Blatantly Mis-delivered Parcels

Jingjok

I’ve recently been clearing out stuff as part of my plan to leave Thailand. So off I go to my condo in Hua Hin which I haven’t visited for three years. Unwilling to pay Air Asia’s rip-off excess baggage charges, I pack all my personal stuff into boxes, and post it to my place in Phuket, prior to putting the condo up for sale.

The boxes were clearly addressed to me at my home address.

Part of my reason for leaving is the trouble I had with an ex-girlfriend, who took my car, passport etc (see previous thread :) )

Well, the helpful postman, who has both my and my ex’s mobile phone numbers, could not get an answer on my phone (I was in Malaysia for a few days) so he rings the ex. As suggested by her, he delivers all my stuff to her new address, which is miles away and of course under a totally different name.

What the hel_l is this? It’s an outrage that’s what it is. I wonder what the legal position is (not that I’d bother).

As you went to Hua Hin and back to Phuket...surely a car would have been the best option....rental starts at 800 Baht a day, so max 1,600 plus gas, but you must have paid bus fare to get there which is at least 700 each way...beter planning in the future is needed..

I have had parcels delivered to me on the side of the road where I met the courier. No ID shown, just waved them down, sign and their off. I think my mobile was written on box, but anyway my experience is, like most businesses I have dealt with here, whether it be the Telecoms, BIB, or Office Depot, they want the quickest and easiest solution to a problem that they can find. In contrast to the customer service we are usually used to receiving in the west, there are usually no consequences for being lazy or inefficient in Thailand, so why not? It seems it's either within their policy, or at least within their practice to deliver wherever anyone answering a phone which they have the number to tells them to.

I think I remember your old thread. That the one where she made off with the Caribbean or something? I remember keeping an eye out for it. So does this mean your out all the stuff you shipped as well?

Not much help now, but for future reference, you can have parcels delivered to the post office and held for your pickup. When addressing the parcel, use the address of the post office as the street address, along with your name. Just show your ID, and they'll hand over your parcels. We did this several times when we needed to receive parcels from my wife's family before we had a stable address in Phuket. The post office likes to have a phone number included with the destination address, but from our experience, they rarely use it. Best to have the sender get an estimate of the arrival date at the destination, then turn up at the post office on that date and ask if its arrived.

Presumably he was given the number by you / your ex when you were together and you didn't advise no longer to use? If so obviously his fault.

Hang on.. The postman calls a 3rd party without it being on the mailing.. and thats the customers fault..

No its sloppy 3rd world thinking..

Thai postman (not even courier apparently - lucky it made it to Phuket) uses his 'initiative' (i use the phrase loosely) and its not what the OP wants.

Am sure mia farang conveniently smoothed the edges on his dealings with Thais before when written authority from the OP would have been needed to avoid being '3rd world'.

Why did he have her number in the first place?