Legally Undertaking Ad-hoc Consulting Work

I am a British guy married to a Thai lady, and am currently living in Thailand on an extended Non-Immigrant-O visa (based upon supporting my wife and child). After being employed in Thailand for a number of years, I am looking to set-up a company that will allow me to legally undertake some consulting work in Thailand, to fill in the gaps between “proper” salaried positions.

From previous posts I understand that as I am married to a Thai, the requirement for obtaining a work permit is simply 1M Baht of registered capital (and no need for 4 Thai staff – real or otherwise :o ). Based upon this understanding could anyone advise me on the process and the “ballpark” figures (lawyers, accounting etc.) to setup and to maintain a business that will purely be used as a vehicle for me to legally work for other companies on an ad-hoc basis?

I am thinking of using the study in my home as the registered office, as I have no plans to turn this into a major moneymaking scheme, or to recruit any additional staff. Just a means to an end!

Advice and suggestions on the above would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Rags

Hi -

If you send me a conventional e-mail message to which I can reply with attachments, willsend you several documenst that outline procedures and elements of expense.

The scenario you outlined is basically correct. If the legally registered owner of the home will certify your company as a registered business tenant, and allow a company name sign to be posted outside, then you can use your home as your official business address.

Monthly accounting can run anywhere from 1,200 baht, up to about 25,000 baht. At the low end, you get no English capability, and little experience (bookkeeper fresh out of school).

Revenue department fines for errors, omissions, or late submissions tend to run on a daily basis, so savings you think you are getting from a low-cost provider can evaporate overnight.

Good luck!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

Bangkok

[email protected]

www.thaistartup.com