Littering Fine.

cookiesunshinex

Today while walking down Sukhumvit road, around Soi 9. My friend was stopped by a police officer and kindly asked to pay 2000baht.

This had happened to another friend a few weeks earlier, and I'd seen the same police at this same little location giving out tickets before, so we have been very careful about where we throw trash or put out cigarette butts.

The irritating thing about this situation, is that my friend actually threw the cigarette butt in a trash can that one of the street vendors had sitting next to his stall. It was not an official city/public trash can, but it was a trash can no less.

He tried to argue his case, and even asked the officer to go back and look where he had deposited the cigarette butt, however, the officer was not willing to listen or negotiate and only pointed to the public trash can.

He was able to get out of it for only 1000baht however.

The boys in brown actually have to prove that the butt is yours.That means they have to retrieve the actual butt that you friend erroneously placed.

If you pay more than THB200 then you've been shafted.telling the cop to take a visit down to the police station and to fill out all the paper work normally puts them off a little.

They tried it with me down at chaduchak...I gave it the old jai ron routine and they gave up. I just goes to show you that all they want to do is fleece tourists, A thai street cops worst nightmare a falang that can speak thai..those fools cant arrest you anyway just tell em to shove it

anybody ever seen a thai pulled in and fined for this ?

no.... i didnt think so.

its just another official scam.

Never seen it,but a friend of mines wife threw a butt into a drain.A cop did stop her and ask for money. She told the cop that he must retrieve "her" butt and also pointed out that she was wearing lipstick so be very sure. Cop turned and walked away. :o

A copper tried this on my Mum on Sukhumvit. She had thrown her cigarette butt in the gutter next to where a Thai stall holder had. When the copper came over, the stall holder tried to claim that both butts were hers! The copper tried to get her for both of them but she just played the dumb tourist and got away with it. :o:D

no.... i didnt think so.

its just another official scam.

Yes, I have. But only once :o He told them he won't pay and they then informed him that it's off to the police station. He said he won't pay anyway so two tetsakij grabbed him by the arms and hauled him off.

On another occasion I saw a van driver drop a cigarette butt right in front of a tetsakij. Nothing happened.

those fools cant arrest you

i think you are right , they are not police.

i think they are employed by the city authorities.

Just look at their belts...no cuffs, no gun...security guards have more authority than those idiots, all they do is try it on with fleecing tourists and fining stall holders who then hand over 200bt and get back to work

I have actually seen signs located in that police booth that clearly say 2000 baht fines for tossing the butts. I always just flick the lit end off and carry the butt til I find a trash can. Smoking is expensive enough without a 2000 baht fine.

dont get me wrong I hate littering but there were no bins in the talat at all and I put out my cig and put it with a pile of refuse. They still tried to do me, when I pointed out the lack of bins he showed me one in the distance that you could only see on a clear day with a telescope

Usually, the closer you are to a touristy area the more common this situation is. Imagine how much these cops pull in each day be collecting these fines...since you must wonder how much of the money is actually turned into their department heads.

Don't kid yourself. There's always somebody watching such money activities. A cop who doesn't pass on monies he's collected will soon be caught out and likely relegated to the shittiest patrol, with little or no chance to make money or earn a reprieve as long as he's at the station. I've collected a few cop friends over the years, and I love picking their brains on such topics.

They can legally get a percentage, anyway. 25%, last I heard... That's 500 baht in his own pocket per 2,000 baht pop. :o

If I was him, I'd be working that corner 24 hours per day :D

Outside the immigration office in Silom, I was hastily puffing away and then just dropped the but on the floor and squished it with my foot, my hubby quickly walked back to my but, picked it up and put it down the drain, I was baffled for a sec untill I turned and saw one of the MiB who was marching towards me do a complete 180 and return to his post. Haha! gotta be quicker than that mate! :D:D

Anyway hubby scolded me, telling me not to do that around so many police! :o

(spelling edit :D )

Edited by Shola

While I have never got the butt baht fine...I do get stopped and fined many times when riding my motorcycle from Pattaya to Sattahip. Even though I wear the helmet and legal the highway police will stop me and usually ask for a B500 fine.

Last time it happened I was with my regular gal, we got stopped and I was simply fed up with the harassment. I told the cop I wasn't paying and if I had done something wrong then to ticket me. After about 10 minutes of back and forth my gal said I had better pay or it could get very ugly like me being dragged into the bushes and never come back.

I guess the highway to Sattahip is their own personal toll road!

I was butt fined near Siam Square, the guy had a German and a Canadian in tow with him then caught me dropping the butt into the road drain. Took the three of us, to a small booth and tried to get 2000 thb off each of us.

I refused to pay 2000 but I didn't want to lose my temper with the guy as I reckon they could get you hauled off to the nearest station if you start mouthing off to them. In the end they were demanding to see my passport, I couldn't show it as I didn't have it with me. I paid 500 thb as I had tickets for a Thai movie (Holiday Inn or something) and it was starting within a few minutes. The movie turned out to be a complete turkey although my girfriend enjoyed it.

I was butt fined near Siam Square, the guy had a German and a Canadian in tow with him then caught me dropping the butt into the road drain. Took the three of us, to a small booth and tried to get 2000 thb off each of us.

I refused to pay 2000 but I didn't want to lose my temper with the guy as I reckon they could get you hauled off to the nearest station if you start mouthing off to them. In the end they were demanding to see my passport, I couldn't show it as I didn't have it with me. I paid 500 thb as I had tickets for a Thai movie (Holiday Inn or something) and it was starting within a few minutes. The movie turned out to be a complete turkey although my girfriend enjoyed it.

I also refused to pay the fine too. My situation was that I was in front of Siam Square. I looked fo the trash, but found none so I was going to drop in the plant's pot. I saw the officer as I was going to do that. He also looked at me, but didn't move or act like he was going to warn me so I did drop it. That was it! He just ran to me and told me that I would be fined. I looked at him and said, "Officer, there is no trash around here. Besides, you saw me, but didn't warn me. That means you breach your duty." He didn't listen and try to take me to the booth. I went there and also talked to his superior. They all turned pale when I say all kind of things that they were suppose to warn me before I litter anything. Finally I paid 500 baht for that, but they will remember me for a long time.

Golf

Edited by Golf

I also refused to pay the fine too.  My situation was that I was in front of Siam Square.  I looked fo the trash, but found none so I was going to drop in the plant's pot.  I saw the officer as I was going to do that.  He also looked at me, but didn't move or act like he was going to warn me so I did drop it.  That was it!  He just ran to me and told me that I would be fined.  I looked at him and said, "Officer, there is no trash around here.  Besides, you saw me, but didn't warn me.  That means you breach your duty."  He didn't listen and try to take me to the booth.  I went there and also talked to his superior.  They all turned pale when I say all kind of things that they were suppose to warn me before I litter anything.  Finally I paid 500 baht for that, but they will remember me for a long time.

Golf

In this case then the police officer should have been fined for not warning people from littering, if that is the logic.

Last July, a friend of mine got caught throwing a butt in the park near Sukhumvit and soi 22. He paid 5000 baht but, yes five t-h-o-u-s-a-n-d, but thought it was real funny. (cop must've been looking at buying gold for the mia noi)

I though putting a cigarette butt into one of the millions of plastic bags you can find on the sidewalk or along the road would be fine...

Three very basic tips to avoid a hassle free time on Sukhumwit.

1) have a smoke BEFORE you leave your hotel.

2) If you must smoke on the street hold on to your cig end until you find a suitable recepticle for it. Littering, even a cig end, is vile.

3) Wait til you get to your destination or stop at a place which has smoking facilities before smoking.

Easy Peasy!

Edited by ProfessorFart