Whale-watching 'worth Billions'

jackdanielsesq

I have never been on a official whale-watch - saw & smelled them aplenty in Santa Monica bay off my boat - but know many, many folks have enjoyed it immensely. Maybe its a big deal if ya from Chicago or why!

I imagine it must fit in well with Phuket's environmentally-friendly approach to Nature.

This article does give one pause for thought.

There goes the price of sashimi!!

BR>Jack

Whale watching generates far more money than whale hunting, according to a report released at the International Whaling Commission (IWC) meeting here. Worldwide, the industry now generates about $2.1bn per year, it says. The group commissioning the report, the International Fund for Animal Welfare (Ifaw), says whaling countries would gain from a switch to whale watching. However, Iceland's delegate here said the two industries were compatible and could grow together.

post-73935-1245748557.jpeg

I have never been on a official whale-watch - saw & smelled them aplenty in Santa Monica bay off my boat - but know many, many folks have enjoyed it immensely. Maybe its a big deal if ya from Chicago or why!

I imagine it must fit in well with Phuket's environmentally-friendly approach to Nature.

This article does give one pause for thought.

There goes the price of sashimi!!

BR>Jack

Whale watching generates far more money than whale hunting, according to a report released at the International Whaling Commission (IWC) meeting here. Worldwide, the industry now generates about $2.1bn per year, it says. The group commissioning the report, the International Fund for Animal Welfare (Ifaw), says whaling countries would gain from a switch to whale watching. However, Iceland's delegate here said the two industries were compatible and could grow together.

First thing to do is find out if there are any Whales off the coast of Thailand!

Yeah really - that kinda crossed my mind also :)

BR>Jack

First thing to do is find out if there are any Whales off the coast of Thailand!

Maybe you could just get one shipped to Phuket, then have lots of copies made. :D

Edited by Garry9999

there are some around Angthon Marine National Park in the gulf, I have seen some of them ;-) I guess they were Black Whales

post-56008-1245809451_thumb.jpg

there are some around Angthon Marine National Park in the gulf, I have seen some of them ;-) I guess they were Black Whales

post-56008-1245809451_thumb.jpg

Dwarf Minke Whale perhaps?

Why the photo of the basking shark?

I remember watching a Dicovery or NatGeo show on whale watching off the coast of SF, USA. The whale watchers were thrilled to see a mother grey with calf. Their joy turned to horror as the pair were attacked by a pod of orcas, worked into exhaustion by the pod, and then the calf was killed and eaten in front of everyone. If you want to see Mother Nature in all her glory, especially as a business venture, then be prepared for the unexpected as well.

They're always advertising the Whale Sharks somewhere down in the South,Kao Tao or Phi-Phi area,I'm sure plenty of people would pay good money to see these spectacular creatures,even if they're not Whales strictly speaking.

I was a bit skeptical at first, but after looking in to it, it appears there are whales in the gulf of Thailand, other than just whale sharks.

post-82287-1245813600_thumb.jpgpost-82287-1245813741_thumb.jpg

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/thai/shown...NEWS=0000007306