Pataya. Bar girls or not bar girl, it's all the same. There are everywhere good and bad ones. One thing is very important: NEVER get involved with the family. Peaple only loosing money, because they don't using common senses. Mosthly it's our fault, if we get cheated. Never trust someone and you will never lose anything. Personally with al the good and bad things: i think Pataya still the best place to stay.

Toursim is down big time and it probably wont recover any time soon.

Pattaya needs a bit of rationalisation as there are probably too many bars, night clubs,restaurants etc anyway...

The locals are hurting no doubt .....I know quite a few night time workers who are really scrapping to make any money who previously were very busy year round...

Pattaya needs a bit of rationalisation as there are probably too many bars, night clubs,restaurants etc anyway...

It doesn't have much to do with rationalisation. It's a market economy and the market will dictate who will survive and who won't. There are plenty of places still doing good business, just as there were plenty of businesses doing badly when tourist numbers were high.

The only bad thing about Pattaya is the time it takes to post on Thai Visa. With ONLY 2 users on line, the "Add Reply" service hung for 5 mins until I logged off and tried again. And having to write posts off-line in case the screen goes blank when you try and upload :):D:D

Apart from that, the place is great. I have been here 12+ years and I feel safer out at night than I do in my home town in England.

OK, every town has its problems, but Pattaya has no more than many other (civilised) places in the world. Yes, we hear the BG scams, but they are mainy from Newbies, who would get scammed in other countries as well. But if think with your real head, and use ONLY your brian for decision making, things can go smoothly.

OK, my gripe is I would like to BUY ONE house in my name (link it to my passport if they want). I RENT a house similar to the one I would buy, so I would not be not deleting the housing stock, as I already occupy it or similar.

I like the "Vibrant Nightlife" that Pattaya has to offer, but a few Km out, you also have the tanquility of a county life. We have the best of both words.

The only downside is the Tourists, or maybe some residents, who thinks that "F"ing and "Blind"ing is part of the Queens English, as was pointed out by a Thai Girl to me, who said Farangs were not as polite as her Mother told her they were in her day. Such is the change in OUR Society and their values. :D

Graham

That is the new breed of tourist who will soon make up the majority of visitors to Pattaya now. They're easily recognisable, shaven heads, football shirts, tattoos, foul language, aggressive natures and bad manners. These people are not going to endear the Thai people to falangs. The Benidorm Fusiliers have discovered Pattaya and it will change forever. Don't buy a house, rent one because you will not be able to sell it. Look at what's happened to the property market in Spain.

The OP maybe right or not, I don't have a view. But it's interesting to note that the five posts following are from fairly new members, those with membership numbers in the high 50,000's and 60,000's. Maybe there's a honeymoon period folks go through before the novelty wears off, not sure, just a an observation.

Rubbish! I had already made my home in Thailand for 19 years before I joined TV.

How true this is! I only joined this a couple of weeks ago too. After running my own discussion forum and site on the web for 12 years and never having been a member of any other forum apart from my own, I thought I would give this a try and see how the other half lived. To be honest I can't see myself hanging around too long, too many would be if they could be snipers and 'narks' here.

Yes, I first came here in 1970, and my 1st Trip to Pattaya was in 74. Had 2 Thai restaurants in Aust, married to a Thai for 24 years and live in a STRICTLY thai middle class area in Outer Suburban Bangkok. No other farangs here. You will notice I have not posted in the 'Where Do you Live in Thailand Thread' and I won't be going to either,

I have seen Pattaya almost 'die' a few times over the years. When people said it would never recover, but it always has. The most significant of these was at the height of the terrorist scare after 9/11 and Bali and at the same time the SARS Virus hit. There was absolutely noone there then, except the very hard core Ex Pats.

Pattaya, as I have said elsewhere has changed more in the past decade than it has in the past 4. You know, when I was a young bloke you hardly ever saw a fight in Pattaya. It was a very happy town, plenty of grog, plenty of sex, plenty of fun. Anyone who prefers a fight to a fuc_k has problems in my book. But then you can say that about many places in the world today.

I admit, personally I am 'over' Pattaya, the novelty is just not there for me anymore, but for those who love it still, god bless you and good on you. When the arabs almost took over the entire south end towards the end of the 80's, I recall swearing I would never set foot in the place again. But of course I did. And I will again too.

Once upon a time, ALL the real action was in Bangkok. You only ever went down there for a weekends hard run on the piss and to play up. When I was a regular drinker at the Grand Prix in Patpong, Sam, Ian, John Murdoch and others we would often take off on a weekend EXPED to go and have a drink with BJ at BJs Bar and to drink tequila shots interspersed with going a few rounds with BJs 'Snuff Gun', using the wolrd famous Cophenhagen Snuff - Those were the days!!!

One thing you have to agree with though, it is a bloody noisy joint.

That is the new breed of tourist who will soon make up the majority of visitors to Pattaya now. They're easily recognisable, shaven heads, football shirts, tattoos, foul language, aggressive natures and bad manners. These people are not going to endear the Thai people to falangs. The Benidorm Fusiliers have discovered Pattaya and it will change forever. Don't buy a house, rent one because you will not be able to sell it. Look at what's happened to the property market in Spain.

Yawn.

Rubbish! I had already made my home in Thailand for 19 years before I joined TV.

How true this is! I only joined this a couple of weeks ago too. After running my own discussion forum and site on the web for 12 years and never having been a member of any other forum apart from my own, I thought I would give this a try and see how the other half lived. To be honest I can't see myself hanging around too long, too many would be if they could be snipers and 'narks' here.

Yes, I first came here in 1970, and my 1st Trip to Pattaya was in 74. Had 2 Thai restaurants in Aust, married to a Thai for 24 years and live in a STRICTLY thai middle class area in Outer Suburban Bangkok. No other farangs here. You will notice I have not posted in the 'Where Do you Live in Thailand Thread' and I won't be going to either,

I have seen Pattaya almost 'die' a few times over the years. When people said it would never recover, but it always has. The most significant of these was at the height of the terrorist scare after 9/11 and Bali and at the same time the SARS Virus hit. There was absolutely noone there then, except the very hard core Ex Pats.

Pattaya, as I have said elsewhere has changed more in the past decade than it has in the past 4. You know, when I was a young bloke you hardly ever saw a fight in Pattaya. It was a very happy town, plenty of grog, plenty of sex, plenty of fun. Anyone who prefers a fight to a fuc_k has problems in my book. But then you can say that about many places in the world today.

I admit, personally I am 'over' Pattaya, the novelty is just not there for me anymore, but for those who love it still, god bless you and good on you. When the arabs almost took over the entire south end towards the end of the 80's, I recall swearing I would never set foot in the place again. But of course I did. And I will again too.

Once upon a time, ALL the real action was in Bangkok. You only ever went down there for a weekends hard run on the piss and to play up. When I was a regular drinker at the Grand Prix in Patpong, Sam, Ian, John Murdoch and others we would often take off on a weekend EXPED to go and have a drink with BJ at BJs Bar and to drink tequila shots interspersed with going a few rounds with BJs 'Snuff Gun', using the wolrd famous Cophenhagen Snuff - Those were the days!!!

One thing you have to agree with though, it is a bloody noisy joint.

You said: "Pattaya, as I have said elsewhere has changed more in the past decade than it has in the past 4. You know, when I was a young bloke you hardly ever saw a fight in Pattaya. It was a very happy town, plenty of grog, plenty of sex, plenty of fun."

Yes......exactly.........I remember that was the case even around 1986 when I first came over--crime (not an issue), cost of living (not an issue), visas (not an issue), xenophobia (not an issue), traffic jams (not an issue), etc.

As you said, it was a happier, more fun time. Seemed far more relaxing (less stress) back then. It was a good place to retire.

And, from my own personal perspective, the expats were, by and large, nicer and far less greedy and aggressive.

You tell youngsters that today and they either don't believe it, or don't care. But they should care.

When something goes from good to bad, no matter what it is, you should care.

When i made the original post i was refering to the fact that Pattaya wasnt finished as a tourist or retirement destinationand that when it all calms down in the world the tourists will return. however i think that it will never be a high end tourist destination ,just the same as Blackpool will never become one.

It is what it is ,unfortunatly the single men that i see here are not the same as those 20 years ago ,now its a more "rough tattood crowd" sorry if you have tattoos and a pigtale but are a decent bloke ,its just the image most give out !!

as a familly man Pattaya is in fact better now than when i came here to party ,more stores ect ,we just live out of town and come in to shop so never see fights or drunkeness in the bars at night,but if i had to choose it as a holiday destination now or years ago ,boy years ago wins hands down.

Yawn.

Double yawn.

Yawn.

Double yawn.

I regret that you found my contribution to the subject being discussed boring. I first came to Pattaya in 1984 for a holiday. I have been spending 6-7 months out of every year for the last 10 years in Pattaya and have seen many changes. One of the changes involves the behaviour of many of the falang visitors and as this is an open forum I thought I would type in what I have observed regarding the matter being discussed.

For you to avoid being sent to sleep or getting bored by any comment I may make in the future you can easily remedy the situation by scrolling past any threads that you see bearing my name and move on to the next entry.

as an aside to all this I have just returned from the UK visiting family.we had a night out at the local "in"place,Plymouth Barbican and it was great,no violence just people enjoying themselves with plenty live music in various establishmentsand the weather was very warm!!!As I left I bought a newspaper and one headline was"Britain the most violent country in europe"!!!2034 violent crimes per 100,000 residents .Perhaps they are all in Liverpool!!!Personally I have never had any trouble in Pattaya and manage to survive OK.

I was in LK Metro and Soi Buakaow last night and in most parts it was deserted.

I was one of two customers in Champagne ago-go not much before midnight and one of five customers in Oasis around the same time.

I noticed the hel_l Club has re-opened and is now called The Devils Den

I don't visit the area that much but It's the quietest i've ever known it.

I live on the Darkside and its just as quiet there in that many expats who used to frequent the bars around Maprachan Lake and could be seen on a regular basis have mostly gone back to their respective countries.

I see very few of the same expat guys from eighteen months ago.

I agree the area is not very crowded nowadays. Just like 2 yrs ago it was an adventure to cross Soi Buakaow at night, with all Songthaews and Motorcycs.

Funny to read though that people living in the Maprachan Area are going home. I wonder why, as I thought most of them are retired, so no direct impact of the bad economy for them (except for exchange rates maybe).

Anyway I wonder what many expats are really doing here! Some of them are looking like being 20 yrs away from retirement, but apparently do nothing for life. Either millionairs or their money last 12 -18 months and then back home, without anything. Dreams are over quickly in Pattaya, if you go the wrong way.

Cheers

The only bad thing about Pattaya is the time it takes to post on Thai Visa. With ONLY 2 users on line, the "Add Reply" service hung for 5 mins until I logged off and tried again. And having to write posts off-line in case the screen goes blank when you try and upload :):D:D

Apart from that, the place is great. I have been here 12+ years and I feel safer out at night than I do in my home town in England.

OK, every town has its problems, but Pattaya has no more than many other (civilised) places in the world. Yes, we hear the BG scams, but they are mainy from Newbies, who would get scammed in other countries as well. But if think with your real head, and use ONLY your brian for decision making, things can go smoothly.

OK, my gripe is I would like to BUY ONE house in my name (link it to my passport if they want). I RENT a house similar to the one I would buy, so I would not be not deleting the housing stock, as I already occupy it or similar.

I like the "Vibrant Nightlife" that Pattaya has to offer, but a few Km out, you also have the tanquility of a county life. We have the best of both words.

The only downside is the Tourists, or maybe some residents, who thinks that "F"ing and "Blind"ing is part of the Queens English, as was pointed out by a Thai Girl to me, who said Farangs were not as polite as her Mother told her they were in her day. Such is the change in OUR Society and their values. :D

Graham

Guys, if these are the type of tourists that are going to arrive by the bus loads, then I for one am glad that "Pattaya is finished" insofar as tourist numbers are concerned.