Approximate Costs For Kitchen/bathroom Overhaul

Hi guys

My wife and I live in the UK (London) but last year we bought a Thai Property on the advice of her father (an architect) who said the rather dilapidated old house had massive potential. We bought it, 6 months later came back to see what the father had done with it and lo and behold it was an awesome job, absolutely stunning exterior in a very Thai style, completely renovated.

Some work has gone on internally, but the kitchen and bathroom(s) need a complete overhaul.

The upstairs bathroom is basically as the previous owner (ex Thai army general)had left it, western toilet but with a hose-shower onto the floor for drainage and a water-holder type thing made out of concrete for showers the old fashioned way.

We basically want to completely change everything in the bathroom, new tiling, shower unit etc.

The second thing is the kitchen. At the moment it is ridiculously small due to the fact that for whatever reason the previous owner decided to install a large toilet in the kitchen area (all walled off of course with separate door). We only want to keep the upstairs bathroom so we were thinking of demolishing the toilet and making one large kitchen. Everything would have to be done from scratch so basically it would the costs for building a kitchen.

Anyone got any ideas of budget? The house is in a quiet area on a soi off the Suttisarn Rd (Huay Khwang) and we paid 2.5 million baht for the dilapidated house and the wife's family spent another 600,000 baht on restoration.

In the context of the work on the kitchen and bathroom - would 300,000 be enough for a decent but not extravagant set-up? I really don't know the costs and the wife's father is an architect but has no idea as to internal costings as his focus is on structural engineering etc. Any feedback would be appreciated.

kitchen cupboards, 12,000baht per meter lengh, upper and lower cupboards, then more for appliances,

bathroom, toilets start from 2000 baht to 60,000baht, sinks from 300baht to 30,000baht, baths from 2000baht to jacuzzies at 100,000baht plus. anyway do you know how long a piece of string is?

kitchen cupboards, 12,000baht per meter lengh, upper and lower cupboards, then more for appliances,

bathroom, toilets start from 2000 baht to 60,000baht, sinks from 300baht to 30,000baht, baths from 2000baht to jacuzzies at 100,000baht plus. anyway do you know how long a piece of string is?

In metric or English units? :o

One thing I love about building in LOS is the price of granite/marble.

You can do the kitchen countertops (granite) and the floor (marble) w/out breaking the bank. No ugly grout lines... :D

I suspect the toilet in the kitchen was for the maid so you have to decide if you are going to have support later and if you need. If the only other toilet is upstairs I would advise keeping it.

Do you have space outside the kitchen area? A patio type or car port? Most Thai cooking is better done outside the house so these areas, with an open roof, can often be used for stove and wash and food preparation areas. I would not be looking for cabinets unless you plan air conditioning full time as you need circulation to prevent mildew and mold. So an open room with refrigerator(s) and open shelves for storage with an eating table or counter is all that you need inside. Tile floors and walls, perhaps with marble accents. Plenty of electric outlets.

As for cost the other posters are right - it is how much you want to spend - if you want the western cabinets and built in stove etc. it will be much more expensive - you can get a good idea as the various kitchen showrooms on Ratchada or in the malls as to the costs.

Major bath expense can the bath/spa if you chose to have that. We have chosen to use only showers in five bathrooms and very happy with them. Other than for children playing baths are not a requirement to keep clean and most Thai prefer a safe, flat shower footing on anti slip tile than trying to take a shower in a bathtub.

You could do it for 300k baht for sure, even cheaper I would imagine.

and tuky, u could have had a shower for 600baht, but u chose a 20,000baht enclosure to go round it, aint seen a 300,000baht kitchen yet, well apart from ones we have pulled out to dump...

and that screen is in the bluddy spare bathroom :o

our jacuzzi/spa cost about 70k, only a small one.