Marrying A Thai Girl In Thailand

brian272727

Anyone know in basic terms what I need to do to have a legal marriage in Thailand. I am a UK citizen and she is a Thai citizen.

Quick bit of background:

My Thai GF and I plan to marry in the next 12 months but due to the expense of the Sin Sodt and other wedding expenses she is going to do so without telling her parents, a shotgun wedding of the Thai variety if you like.

What documentation do we need to do this? Is it a straight forward procedure? What should I bring from the UK?

Also Is there some sort of ceremony/ritual be can get? Would be nice to feel we had actually done something symbolic other than signing a piece of paper. Would be good to get photographs etc as well as would support her settlement application.

Neither of us have married before, have children and are both 30 years old.

I married my Wife in the Local Amphur office in Bangkok .....the registrar had a TV sitting on a table next to my chair, she took a pictures of us..

...in one pic it clearly shows that Saddam Hussain appeared to be my best man, as he had just been found hiding in a hole asking if he had beaten David Blaine's record? :D

We had a Monk ceremony the following week to bless the marriage, which will be 5 years long on July 2nd.

You don't need much, just the stuff from the embassy and copies of any decree Nis's you may have from any previous marriage.

GOOD LUCK :)

Her brother did the same thing because his wife is poor. Her mum seemed ok with it.

They are quite a rich family so the Sin Sodt would be above my current savings limit, hence the shotgun approach.

Her mum "hates farlang" anyway and we would be moving to the UK as soon as possible after the wedding.

Its just an option at the moment but I am not getting myself into debt for anyone and need all the cash I have for travel, savings and making her visa.

Her brother did the same thing because his wife is poor. Her mum seemed ok with it.

They are quite a rich family so the Sin Sodt would be above my current savings limit, hence the shotgun approach.

Her mum "hates farlang" anyway and we would be moving to the UK as soon as possible after the wedding.

Its just an option at the moment but I am not getting myself into debt for anyone and need all the cash I have for travel, savings and making her visa.

Brian,

Good luck.

Seems real this one to me. It's refreshing.

all these idiots with the scare mongering, good luck to you mate, she sounds genuine to me....

i'd be more worried of paying the sin sod and building a house on the family land and then having to exist on buttons, thats when the farang seem to get bumped off to me :)

Why don't you just get a UK engagement visa, which last 6 months. This way you can both live legally in the UK, find out if you both like it and don't upset anyone by getting married and not telling them. This avoids the need to get married before coming over.

If it works out and you still want a quiet one head up to grenta.

At a later date you can have a ceremony in Thailand.

The sin sot is just for show i gave my wifes parents 5m baht in cash, they looked good in front of there friends and the money was back in our joint account the following day. If she is not a bar girl its fine.

good luck any way

Why don't you just get a UK engagement visa, which last 6 months.

What's a UK engagement visa ? For 6 months ?

Does anybody know if you get that for Europe, inside Schengen Agreement, as well ?

Thinking about getting married, but ............. who can you trust ?

I might go shopping across the border, in Cambodia !

She's no spring chicken so probably sees this as her last chance and doesn't want to scare the OP off,her family probably think the same!

Best of luck with it all,BTW! :)

You must be kidding? She's 30 years old with zero children, so she has plenty of time forgod sake.

Anyway, good luck to you op

Edited by Misplaced

The sin sot is just for show i gave my wifes parents 5m baht in cash, they looked good in front of there friends and the money was back in our joint account the following day. If she is not a bar girl its fine.

In the real world believe most would call it an obscene display of wealth. Which is exactly what it would be in my view. :)

Why don't you just get a UK engagement visa, which last 6 months.

What's a UK engagement visa ? For 6 months ?

Does anybody know if you get that for Europe, inside Schengen Agreement, as well ?

Thinking about getting married, but ............. who can you trust ?

I might go shopping across the border, in Cambodia !

you lucky "dog f'ers"..Canada eliminated its fiancee visa 6 years ago :) You should help the family by doing odd jobs for them if you are handy..and the mom may come around..."kill" her with kindness...make it your mission to make her accept you...go in the FRONT DOOR, not the BACK DOOR (and why does mom hate farangs???)

Signed, Canada

Myself and my wife did almost the same as what you are planing to do ,her family live in Bangkok she stayed in Chaing Mai we got got married in Chaing Mai her mother and family was not told about the wedding :) but after the wedding we traveled to Bangkok where I payed a very low sin sot 30000baht :D which my wife told her mother she can keep. Best of luck to you Highlander76

Anyone know in basic terms what I need to do to have a legal marriage in Thailand. I am a UK citizen and she is a Thai citizen.

Quick bit of background:

My Thai GF and I plan to marry in the next 12 months but due to the expense of the Sin Sodt and other wedding expenses she is going to do so without telling her parents, a shotgun wedding of the Thai variety if you like.

What documentation do we need to do this? Is it a straight forward procedure? What should I bring from the UK?

Also Is there some sort of ceremony/ritual be can get? Would be nice to feel we had actually done something symbolic other than signing a piece of paper. Would be good to get photographs etc as well as would support her settlement application.

Brian, first off: Congratulations.

Secondly, like some people have said, don't do the shotgun thing. Just don't.

If you do, you will have problems with your in-laws for a long time.

What kind of background does your fiancée's family have?

Have you met Paw and Mae? How did that go?

Just go to them, talk to them about it. Say you cannot afford sin sod, especially if you do not get it back.

You do need a Cerficate of no impediment to Marriage from your homecountry.

What kind of

...in one pic it clearly shows that Saddam Hussain appeared to be my best man, as he had just been found hiding in a hole asking if he had beaten David Blaine's record? :D

omg, i must see this picture, stat.

same same... i must see. please post if you didn't already. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Quick bit of background:

you know i have a problem much like this im trying to find a way to get my love back to the USA but her family wants 15000 for a doury .... thats US cash ok thats alot and will take a life time...

how can i get here here in the USA should i marry her on paper will this help her chance?

can i do it without her family knowing it and come back for the real thing?

the problem is this who wants to wait 15 years to be together? i dont ...she dont so what can we do?

if i tell her family she will marry me without they will not talk to her any more they need or should i say want that money.... i will give them there dam_n money thats fine but we cant just sit back and blow away time what can i do to get her here she wants to work and biuld a life together we both do we want it now not is 20 years.

Passport only.

All the rest of the sh!t can be taken care of near the embassy.

what about birth certificates and proof they're not already married..

Unless the rules have changed since 2005 I didn't have to show proof of either.

Since then the wife and I have moved to the USA without any problems.

The wife being Thai and myself a Brit.

Passport only.

All the rest of the sh!t can be taken care of near the embassy.

what about birth certificates and proof they're not already married..

From the link provided by Lite Beer on p1:

Please bring with you to the Embassy your passport and evidence that any previous marriages have been dissolved/terminated (death certificate or divorce certificate(s) as appropriate). Only the original evidence or a certified copy will be accepted – photocopies will not be accepted under any circumstances.

A bachelor's word will be accepted as evidence that he is a bachelor - perjurers can be jailed when they get back to the UK.

Birth certificates are only relevant for the visa application. Ten years ago you could apply for the settlement visa for your wife in advance, provided the interview was after the marriage. I don't know whether that can still be done - ask at the non-Thailand visa forum. It seemed to be quicker if the Thai partner had already been turned down for a visitor's visa.