Do Temples Cremate Pets

Now thats a very good,post,as i never thought of that.Even though i dont have dogs,i will be very interested to read the replys.

Good one johndoe

I have never seen it asked or answered either...and we've got two cats...and one is pretty old [15]. No immediate need but likely in future and will have the information when needed :)

I found out according to the wife, daughter, son-in-law(spent time as a Monk), step son, Older Thai neighborS(man and wife) plus a host of other Thai people in and near my house NO, repeat No, only people, a couple of them are still laugh at the question..

I had my dog cremated at a temple at Khlong Toei, by the River, several years ago. Can't remember the amount of the donation but perhaps a couple of thousand Baht.

Is it a normal practice for temples to cremate family pets if requested?

If so, what is the normal costs? If not, are there crematoria that provide these services?

My feeling is they do not generally, but in Bangkok they is a place who do cremation for animals, i saw the leaflet at the vet once, i did not take it.

i hope my pet has few years more to enjoy my company.

My friend took his dog to a temple he know and ask the abbot if he can be buried on the ground, they said yes and find a spot for him, near the garden!

Donation was few thousand baht

Edited by simcity

A 50 gallon barrel, wood/old tire/diesel fuel should do the trick. The old Thai cremations left out the 50 gallon barrel. Be a do it your selfer. If not comfortable with my suggestion, hire a local, detail requests, provide baht and carcass, have a moment of reflection, a drink and get on with it.

In CM there's a vet who offers this service. They told me the name of the Temple, but I forgot.

I have the impression that some Temples do (for a donation of a few 100 baht), but many don't. Best is to go there and ask.

I found out according to the wife, daughter, son-in-law(spent time as a Monk), step son, Older Thai neighborS(man and wife) plus a host of other Thai people in and near my house NO, repeat No, only people, a couple of them are still laugh at the question..

Well, that's why I wanted to ask...I didn't know if there is any cultural or religious taboo about cremating an animal in the same "sacred" space where people are cremated. However, from the responses, there does seem to be some latitude in attitudes and practices regarding this matter. There is also the matter that many wats take-in stray cats/dogs or have them dumped on them and what do they do with them when they die?

So can you ask all your relatives what is common practice when their pets die...do they generally bury them? What about all the people with dogs/cats/pets in Bangkok where burial and home-done cremation (as suggested by one post) are not feasible?

I guess the answer is maybe...so when the time comes, just ask around till you find an abbot who says "hai satang noi noi mai mee paan haa."

My Thai wife is offended by the idea.

A friend of mine recently had her much loved dog cremated at a temple.

There are obviously, a few sad and pathetic people who believe they are so much more important than other life forms that it is an insult to even cremate them in the same way, but fortunately some people/monks are more intelligent and believe otherwise.

I'm not v educated on Buddhism, but isn't all life important?

There are obviously, a few sad and pathetic people who believe they are so much more important than other life forms that it is an insult to even cremate them in the same way, but fortunately some people/monks are more intelligent and believe otherwise.

Yes you are quite right. Only the village idiots and pompous holier than thou's would scoff at such an idea.

Still would'nt it be best to just bury it in the garden?

Yes you are quite right. Only the village idiots and pompous holier than thou's would scoff at such an idea.

Still would'nt it be best to just bury it in the garden?

Yes, but if you are about to move its far nicer to be able to cremate your much loved pet.

Funny how some Thai's are offended by the thought of an animal cremation, but think nothing at letting a roadkill dog/cat lie there for days. Even in tourist areas. However we live in the sticks and all our dead cats and dogs are feeding the fruit tress behind the house. I hate the job, but I don't just throw 'em in, and many a tear has been shed by me. Usually think "Silly soft sod" later but that's how I am.

I think your post answers my question best...thx :)

I think your post answers my question best...thx :wai:

Quite seriously. In our village they do not Cremate animals (Dogs) but unless obviously diseased they do Barbecue them. I,ve seen and been offered the meat.

• 2 weeks later...

They do cremate dogs at Klong Toey temple,.

I have heard various versions of the costs - one being that it is 600 baht if you do not wish to keep the ashes, and 2,500 if you do wish to keep them. However, I have also heard that there is no fixed charge and that you just give a donation.

My dog's cremation there was organised by Thonglor pet hospital as she was put to sleep there, and the cost was part of their total bill, so I am not certian what the costs are.